What's new

Asus AC86U speeds dropped considerably

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

xboxhaxorz

New Around Here
I have an Arris cable modem/ router combo that i have to use, so i connected my asus through it and its been fine for 3 yrs, i was getting full speeds

Recently it dropped from 60mb to around 8mb, i rebooted it, got the latest firmware and no change

I changed the channel for both 2 and 5ghz, changed the channel bandwidth and still same thing, when i connect to the Arris i get full speeds so its not my notebook that has the issue

I did a complete factory reset and i still have the same 8mb speeds, i tested with another pc over ethernet and same speeds, when that pc is connected to the Arris over wired i get full speeds

Any ideas?

Thanks

I have an Arris cable modem/ router combo that i have to use, so i connected my asus through it and its been fine for 3 yrs, i was getting full speeds

Recently it dropped from 60mb to around 8mb, i rebooted it, got the latest firmware and no change

I changed the channel for both 2 and 5ghz, changed the channel bandwidth and still same thing, when i connect to the Arris i get full speeds so its not my notebook that has the issue

I did a complete factory reset and i still have the same 8mb speeds, i tested with another pc over ethernet and same speeds, when that pc is connected to the Arris over wired i get full speeds

Any ideas?

Thanks

Couple thoughts...

Perhaps the AC86U WAN Ethernet has dropped to 10Mbps... the webUI should list the WAN port link rate, and check the cable/connectors for damage.

Also, know that the AC86U has a history of power regulation burn-out... weird things can happen before it fails.

OE

Couple thoughts...

Perhaps the AC86U WAN Ethernet has dropped to 10Mbps... the webUI should list the WAN port link rate, and check the cable/connectors for damage.

Also, know that the AC86U has a history of power regulation burn-out... weird things can happen before it fails.

OE
Its the same speeds over wifi and ethernet

How would i know if its the power regulation?

Its the same speeds over wifi and ethernet

A WAN link restricted to 10Mbps would affect all downstream clients.

How would i know if its the power regulation?

When it stops working, the LEDs do not work right and a power regulation chip on the PCB will appear burned out. There are discussions on this forum with pictures and more information.

OE

Ahhh yea that makes sense, got confused with LAN, but no that not the issue

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-12 12.42.39.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-12 12.42.39.png
    198.8 KB · Views: 28
Ahhh yea that makes sense, got confused with LAN, but no that not the issue

If your Arris gateway box has Gigabit LAN ports, your AC86U WAN port should report a 1Gbps link rate, not 100Mbps, yes? When testing with your laptop wired to the Arris LAN port, be sure to test using the same cable and Arris LAN port that the AC86U was connected to.

If the Arris box does not have Gigabit LAN ports... why not? 10/100Mbps Ethernet is ancient.

OE

If your Arris gateway box has Gigabit LAN ports, your AC86U WAN port should report a 1Gbps link rate, not 100Mbps, yes? When testing with your laptop wired to the Arris LAN port, be sure to test using the same cable and Arris LAN port that the AC86U was connected to.

If the Arris box does not have Gigabit LAN ports... why not? 10/100Mbps Ethernet is ancient.

OE
It was the ethernet cable, getting full speeds now

Also got gigabit wan now

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!