What's new

Asus AC68U power consumption

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

alain81

Occasional Visitor
Can someone check the power consumption of the Asus AC68U?
I'm sure that the power consumption is relative to what the router is doing (wi-fi on/off, serving files on the usb drives and powering them, services, ecc, ecc), but I would like to have a rough idea.

Thank you very much

I'm sure some of you have a "KILL-A-WATT" or similar power measurement device that can quickly see how much the AC68 consumes. :)

Thanks.

The AC68U power supply label will give a rough idea of how much power it would need. It will be less than the power supply is rated. The label should have the output voltage and current. Sorry I don't have Asus AC68U yet. I am planning to get one soon.

Not everyone can have all the toys all at once and be ready to answer you in one forum though! :)

I would guess it is between 10W on/idle to it's maximum of about 30W.

Input: 110 ~ 240Vac, 50 / 60Hz
Output: 19Vdc @ 1.75A Maximum, 33.25W

Thank you both for your replies, I appreciate the time you spent for me. :)

And I'm sorry if I gave you the impression of being impatient (well...to be totally fair probably I was :)).

Wow 30watts is quite a bit of juice...although I think that with my limited usage I will very seldom reach that (or for very short periods) since my usage is not that intensive.

10W idle is not that bad.

Naturally any actual measurement that anyone is willing to share is very much welcomed. :)

Thank you once again and have a great day.

Thank you both for your replies, I appreciate the time you spent for me. :)

And I'm sorry if I gave you the impression of being impatient (well...to be totally fair probably I was :)).

Wow 30watts is quite a bit of juice...although I think that with my limited usage I will very seldom reach that (or for very short periods) since my usage is not that intensive.

10W idle is not that bad.

Naturally any actual measurement that anyone is willing to share is very much welcomed. :)

Thank you once again and have a great day.

Are you powering it with a guinea pig and a wheel?
Lol

I'm happy to be of some entertaining value and make you laugh. :)

If someone is careful with consumptions it doesn't necessary mean that he's living in a cave or a farm. :p
30w could be considered a lot for a router when with that amount of power you could power an entire pc (and I'm not talking of a raspberry pi kind of pc, I'm taking of good performers like i5).
I understand that this is a flagship powerful router but I didn't know that routers would consume this much, that's it. I'm not criticizing ASUS, I just didn't know and therefore I have asked.
I'm sure other routers that have similar specs will consume just as much.

Last edited:
under load i have never seen my rt-ac66u pass 15 watts. usually sits around 10-12. i have a kill-a-watt meter i used to leave connected to it. it and my cable modem use about the same.

@Pierino: no problem, don't worry about it. ;)

@L&LD: thank you for the reference. :)

@connorm: Although I fear the Arm Cortex A9 800MHz of the AC68U will draw more power of the AC66U's Broadcom BCM4706 600Mhz that's promising. :) That's good! Thank you!

well if im correct originally the rt-ac66u's power consumtion was so much that it did not comply with fcc. i think the radios will actually use alot more power then the CPU. but i could be totaly wrong. while i would suspect the cpu to use slightly more power. i wouldnt expect the rt-68u to use very much more power at all. maybe 1-3 watts more.

but basically i bet both routers are using as much power as asus is aloud to use. or maybe not and maybe its just the power that the radios are aloud to actually output.

No, it wasn't the power consumption - it was the TX power output that Netgear is still suing Asus for.

The radio's should not take too much power vs. the processor - they are limited to a (very low) maximum. But, I don't know how much they need as 'input' to translate into the low (mW range) 'output'.

Hi,
Should get Wattage on input side at 120V AC, not on output side at 19V DC. Is the input current on the label? ~15W sounds right. This little wall wart has efficiency not even 80%
unless it has built-in PFC circuit.(doubtful)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!