What's new

Asus 5GHz channels in the UK?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Chippy_boy

Regular Contributor
Just a quick question: I have an old RT-N66U which has served me well for years, but it's time for an upgrade.

I notice my 66U offers me the following 5 GHz channels:

This is running Merlin 380.67 (latest version). Is this normal? I thought in the EU we were locked down to only 4 lower channels?

I am not in the EU so I have no experience, but based on other threads on here, I thought the EU had the lower non-DFS channels + a portion of the DFS channels. What you didn't have were the high non-DFS channels.

Thanks.

I guess what worries me is that perhaps my next router (RT-AC68U perhaps) might be more crippled. It's not just the channels, it's also the TX power. If I have a router which at the moment outputs much more power than the new ones, then perhaps a new router won't deliver the speed and range improvements I am hoping for?

I notice my 66U offers me the following 5 GHz channels:

this just depends on what county code the 66u is using for its wifi

if you purchased it in the uk and then purchase the 68u in the uk they should have the same country code and thus the same channels available

going from the n66u to the rt-ac68u wont be that much of a jump performance wise but it will have some improvement in both coverage and throughput ( depending on your wireless clients )

you might want to consider going into the wave 2 wireless ac stuff as you will notice quite a big gain in coverage and throughput

Is this normal? I thought in the EU we were locked down to only 4 lower channels?
Those are the correct channels for the UK. The lower channels without DFS plus the higher ones with.

I went from an N66U to an AC68U earlier this year. It's noticeably better on the 5GHz band :), mainly because of the improvements that the AC chipset brings.

Thanks folks. The thing is, I've been messing about trying to improve coverage and ended up running some diagnostics on my Mac. The Mac said that the N66U was reporting an EU country code, which is in conflict with other items on the network.

That's why I ended up checking the channels. So I don't know whether my router's output is limited in some way? I believe the EU power limits are lower than that of the UK, right?