What's new

Asus AC68U with 8TB hard drive?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jonathan Dixon

Occasional Visitor
I made the mistake of getting an 8TB Seagate to use as NAS with my AC68U router without checking size restrictions first.

I promptly discovered the max partition size is 4TB so I set up 2 4TB partitions instead of 1 8TB.

I copied all my data onto the two partitions, plugged it into the router and everything looked ok. I can mount both partitions ok but then as soon as I try and browse the whole router hangs.

Has anyone got anything like this working? Or can anyone offer advice?

Cheers

I made the mistake of getting an 8TB Seagate to use as NAS with my AC68U router without checking size restrictions first.

I promptly discovered the max partition size is 4TB so I set up 2 4TB partitions instead of 1 8TB.

I copied all my data onto the two partitions, plugged it into the router and everything looked ok. I can mount both partitions ok but then as soon as I try and browse the whole router hangs.

Has anyone got anything like this working? Or can anyone offer advice?

Cheers
Add a thumb drive with a swap partition or swap file. Likely your Samba is maxing out the router RAM while reading the drive. May also be better to format the drive with EXT3.

Hmm, interesting!
There's too much data already on to reformat, and I use it with windows too so EXT3 not really an option (that I know of). I'll give the swap a go though. I'm happy enough creating a swap usb, any tutorials on how to add it? Presumably there is more to it than plugging in and rebooting!

OK, I've created a swap usb and got it mounted using that tutorial. However, I tried to created a script so that it would automatically start after a reboot but I'm struggling...
I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to command line stuff. I managed to get into the router using Putty and created the file /jffs/scripts/post-mount (it didn't exist) using the command
touch /jffs/scripts/post-mount
I think I have to add in the line
swapon /dev/sda1
but I'm not sure how.
Any suggestions?

OK, I've created a swap usb and got it mounted using that tutorial. However, I tried to created a script so that it would automatically start after a reboot but I'm struggling...
I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to command line stuff. I managed to get into the router using Putty and created the file /jffs/scripts/post-mount (it didn't exist) using the command
touch /jffs/scripts/post-mount
I think I have to add in the line
swapon /dev/sda1
but I'm not sure how.
Any suggestions?

I suggest the difficulty you are having trying to use router storage is foreshadowing of things to come. If your data and its usage is important to you, you might want to consider more reliable storage.

OE

Haha, probably! Actually, I had a look at the files with the swap manually turned on and the router hung again so it didn't solve th issue anyway so I give up. I'll come up with something else.

Haha, probably! Actually, I had a look at the files with the swap manually turned on and the router hung again so it didn't solve th issue anyway so I give up. I'll come up with something else.

Just plugging it into a PC will make it more reliable. You'll 'feel' the difference.

OE