1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Asus 86u $120

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by Gar, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Gar

Gar Senior Member

royarcher likes this.
  2. consorts

consorts Senior Member

thanks gar, i'm waiting till refurb or open box
    ac2900's are selling under $100 to change models.
    this $100-$120 price range is pretty common on ebay
    and i prefer their 30-day buyer protection
    to newegg's crappy rma system.

royarcher and Gar like this.
  3. Philip Austin

Philip Austin Occasional Visitor

Thanks for sharing

Gar likes this.
  4. CaptainSTX

CaptainSTX Part of the Furniture

If you buy a refurbished unit be sure to purchase it from an outlet that will let you return your unit as some of the units manufactured in 2018 have had hardware issues so if the unit hasn't been thoroughly tested you may get someone else's problem child.

Given that Amazon has this router for $159 new and a generous return policy buying a refurbished unit with just a 90 day return period vs. the one year manufacturer's warranty on new units offered in the USA.

Gar likes this.
  5. Philip Austin

Agree Refurbished units do have these kind of issues, I always buy refurb products from the outlet which let me return it, thanks for the heads-up:)

6. CaptainSTX

CaptainSTX Part of the Furniture

For the most part I have no problems with refurbished routers. The AC86 IMHO is a special case. In fact I used a refurb AC1900P which I purchased to fill in while I was going through multiple RMAs with ASUS when my original AC86 crapped out and then several of the refurbished AC86s they sent me in exchange were duds right out of the box.

Another problem that some unsatisfied purchasers of AC86s have complained about is their router crapped out shortly after its one year anniversary.

Philip Austin likes this.
  7. consorts

consorts Senior Member

i got a steal on a ac3100 from a craiglist seller after light use (he went with some orbi mesh pucks) and notice these asus routers run crazy hot 80°c so i added a $5 usb fan to mine week one it's been working hard over a year now without issue. i suspect a lot of these asus that die in a year or two are simply overheating, and any cheap fan use will extend it's life by years. maybe asus are made to handle heat, but after running a linksys wrt1200ac for years at 60°c, i wasn't going to take any chances ;)

8. Philip Austin

agree linksys do have overheating issue