What's new

Release Asus AC86U New Firmware - 3.0.0.4.386_40451-g30f1b6c

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

If I want to setup the router VPN server for remote access by Win10 and/or Android, which VPN server should I choose... PPTP, OpenVPN, or IPSec VPN?

OE
I have used OpenVPN successfully with Asus routers for some years. WIndows 10, Linux of various flavors, iOS and Android. Now, for iOS and Android use the OpenVPN client by Arne Schawbe. WIndows 10 use the OpenVPN Community client. Many of the Linux distros have OpenVPN baked in these days.

Went back to .384 (my lan devices were disappearing from the app on and off constantly and had a couple of drops even after factory reset. Will wait for next release on .386

From the web app or the Android app ? I am on the 384 and I couldn't find why the only one device that is not listed is my printer (static ip outside the dhcp range).

I just updated my 3x RT-AX92U to this version (I guess they must be pretty similar to the AC86U if the build ID is the same?) and I can't get the AIMesh nodes to talk to the router anymore. I've spent the last hour resetting nodes, resetting the router, adding over and over. It either gets to 50% then speed-counts to 100% and shows the failure dialog, or goes all the way to 100% slowly then shows the failure dialog. I'm looking at downgrading to the one I was using before (hopefully 3.0.0.4.384.9177 but I stupidly didn't write it down...) because I just need to get the family back online, unless anybody has a good idea of something else I can do?

(I've done the reset using the red button on the back, using the web interface, and by holding the WPS button during boot until the power button flashes. Each time, I go back in with a wired connection and put it in Node mode, then try to add again. None have helped.)

ETA: would it help if I posted this as a new thread? I know my devices aren't as popular as the AC86U so hopefully that's why I haven't seen any AX92U-specific discussion yet...

Last edited:
I did an over the top upgrade yesterday when this was released and had no issues at all. This morning did complete factory reset and installed again from factory point; Just to make sure any old .384 gremlins weren't lurking about. Been up about two hours no issues. I have no scripts installed, no mesh, etc. Just a few tweaks is all I do; Two SSID's, set channels manual, no aiProtect, and do have a guest network strictly for work laptop to keep it isolated.

I will say that I did see a new setting in the Guest Network settings when adding from new. There is some sort of aimesh setting there but I didn't mess around with it since I don't use that. Some of you having aimesh issues may want to look in there and see if everything is kosher. Just a thought.

I'll report back if I start noticing any issues, but overall it's smooth so far.

I've had .386 running for about 24 hrs now, 86U as an AiMesh node. No problems and seems to be stable w/connected clients. Can't comment on stability when 86U is the primary router.

Flashed this version on my AC86U yesterday. Mostly OK except for the Network Map not being stable. After a couple of hours I missed the features of Merlin so went back to 384.19.

When I clicked on the Check button this morning the new firmware was detected and an "update" button was available.

I did not yet update and now I have a new row with "Signature version". What's this ?

1603477537043.png

When I clicked on the Check button this morning the new firmware was detected and an "update" button was available.

I did not yet update and now I have a new row with "Signature version". What's this ?

View attachment 27102

The Trend Micro AiProtection Network Protection component maintains a local signature database. It auto updates and you can Check manually. I ignore it unless I'm bored.

OE

The Trend Micro AiProtection Network Protection component maintains a local signature database. It auto updates and you can Check manually. I ignore it unless I'm bored.

OE

Indeed, I activated Ai Protection today in the afternoon. Thanks for the clarification.

Don't know if I will do the update as I'm not in an AiMesh mode so I don't think the update is really interesting for me.

And by the looks of it, version 2.066 is what it says when first turned on. It definitely needs to be updated cause that’s old def file

Clicked several times the check button and now it's finally signature 2.200.

Isn't there an automatic update for Trend Micro ?

Clicked several times the check button and now it's finally signature 2.200.

Isn't there an automatic update for Trend Micro ?

Yes, once per night (if they haven`t changed it).

Thanks RMerlin. And sorry OzarkEdge, I just realized you had already answered but I was too quick and I missed your answer. Time to sleep ;-)

I'm watching my log first just curious to see it tries to auto-update again this time, so far no bites ...

Oct 23 03:42:38 WATCHDOG: [FAUPGRADE][auto_firmware_check: (6510)]no need to upgrade firmware

Otherwise I'll wait a week before jumping in.

So after 13 hours of uptime I've noticed a few oddities.
GUI normally shows 55%-56% in ram usage on every fw version I've used. This started that way and has been climbing all day. It's currently up to 62%. It's not crazy but is out of the norm.
A couple of clients have been in use and just lost connection out of the blue. Waiting a bit and they came back, however one needed a reboot to resolve.

Router logs show absolutely nothing other than the normal spam of the assoc messages so not a lot to glean from them.

I'll let it run awhile longer and if there are any more issues out of norm I'll roll it back to the Aug fw version.