What's new

Are there powerline adapters that don't depend on mains power?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tgl

Very Senior Member
I'm interested in using powerline networking to replace wifi bridging in a couple of places. However, so far as I can tell all the available products draw power from the mains they're plugged into. That's a showstopper for me, because short outages are common around here, so all my network gear is supported by UPSes. I assume from what I've read that plugging two of these into the battery-powered side of two different UPSes is not gonna work. So ... has anyone heard of units that draw their power from elsewhere, like maybe PoE?

If you've got Ethernet runs, you don't need PLAs.

I'm interested in using powerline networking to replace wifi bridging in a couple of places. However, so far as I can tell all the available products draw power from the mains they're plugged into. That's a showstopper for me, because short outages are common around here, so all my network gear is supported by UPSes. I assume from what I've read that plugging two of these into the battery-powered side of two different UPSes is not gonna work. So ... has anyone heard of units that draw their power from elsewhere, like maybe PoE?
Thera are Power Line Adapters that provide PoE.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!