What's new

Asus AC-86U and printer capabilities

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JohnyLive88

New Around Here
I have the Asus RT-AC86U. We have a printer that is set for WiFi. It is not mine, so I cannot change the settings on the printer. The Asus router is in the 192.168.1 network on the WAN side. That is the network the printer is in. My Router is in the 192.168.2 network on the LAN side. is there a way to configure the router to sense the printer and print to it without changing the LAN side to the 192.168.1 network? I contacted tech support and the person who answered do not know. He just says check the FAQ.
The cable modem is in the 192.168.1 network, I was trying to avoid having the LAN side of the Asus router being in the same network[for security reasons] but if I knew it was possible to print to the printer that is in a different network, I would do my research and try to configure it to do that, but if I knew it was absolutely not possible, then I would know to not waste my time on it.

A router doesn't "sense" a printer. If you know the 192.168.1.x address of the printer then just manually setup the printer port on your PC with that IP address.

I mean "Sense the network. It would see the printer once it is configured[if it is possible to configure it] I know it is possible within the same network. First of all, the computers NIC is is in the same network that the LAN switchports on the router are in. It has to be. If I change the computers network address then the router will not work with it. I would have to change the LAN switchports on the router to that network. I am trying to maintain having a different network on the WAN side of the router as there is on the LAN side of the router, but still be able to print to the printer. Printer=192.168.1 network, LAN interfaces of the router=192.168.2 network. But I still want to print to the 192.168.1 network. I know I can print to the printer if the routers switchports are in the printers network. I want to connect to it without changing the LAN side network to the WAN side network.

But think of it this way. If my computer can connect to the Internet even though the internet and cable modem in is a different Network, then I should be able to connect to the printer even though the printer is in that network.

I'm not asking you to change the computer's network address. I was suggesting that you manually setup the printer on the PC and when you create the printer port you enter its IP address there.

Untitled.png

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!