What's new

Asus AC86u + Asus AX92u: best way?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rick Dekard71

New Around Here
Hello,

This is my first post here, I have been reading and enjoying this great forum, but now I am jumping to the arena.

I currently have an Asus Ac86u router. I am thinking of adding an AX92 to improve Wi-Fi coverage through AiMesh. My question is which router to leave as the main one and which one as node, since each method has its pros and cons:

1) AC86u as main and AX92u as node: I would take advantage of the most powerful AC86u processor. With ethe Ax92 as aimesh node, I assume its AX wifi would not work, since being a node, it would not be configurable

2) AX92u as principal and AC86u as node: it would have, in addition to the aimesh in the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz, a third wifi ax (without aimesh as the AC86 is not AX). Right?

Which path would you take? what about a 3rd option like adding a second AC86u and forget ax wifi?

Thanks!

AX92u is not good enough?

- how many of your mobile wireless devices need >150Mbps speeds and for what exactly?
- browsing experience 150Mbps and up is all the same, most websites won't send you data faster anyway
- PCs, NAS, Servers, etc. work best wired, no need to push everything through WiFi
- AC 2x2 clients are pretty common, can do about 400Mbps throughput already
- most current AX productd don't support all AX standards, think about draft-AX models
- WiFi 6E with 6GHz band support is already coming, no current AX router supports it
- what exactly benefits you expect from an AX router vs AC Wave 2 routers?

RT-AC86U is cheaper*, has excellent WiFi** and is Asuswrt-Merlin supported (chance to get extra features). Running 2 x identical hardware devices + 2 x identical software packages may produce better AiMesh*** results than mix and match strategy. Speed wise it covers current needs and is actually faster than some low-end AX products.

* - if you can live with the reboot bug it comes with, more info here:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ac86u-sometimes-powers-completely-off-during-reboot.48296/
** - for a home router; business class APs easily outperform it in throughput and number of connected clients
*** - currently in a bit AiMess state, but the development is in progress and it's getting better