What's new

As good or better than RT-AC86U ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ClockerXP

Occasional Visitor
Howdy-
I have an RT-AC68U. I was looking at getting an RT-AC86U for the increased VPN performance. I got one from Amazon but the 2.4ghz radio was dead and I have been reading a lot of horror stories about quality problems with this router. So for now, I am just overclocking my 68U.

Is there something as good as (or better than) the RT-AC86U for Merlin VPN performance I can get?

Thanks!!

Howdy-
I have an RT-AC68U. I was looking at getting an RT-AC86U for the increased VPN performance. I got one from Amazon but the 2.4ghz radio was dead and I have been reading a lot of horror stories about quality problems with this router. So for now, I am just overclocking my 68U.

Is there something as good as (or better than) the RT-AC86U for Merlin VPN performance I can get?

Thanks!!
I have been quite happy with the AX88U a total VPN beast!

I had several different ASUS routers over the last few years. (RT-AC68, RT-AC87U, RT-AC88U, AC-RT86U and RT-AX88U). The RT-AX88U is by far the best ASUS router, especially when loaded with Merlin firmware.

The 86u is an excellent router. Been using mine with no problems since November. Yes there are reported issues with the 2.4g radio not working. I suspect the number is small compared to the number of units sold. Amazon will replace it at no cost to you. The AX88U is probably a good choice if you don't mind paying more for it and you actually need an AX router.

The RT-AC86U and the RT-AX88U will perform the same for VPN duties. RMerlin firmware recommended, of course. :)

In the recent past, I have had great success with both my personal RT-AC86U and with many customers units I have configured and set up for them. No issues and all say the best WiFi they've had so far.

I can agree with their statements too, except when comparing pure range vs. the RT-AC3100 I am now using as an AP. Even though the range is better, the WiFi throughput is still higher on the RT-AC86U.

Too bad the RT-AC3100 only has 1.4GHz processors though (not as good VPN performance).