What's new

Asus AC66R 5G Problem?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kmederos

Occasional Visitor
Hey guys! I just picked this guy up to replace a Cisco EA6500 that was just a piece of junk from the first day I got it and I'm enjoying the router except for one thing.

My 5G setup was either disconnecting or not connecting at all when set to 20/40/80 and the control channel set to Auto.

After some testing I realized that I did not get reliable performance or could not connect at all when the channel was set from 149-161. None of those channels seem to function properly. I'm in Idaho/USA and I'm wondering if maybe all my neighbors just have 5.8ghz phones or maybe Idaho is using the high channels for something else?

All the lower channels however function fine and it seems like they provide me enough range that I'm happy with it.

Here's the thing, why can't I use those channels? I have a few laptops with Wireless 5G cards and a phone and none of them could conenect, or if they did the throughput was ridiculously slow.

Will this affect my Wife's AC enabled laptop, being that I have to operate on the lower channels?

Thanks you guys! This site as always is amazing.

Hey guys! I just picked this guy up to replace a Cisco EA6500 that was just a piece of junk from the first day I got it and I'm enjoying the router except for one thing.

My 5G setup was either disconnecting or not connecting at all when set to 20/40/80 and the control channel set to Auto.

After some testing I realized that I did not get reliable performance or could not connect at all when the channel was set from 149-161. None of those channels seem to function properly. I'm in Idaho/USA and I'm wondering if maybe all my neighbors just have 5.8ghz phones or maybe Idaho is using the high channels for something else?

All the lower channels however function fine and it seems like they provide me enough range that I'm happy with it.

Here's the thing, why can't I use those channels? I have a few laptops with Wireless 5G cards and a phone and none of them could conenect, or if they did the throughput was ridiculously slow.

Will this affect my Wife's AC enabled laptop, being that I have to operate on the lower channels?

Thanks you guys! This site as always is amazing.

It's sounds like interference issue at 5.8 GHz. The only disadvantage of using 5.2 GHz channels is the regulated power output which limits the range of the router. Throughput at line of sight range shouldn't be affected by using lower channels if there are no interference involved.

It's sounds like interference issue at 5.8 GHz. The only disadvantage of using 5.2 GHz channels is the regulated power output which limits the range of the router. Throughput at line of sight range shouldn't be affected by using lower channels if there are no interference involved.

That's what I was thinking. Could it be a neighbor's phone system? I have another router here that broadcasts on those channels, but since it's the company provided Cisco VHO I can't actually connect to the 5G as it bounces me to the 2.4ghz. I'm thinking that's because of some 5.8ghz interference as well.

Wonder what's lighting up my house that bad that it's killing those higher channels?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!