What's new

Asus 3100 — Merlin upgrade and now open vpn performance issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Burnerdroid

Occasional Visitor
Hey all — just upgraded my ac3100 to 386.2.6 from a 384x.x (it was a 2019 build)

used to get around 40-60Mbps running open vpn nord udp all dialed in...

now I am sitting at 17dl 12ul. Tried multiple different udp servers and same results. Looks like the router is running 100% cpu during speed tests though OVPN - I am guessing there is some sort of beefed up encryption going on. Tried to do some research how to lower encryption but can’t figure it out. I tried playing with cypher in the addition settings but can’t seem to figure out how to get more speed. I understand the 3100 processor is old and can only handle so much, wondering how I can get some bandwidth back to the 40-60 range where I was at before. Please let me know what I can try, I think it is for sure an encryption thing, as that would make sense newer beefed up encryption is causing 99-100% cpu load on speed test. Before it was 99 and I was getting way more speed. Any advice appreciated. Thanks!!!

Have you read the changelog?

As you have upgraded from a very old firmware version , you would be advised to factory reset your router.

Have you read the changelog?

As you have upgraded from a very old firmware version , you would be advised to factory reset your router.

did this and it worked. Thanks so much for the suggestion. Looks like OVPN versions went up too. Getting 50-70 now, used to have a top end near 60. Thanks!!! In a few years will get a better asus with more powerful cypher encryption cpu (probably 88u when the price comes down a little)