What's new

Asus ac-68u vpn iptv

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hypergg

New Around Here
I have a classic iptv provider in another country. I have a monthly subscription and they provided me with an iptv receiver that plugs into the router and also into the tv via hdmi.

I also have an Asus router AC68u over there that plugs into the local router. I have a second AC68u in the US connected via OpenVPN to the first one.

So far so good, but now I want to bring that TV receiver over here and make IPTV work across the VPN. Is that possible ?

Stock firmware says I need to use the WAN port to make this work - would it work through VPN ?

I'm confused about how many devices you have, where they are geographically and how they're connected together.

You say you have an IPTV receiver (#1) that plugs into "the router" (#2). You also have an AC68U "over there" (#3) that plugs into "the local router" (#4). Then there's a second AC68U in the US (#5).

What are "the router" and "the local router"? Are they the same device? If so, must the IPTV box be plugged directly into this device for it to work?

The router #2 is the local Telco router, Huawei. It's an ADSL router that simply provides Internet access to the house. Plugged into this ADSL router, I have an AC68U (#3) + the IPTV receiver (#1) provided by the Telco.

I have a second AC68U router (#4) in the US that connects via OpenVPN to the AC68U #3.

If I move the IPTV receiver #1 to sit behind the US AC68U router (#4), can the AC68U routers pass IPTV packets through the VPN link and thus make the IPTV receiver think he's in fact in my home country and display the TV channels ?

Right now the setup is like this:

Telco Huawei Router -> IPTV receiver -> TV

I want to get this working:

Telco Huawei Router -> AC68U < OpenVPN link > AC68U -> IPTV receiver -> Tv

It depends on whether the IPTV box needs to be plugged directly into the ISP router (perhaps for port forwarding reasons). I suspect not but this can be tested by plugging the IPTV box into the AC68U (#3).

If that works then it can probably be made to work over a VPN. You would probably need to install Merlin's firmware because of it's policy based VPN routing which I don't think stock firmware has.

ah ok, so the only thing that might stop this is if the telco's router does some port forwarding specifically on a dedicated stb lan port or something like that

ah ok, so the only thing that might stop this is if the telco's router does some port forwarding specifically on a dedicated stb lan port or something like that
That would be my concern. But like I said, that's easy enough to test by plugging the STB into the local AC68U.

That would be my concern. But like I said, that's easy enough to test by plugging the STB into the local AC68U.

If I do that, do I need any special config on the AC68u, like bridge mode or it will route multicast packets automagically ?

If I do that, do I need any special config on the AC68u, like bridge mode or it will route multicast packets automagically ?
That's the point of the test. If it needs the AC68U to be configured in some special way (like multicast routing) it's unlikely this is going to work over the VPN. It has to work with no changes to AC68U.

Without knowing exactly how your IPTV works it's impossible to predict its requirements. You say you have a "classic iptv provider" but I don't know what classic means.

It does require multicast routing and it does work with that option enabled in the IPTV tab.

But I thought multicast could be routed via TAP interface using OpenVPN, no ?

I'm sorry, there are too many unknowns for me to predict. You've only just mentioned multicast as being a requirement. You initially said the IPTV box was plugged into "...an ADSL router that simply provides Internet access...", nothing about multicast.

It does require multicast routing and it does work with that option enabled in the IPTV tab.
Are you sure multicast routing is required? Does the TV stop working if this option is disabled?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!