What's new

Arris To Add McAfee Security Platform To Broadband Products

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Julio Urquidi

News Editor
arris-sbg7580-ac.jpg
The first Arris product to get McAfee Secure Home Platform embedded is the SURFboard SBG7580-AC gateway. The Intel-owned McAfee security platform will protect home network products, including computers, mobile hardware, and IoT devices from viruses and malware.

Features of the McAfee Security Platform include:
  • Cloud-based backend
  • Device identification especially for IoT devices
  • Internet pausing
  • Real-time alerts
  • Mobile app for remote management
  • Parental controls that restrict and schedule access
The Arris SURFboard SBG7580-AC with McAfee Secure Home Internet will be available in the first half of 2017.

The Intel-owned McAfee security platform will protect home network products, including computers, mobile hardware, and IoT devices from viruses and malware.
Just want to clarify, TPG now has 51% ownership while Intel has 49% as from the following link. But Intel pretty much still has it. Hope McAfee subscription will be cheaper than Norton one which is about $10 monthly. But I trust McAfee slightly less than Norton based on AV scores, yet I still use it as it has unlimited devices plan.

I thought Intel were trying to get rid of McAfee, or at the very least of the name itself?

In any case, I don't have much faith personally in McAfee's product. Had nothing but bad experiences with their products since the WinXP days.

Wonder how this will stack with Norton's version of a "secure" router. As much as I dislike Norton and McAfee, at-least these vendors are trying to tackle the security problems instead of just releasing new hardware every 6 months with bad software. Hope other manufacturers take this into consideration and support their routers more long term with firmware updates.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!