What's new

Release Asus AC86U New Firmware - 3.0.0.4.386_40451-g30f1b6c

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

A couple of clients have been in use and just lost connection out of the blue. Waiting a bit and they came back, however one needed a reboot to resolve.

Wireless clients... what band? Are you using AiMesh?

OE

Wireless clients... what band? Are you using AiMesh?

OE
No mesh.
WiFi.
No idea what band they dropped from, they have access to both so whatever they were connected to at that time.
One SSID for 2.4 and 5 & one SSID for the guest 2.4 only. Clients that dropped were from main, not guest.

So after 13 hours of uptime I've noticed a few oddities. GUI normally shows 55%-56% in ram usage on every fw version I've used. This started that way and has been climbing all day. It's currently up to 62%. It's not crazy but is out of the norm.

I'm new around here and my single RT-AC86U is just running since one month but I can see that there is only 67MB free (445 MB used out of 512MB). Shoud I worry about that ?

I'm new around here and my single RT-AC86U is just running since one month but I can see that there is only 67MB free (445 MB used out of 512MB). Shoud I worry about that ?
To answer and then get back on the FW Update topic and issues; Generally No.
Type this into google and you'll get a long list of reading material from this site:
snbforums asus memory usage

So before I decided to roll back the FW today, I thought I'd play around with the aiProtect and turned it on. Not long afterwards, I noticed these log entries...spamming over and over again different mac addresses (removed here). This is a single router system, no mesh. Prior to turning the aiProtect on, the new firmware has been running about 24 hours with just the normal assoc/disassoc spamming messages.

Oct 24 06:54:30 kernel: removed mac not mesh client, can't update it's ip
Oct 24 06:54:32 kernel: removed mac not mesh client, can't update it's ip
Oct 24 06:55:12 kernel: removed mac not mesh client, can't update it's ip

So before I decided to roll back the FW today, I thought I'd play around with the aiProtect and turned it on. Not long afterwards, I noticed these log entries...spamming over and over again different mac addresses (removed here). This is a single router system, no mesh. Prior to turning the aiProtect on, the new firmware has been running about 24 hours with just the normal assoc/disassoc spamming messages.

I have similar with AC86U in RC2-6,7 Amesh 2.0 beta. Doesn't seem to affect things. I'd wait and see.

OE

I have similar with AC86U in RC2-6,7 Amesh 2.0 beta. Doesn't seem to affect things. I'd wait and see.

OE
With the client dropping issue and the crap in the log I went ahead and rolled back. Will wait for it to mature a bit and hopefully the damn thing doesn't auto update back to .386. I agree the crap in the log doesn't appear to affect anything, but it was really hammering the log so I went ahead and wiped it and restored to Aug fw.

No.

Went back to this version early this morning. Mid afternoon I added a RT-AC66U_b1 with 385_20633 firmware as a node. Moved the node to the far side of the living room and the Dish box and Roku connected to it. Was a bit concerned mixing an AiMesh 2.0 master with a 1.0 node but just finished two hours streaming on the Roku without any issues. No runs, drops or errors all day from the AC86U either.
Really looking for an official release for the AC68U or the AC66U_b1 as I have a system with two AC68U's to reconfigure next week and I need the node to have guest WIFI.

Went back to this version early this morning. Mid afternoon I added a RT-AC66U_b1 with 385_20633 firmware as a node. Moved the node to the far side of the living room and the Dish box and Roku connected to it. Was a bit concerned mixing an AiMesh 2.0 master with a 1.0 node but just finished two hours streaming on the Roku without any issues. No runs, drops or errors all day from the AC86U either.
Really looking for an official release for the AC68U or the AC66U_b1 as I have a system with two AC68U's to reconfigure next week and I need the node to have guest WIFI.
I got bored this afternoon and factory restored my Ac86u again and put this fw on again to give it another shot. Will see if my client drops were a fluke or if it starts up again.

I got bored this afternoon and factory restored my Ac86u again and put this fw on again to give it another shot. Will see if my client drops were a fluke or if it starts up again.
So it's been up after the reinstall for over 12 hours without issue other than those odd messages in the log (post #45)
After the reinstall I had aiProtect off and let it run for about five hours and the only log messages were the assoc/disassoc log spam. I turned on the aiProtect and let that run all night and this morning those "not a mesh client, can't update it's ip" messages were there again. Again, #1 I don't run a mesh system, and #2 why would that be tied to aiProtect anyway. The message seems to be new enough that it doesn't appear in any online searches for it. Regardless, as already stated it doesn't seem to be hurting anything, but I'd really like to know WTF it means. I don't normally use aiProtect so I wouldn't usually see it anyway, but this is something new with the .386 fw.

