What's new

Apply Changes Problem (378.55)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chrisjs

Occasional Visitor
I have been using the Merlin builds for a couple of years on my AC66U without any issue and making minor tweaks to the set-up from time to time; I installed build 378.55 months ago. Recently, I chose to disconnect the internet while doing some PC maintenance and had a very difficult job getting a connection back; the core problem was that any changes that I attempted to make would not "Apply" - including turning the internet back on, loading firmware etc - I just got a spinning wheel for as long as I cared to leave it.

Eventually, I did a factory reset, reloaded the 378.55 firmware and set the whole thing up again. Now, on the final tweaks, I am getting the spinning wheel and losing the ability to make any changes to the configuration; is this a known problem and is there a solution or workaround?

Questions and comments appreciated.

Chris

How are you logging in? 192.168..... etc. or by hostname? If hostname, try it by internal IP address.

Next have you tried a different browser? Are you using Chrome? Try it on Firefox.

Just what are these "final tweaks"? Could it be one of these final tweaks that's causing the problem? If nothing else works, go back and check after each of thses final tweaks till you locate the problem.

Somehow, I don't think it'll come to that.

Thanks for the questions and comments.

Martinr,
Logging in with IP address from Windows. I routinely use Firefox as my browser. Just tried using IE with the same result. In case it helps clarify the symptom, successful changes always seem to have a countdown % as the change is applied; with the problem condition, no % or countdown appears, just the spinning disc. Closing the tab lets me back in to the interface and I can apparently view all pages and sections.

The first occurrence of the problem was when I used the "big button" on the main login page (Network Map) to turn off the connection. The last tweaks before the problem and posting here was to attempt to change the Network Place settings (Samba share) of the router - I successfully applied permissions to allow Guest Login but was unable to change the Device Name. I am writing this post in Firefox while the wheel spins over in IE after attempting again to make the same change. To test further, I attempted to add another allocated LAN IP addresses, having set two previously, and produced the same spinning wheel result.

Sanna1967,
I have tried turning off the firewall of my (Viper) package before posting, but with no effect. Also, after the whole recovery exercise, I was able to successfully enter ISP details, specified IPs for LAN devices etc, so communication doesnt seem to be my problem.

Apologies in advance for any stupidity on my part that I have managed to invent and hoping your patience persists.

Chris

"Closing the tab lets me back in to the interface and I can apparently view all pages and sections."

Just to clarify, Chris. So you close the tab with the never-ending swirling wheel and then in a new tab type in the internal IP address of your router, and that immediately takes you to the main router gui page - already logged in. Correct?

And the change you attempted to make that resulted in the swirling wheel, when you now revisit that same setting, did the setting get applied?

Good spot martinr and thanks for the thread pointer; my understanding of RFDS & NVRAM use is duly improved and I will go and grab a text copy of settings via SSH while I figure out how to use the NVRAM utility. To your questions of clarification:

Confirmed - new tab does indeed take me to main gui page already logged in.

Confirmed - the settings, or any of several that I have tried, do not get applied, which is the nub of my problem.

Correction and update:

New tab after spinning wheel takes me back to whatever tab I was trying to change the settings on, logged in.

Used gui to attempt turning on SSH, got the spinning wheel and no % count, new tab goes back to same page, but SSH setting seemed to change. Unfortunately, change seems to have been a gui illusion - after log out and back in settings were unchanged and I couldnt get a telnet (putty) connection to work, which it has in the past.

Last edited:
Try starting your browser in 'no-addons' mode. I've seen this myself, especially with some Chrome extensions.

Good spot martinr and thanks for the thread pointer; my understanding of RFDS & NVRAM use is duly improved and I will go and grab a text copy of settings via SSH while I figure out how to use the NVRAM utility. To your questions of clarification:

Confirmed - new tab does indeed take me to main gui page already logged in.

Confirmed - the settings, or any of several that I have tried, do not get applied, which is the nub of my problem.

You didn't say if you have since restored to factory default settings (RFDS) to rectify previously having done it before flashing. It ought to be done, especially if John's suggestion of a pesky Chrome browser doesn't help. An RFDS often fixes things that nothing else does.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!