What's new

Archived versions?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

davebruno

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,
I'm trying to find archived versions of merlin as I am reading guide after guide trying to get my VPN connection stable to no avail, I'm convinced there is a bug with the newer releases that is stopping me connecting on port 1196 to PIA with optimal settings. The N66U runs it perfectly but the AC68U just wont run it unless I change the port and some other stuff and then maxes out at 15mb/s.

Ideally I want to flash back to an old release that also supports overclocking so I can get the speeds up further (I have a 200/20 con and rev A2 of AC68U). I found this really good guide for PIA VPN on version 378.56_2 (https://www.privateinternetaccess.c...throughput-on-pia-with-an-asus-rt-ac68#latest) And want to follow it but it wont connect on the newer versions of Merlin..

Thanks for any advice

Dave

Edit: Just tried flashing Johns Fork and it said no because of regulatory changes, is it even possible for me to downgrade? I may just return this router and go with a netgear at this rate, I got it because I read that ASUS were very opensource friendly and stable :/

You need to use the recovery environment to flash prior versions (but running old firmware is not recommended if you are security conscious).

https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1000814

If I remember correctly, PIA has changed some things internally. That old guide for that old firmware is probably out of date now (even with the old firmware installed).

Continue to ask questions (others can help better) and you'll get what you need from your Asus router. NG is a giant step backwards, imo (for many, many reasons), even if it allows you to do what you want 'today'.

You need to use the recovery environment to flash prior versions (but running old firmware is not recommended if you are security conscious).

https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1000814

If I remember correctly, PIA has changed some things internally. That old guide for that old firmware is probably out of date now (even with the old firmware installed).

Continue to ask questions (others can help better) and you'll get what you need from your Asus router. NG is a giant step backwards, imo (for many, many reasons), even if it allows you to do what you want 'today'.
Thanks for your response, the main problem I'm finding is that it runs smooth on the N66U so there must be something with either this router or the firmware thats not optimal, I hate asking so many questions but I've read all the old threads on it and I'm stuck with a really unstable VPN con at the moment which is irritating me.

I notice you say that its a big step backwards, is there anything particular to gaming in which the new firmware has made improvements? While I obviously am security conscious gaming performance tops all other concerns for me and so the stability of the VPN/connection is top priority. Also it being a revision A2 (local store had no B or C revisions) I am very interested to overclock it if that is a bottleneck for it.. Can I overclock using tomato do you know? I am looking at going over to that to see if the VPN is more stable but again I don't know how this will effect gaming related performance/features.

Thanks for any help!

While I obviously am security conscious gaming performance tops all other concerns for me and so the stability of the VPN/connection is top priority.
If gaming performance is your absolute priority then don't use a VPN. That's just adding a massive overhead right there.

If gaming performance is your absolute priority then don't use a VPN. That's just adding a massive overhead right there.
I play cash tournaments and wager games and DDOS boots are a regular occurrence, having a static IP I cant really leave myself open to this, also I find that if I leave too much of the routing up to virgin I get a higher jitter which the VPN tends to reduce.. on the N66U on London PIA server I was getting 3-4ms higher ping with almost no jiitter

PIA deprecated port 1196....use port 1198 instead

See this guide for the latest PIA info
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/ho...-for-pia-and-other-vpn-providers-07-19.30851/
Thanks for that info John I will try it shortly and see if I get any more stable, does your fork allow for overclocking? I'm concerned the CPU (being rev A2 and only 800) will also be a bottle neck that overclocking would remove/improve..

does your fork allow for overclocking?
Yes. I don't recommend going over 1200 for the cpu clock (1400 can get erratic), and some routers can't handle going over 666 for the mem clock. I'd try 1200,800 and see how it works. (That's how I run both my AC68R and AC68P, but both with added cooling. The AC68R especially got a little warm for my taste with the overclock, even after fixing the heatsink)

Yes. I don't recommend going over 1200 for the cpu clock (1400 can get erratic), and some routers can't handle going over 666 for the mem clock. I'd try 1200,800 and see how it works. (That's how I run both my AC68R and AC68P, but both with added cooling. The AC68R especially got a little warm for my taste with the overclock, even after fixing the heatsink)
Cheers I will try them settings now and try going to your fork!

Anything else I need to worryabout when OC'ing? Since I have the A2 and I dont plan on messing with the heatsink? I may buy a small USB fan if that would run off the usb port on the back?

Edit: Currently on with no encryption (supposed to give full ISP speed) getting 7 meg.. something is not right I'm following the settings in the link you provided.. Here is the setup:

OvWuFHs.jpg

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!