So it's been up after the reinstall for over 12 hours without issue other than those odd messages in the log (post #45)
After the reinstall I had aiProtect off and let it run for about five hours and the only log messages were the assoc/disassoc log spam. I turned on the aiProtect and let that run all night and this morning those "not a mesh client, can't update it's ip" messages were there again. Again, #1 I don't run a mesh system, and #2 why would that be tied to aiProtect anyway. The message seems to be new enough that it doesn't appear in any online searches for it. Regardless, as already stated it doesn't seem to be hurting anything, but I'd really like to know WTF it means. I don't normally use aiProtect so I wouldn't usually see it anyway, but this is something new with the .386 fw.
I see the same message and I am running a mesh network. Most of those messages refer to a MAC address of my Dish Hopper which has connected to the node. Otherwise, 25 hours uptime and still ticking.

I see the same message and I am running a mesh network. Most of those messages refer to a MAC address of my Dish Hopper which has connected to the node. Otherwise, 25 hours uptime and still ticking.
Yeah, one of mine is also a Dish Hopper, but there are many others too. I've gotten tired of playing with the settings and factory restored it again and back to my normal setup but on the .386 fw to see if it plays well with others. If not, back to August fw.

Yeah, one of mine is also a Dish Hopper, but there are many others too. I've gotten tired of playing with the settings and factory restored it again and back to my normal setup but on the .386 fw to see if it plays well with others. If not, back to August fw.
You may not be able to go back without standing on your head. I flashed 384-82072 over Merlin 384.19, did hard reset and when I was configuring the router it upgraded to 386-40451. May be best to not fuss and enjoy the new firmware.

You may not be able to go back without standing on your head. I flashed 384-82072 over Merlin 384.19, did hard reset and when I was configuring the router it upgraded to 386-40451. May be best to not fuss and enjoy the new firmware.
I've went back to the Aug fw yesterday when trouble shooting without issue. So if I need to go back again it will be no problem.

I have a RT86U as main router and a AC88U as a Ai Mesh Node.

I installed this firmware on my 86U last night and went to enable Ethernet Backhaul but it gave an error that the 88U was not compatible.

After checking on the Asus Download Center, the last firmware for the 88U was Version 3.0.0.4.385.20631 on Aug 14th

Is there any reason why the 88U will not get an upgrade to support this feature?
Is it just a matter of waiting until Asus release the firmware for the 88U?

thanks all.

I have a RT86U as main router and a AC88U as a Ai Mesh Node.

I installed this firmware on my 86U last night and went to enable Ethernet Backhaul but it gave an error that the 88U was not compatible.

After checking on the Asus Download Center, the last firmware for the 88U was Version 3.0.0.4.385.20631 on Aug 14th

Is there any reason why the 88U will not get an upgrade to support this feature?
Is it just a matter of waiting until Asus release the firmware for the 88U?

thanks all.
Just a matter of waiting. However, you may be able to hard reset the AC88U and set it up again with the AC86U. Do the setup over WIFI then move the AC88U to the Ethernet cable and power it up without making any changes to the configuration. It should auto connect over the cable. I am running a node on the 385. firmware over WIFI and it works quite well. Am hoping Asus releases the 386. firmware for the other supported routers over the next couple of days.

Just a matter of waiting. However, you may be able to hard reset the AC88U and set it up again with the AC86U. Do the setup over WIFI then move the AC88U to the Ethernet cable and power it up without making any changes to the configuration. It should auto connect over the cable. I am running a node on the 385. firmware over WIFI and it works quite well. Am hoping Asus releases the 386. firmware for the other supported routers over the next couple of days.

Thank you very much!

So I just noticed the gui glitch in the speedtest tap. This glitch was fixed in the RC7 beta. I'm 100% sure now this is the RC6 code which is fine by me as it was the most stable bulid I have used in the beta. My two ac86u routers are up for more than 3 days now with no wifi drops.
Roaming is fast and working well.
guest wifi is working in the main router and node.
Smart connect is on, Aiprotection enabled,traffic analyzer enabled and adaptive QoS is enabled.
Ipv6 working.
Open vpn server working.
I've got a usb stick on the node and I can set it up as a Samba only not UPnP.
The Gui is a bit slower than the RC7 beta and the device list is a bit hectic as well.

Hi there. I have HFC, so RT-AC86U as wireless router, then ethernet to a second RT-AC86U set as access point.
I see that, for the wireless router, Advanced/Wireless/Professional (bottom line) there is now no region setting.
Yet, for the access point, the region setting is there.
I don't understand why the router is missing the setting.

Also.....under WAN, there are some new fields, starting with 'Internet Detection'. Can anyone please help me with how this is used? I am on a PPPoE connection and the default Internet Detection is PPP Echo.

Any advice would be appreciated!