What's new

Assistance with AX88U & AC5300 Hardwired Backhaul Settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hew1975

New Around Here
All, I am savvy enough to hardwire / backhaul my AC5300 to my AX88U but could really use some help walking me through all of the technical settings and features. I have a 1 gigabite Xfinity service through my Motorola MB8600 that also allows bonding / aggregating but have no idea how to make it all work, after 3 hours of reading online posts. Here is my current setup:

Xfinity 1 Gigabyte service
Motorola MB8600 Modem
Asus AX88U Wifi Router (Current Version : 3.0.0.4.384_8018)
Asus AC5300 Aimesh Node - Backhauled via ethernet (Current Version : 3.0.0.4.384_81792-gdbb995b)

Any help or guidance on the settings, links to previous posts with similar hardware or screenshots of GUI settings would be extremely helpful. I am even willing to pay an expert to guide me through the best setup.

Thanks in advance.

I have a AX88U with an AX58U setup as an AP. I tried setting it up as a wired Aimesh node but I felt I got slightly better performance setting up as an AP and manually configuring non-overlapping channels. I kept basically every setting as the default. I did enable roaming assistant at -70dBm. I do have smart connect enabled with default settings.
upload_2020-4-26_19-26-40.png

upload_2020-4-26_19-27-3.png

All, I am savvy enough to hardwire / backhaul my AC5300 to my AX88U but could really use some help walking me through all of the technical settings and features. I have a 1 gigabite Xfinity service through my Motorola MB8600 that also allows bonding / aggregating but have no idea how to make it all work, after 3 hours of reading online posts. Here is my current setup:

Motorola MB8600 Modem
Asus AC5300 Aimesh Node - Backhauled via ethernet (Current Version : 3.0.0.4.384_81792-gdbb995b)

Any help or guidance on the settings, links to previous posts with similar hardware or screenshots of GUI settings would be extremely helpful. I am even willing to pay an expert to guide me through the best setup.

Thanks in advance.

My notes may help with basic configuration.

OE

Motorola MB8600 Modem

Thanks in advance.
I noticed you have 1Gb and a MB8600 on AX88U, same as me. Have you tried enabling WAN Aggregation??

I noticed you have 1Gb and a MB8600 on AX88U, same as me. Have you tried enabling WAN Aggregation??
I have not and would love to hear how to make that work. Can someone explain what settings need to change to enable WAN Aggregation and make it work?

Thanks but don't I need to have two (2) internet connections?

Yes. What did you mean when you said you want to 'enable WAN Aggregation'?

OE

If it's a single 1gb internet connection, not sure what wan aggregation would achieve?
The wan port on the router is full duplex anyway. Would only be of use for a connection higher than 1gb surely?

Would only be of use for a connection higher than 1gb surely?

Or two WAN connections regardless of their provisioned speeds. Aggregating two 5/1.5 Mbps DSL connections... now there's a real need!

OE

Aggregating two 5/1.5 Mbps DSL connections...

No such thing with Asus. Load balancing as option. With default settings from 5/1.5 you get 1.5/1.5. Device separation to specific WAN possible. This is the way to utilize better dual WAN. When it works. It doesn't work reliably.

No such thing with Asus. Load balancing as option. With default settings from 5/1.5 you get 1.5/1.5. Device separation to specific WAN possible. This is the way to utilize better dual WAN. When it works. It doesn't work reliably.

5/1.5 referred to a typical DSL down/up speed.

The point of my post was that a 1 Gbps ISP connection is not much of a hardship to warrant WAN aggregation.

OE

5/1.5 referred to a typical DSL down/up speed.

Speed example doesn't matter. Load balancing by default makes it 2 x slower connection on Asus. AFAIK the code is untouched for years. May work, may not. Asus doesn't use WAN aggregation term. It's far from what pro equipment does.

Speed example doesn't matter. Load balancing by default makes it 2 x slower connection on Asus. AFAIK the code is untouched for years. May work, may not. Asus doesn't use WAN aggregation term. It's far from what pro equipment does.

You still don't get it. When do you go back to work?

OE

I get what you mean. Correcting the terms you use. Tech forum, right?

I doubt this venue has anything to do with it.

OE