What's new

asus ac86u and plusnet hub or bt hub

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jonnyss

New Around Here
hi all hope you can give me any help or advise me in some way
my current set up is a virgin hub 3 in modem mode connected to an asus ac86u, now hopefully we will be moving soon, and unfortunately
virgin fibre is not in the area so will have to use a different isp, plusnet has reasonable deals but the plusnet router hasnt got a modem mote, and it looks like the other isp,s ive looked into dont have that feature either
my partner would rather go with bt as she wants tv with the internet.
i dont know how good the bt router/hub is, but i doubt its better than the asus ac86u
so my question would be that if i needed to use the asus router how would i go about connecting it as an ap and would i need to change any settings on the asus and if so which ones, i know how to put it in ap mode, but what else would i need to do, do the ethernet port on the asus work in ap mode?
another solution would be to get a separate modem of some sort but until were in the new house i wont know where the phone line comes into the house.
could it be as simple as turning the wifi off the bt item and using an ethernet from one router to the other ?
any help would be much appreciated

"could it be as simple as turning the wifi off the bt item and using an ethernet from one router to the other ?
"
yes. cable from Bt router lan port to Wan port of Asus. Creates double NAT, but usually not an issue.

The actual layout of the new place may have more of an impact in wireless coverage on whether you use the Asus devices as APs only or you just plug in as is.

thanks for the reply, will the double nat cause issues with upnp ? or gaming issues as we are still trying to get hold of a ps5 and while im not into internet gaming my partner or daughter many want to do so.
we only bought the ac86u to get over the terrible wifi coverage from the virgin hub 3 with constant dropouts, i maybe should have gone with a modem version but hey ho.
would it be worth it to change the ip address of the asus ?
and also if i have some appliances connected by ethernet to either router could this cause any problems for streaming from pc to ps5 or the surround sound system we have as at the moment i have more things to plug into ethernet so how will dhcp work when assigning ip addresses to connected devices? or does it not matter
i think my best bet is to get there and sort out any problems that may arise, instead of looking for solutions to a hypothetical problem that may not crop up
as im an electrician i could always get a an ethernet switch and put an ethernet socket in every room if wifi isnt great with the bt hub

i think my best bet is to get there and sort out any problems that may arise, instead of looking for solutions to a hypothetical problem that may not crop up
Definitely.

It's probably going to be a lot easier than you think. If you're only using the Asus to improve the WiFi then simply put the Asus into AP mode. That's it. All the Ethernet ports will still work.