What's new

Asus AC66U dropping wireless

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Slycer

Occasional Visitor
Hi, i tried to search the forums for my problem but can't quite find the right keywords. So I'm hoping that someone will recognize what the problem is with my setup because I'm out of ideas.

I have two Asus AC66U routers, one is downstairs connected to the modem acting as a wireless router, the other upstairs acting as a repeater. This setup has been working for almost a year now. About a week ago, suddenly without any changes by me, the network started giving me problems.

This is most obviously noticed on my main PC upstairs that's connected to the repeater. Basically, my network falls down every few minutes. When the network falls down I can from my main PC connected to the repeater ping the repeater but not my main router downstairs. I get a Request timed out. If I disable and then enable my wifi the network works again for a few minutes. Network can also get back up on it's own with enough time. All the while I'm not able to go on the internet on my PC, Windows in "Network connections" says I'm connected to the internet...

The odd this is that the network seems to only struggle from the repeater to the router. Because the (small) thing that I'm hosting via the router is still online while my upstairs PC can't connect to the internet. So for some reason the connection from the repeater to my router is fubar. Any ideas why? Thanks in advance and if anyone needs any additional info just ask! I don't really have the means to try a wired connection to my main router from the repeater.

Both routers run the last build by Merlin, Firmware:380.70.

Maybe bad WiFi connection due to changed channel if you use auto-channel or additional neighbour Wifi recent coming up or slightly changed position of router with too much interferences or just a fault in one device.

I do use autochannel. Do I need to change both channels (router and connected repeater) together? No new WIFIs, both router and repeater have not been moved.

EDIT And I really don't get it. Right now, the wireless doesn't work on my PC, can't open websites, cant ping my router.. But the Youtube video I'm watching keeps loading. How is this possible?!

Yes courious, maybe better to change to Johns fork firmware, known as stable and reliable.

Same thing happened on his latest build. Switched back to latest merlin because I don't like the password prompt on the old firmware used by john.

Hi, i tried to search the forums for my problem but can't quite find the right keywords. So I'm hoping that someone will recognize what the problem is with my setup because I'm out of ideas.

I have two Asus AC66U routers, one is downstairs connected to the modem acting as a wireless router, the other upstairs acting as a repeater. This setup has been working for almost a year now. About a week ago, suddenly without any changes by me, the network started giving me problems.

This is most obviously noticed on my main PC upstairs that's connected to the repeater. Basically, my network falls down every few minutes. When the network falls down I can from my main PC connected to the repeater ping the repeater but not my main router downstairs. I get a Request timed out. If I disable and then enable my wifi the network works again for a few minutes. Network can also get back up on it's own with enough time. All the while I'm not able to go on the internet on my PC, Windows in "Network connections" says I'm connected to the internet...

The odd this is that the network seems to only struggle from the repeater to the router. Because the (small) thing that I'm hosting via the router is still online while my upstairs PC can't connect to the internet. So for some reason the connection from the repeater to my router is fubar. Any ideas why? Thanks in advance and if anyone needs any additional info just ask! I don't really have the means to try a wired connection to my main router from the repeater.

After a year of working, assume hardware is failing and make some changes/swap equipment around to isolate the fault to a router, a power adapter, the PC adapter, or cabling... even disconnect other equipment you have not mentioned... one change at a time.

OE

Disable the 5ghz wireless and see if that solves the problem.