What's new

Asus 86u $120

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thanks gar, i'm waiting till refurb or open box
ac2900's are selling under $100 to change models.
this $100-$120 price range is pretty common on ebay
and i prefer their 30-day buyer protection
to newegg's crappy rma system.

Thanks for sharing

If you buy a refurbished unit be sure to purchase it from an outlet that will let you return your unit as some of the units manufactured in 2018 have had hardware issues so if the unit hasn't been thoroughly tested you may get someone else's problem child.

Given that Amazon has this router for $159 new and a generous return policy buying a refurbished unit with just a 90 day return period vs. the one year manufacturer's warranty on new units offered in the USA.

Reactions: Gar
Agree Refurbished units do have these kind of issues, I always buy refurb products from the outlet which let me return it, thanks for the heads-up:)

Agree Refurbished units do have these kind of issues, I always buy refurb products from the outlet which let me return it, thanks for the heads-up:)

For the most part I have no problems with refurbished routers. The AC86 IMHO is a special case. In fact I used a refurb AC1900P which I purchased to fill in while I was going through multiple RMAs with ASUS when my original AC86 crapped out and then several of the refurbished AC86s they sent me in exchange were duds right out of the box.

Another problem that some unsatisfied purchasers of AC86s have complained about is their router crapped out shortly after its one year anniversary.

router crapped out shortly after its one year anniversary.

i got a steal on a ac3100 from a craiglist seller after light use (he went with some orbi mesh pucks) and notice these asus routers run crazy hot 80°c so i added a $5 usb fan to mine week one it's been working hard over a year now without issue. i suspect a lot of these asus that die in a year or two are simply overheating, and any cheap fan use will extend it's life by years. maybe asus are made to handle heat, but after running a linksys wrt1200ac for years at 60°c, i wasn't going to take any chances ;)