What's new

Asus AC86U vs AX68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I just had my Asus RT-AC86U fail a few months ago. I am currently still using my older RT-AC68U that I kept as a backup/spare (I haven't gotten around to looking for a proper replacement for my AC86U yet), but I have noticed that OpenVPN performance is really bad on the AC68U when I run it through the Router to connected devices such as a couple of media players I have in other rooms to stream through it (I use OpenVPN on the Router to unlock geo-restricted content).

Is there any kind of list of the OpenVPN performance on all the Asus Routers that support it?

Anyway, was just curious about the hardware failure thing. Mine was working fine for a couple of years, but then I woke up one morning 4 or so months ago and noticed the router has no power. I tried unplugging it and powering it back on, but nothing happened, so I assumed it had crapped out (wasn't sure if it was the Power supply or something in the router itself?). I was actually thinking of getting a brand new RT-AC86U, but if you're saying even the newer built ones are still prone to this hardware failure, what would be a good replacement that has similar OpenVPN performance?

Is it possible to get something similar feature and performance wise to the AC86U for a similar price, or do I have to look at more expensive models like the AX86U (this is out of my price range unfortunately) if I want similar performance/features?

If nothing similar feature wise, what would have similar OpenVPN performance on the lesser AX models? Should I just get another AC86U (I am happy to do so, but your comment about hardware failure threw me off getting another one).

The AC86U has hardware encryption... that is the performance boost for VPN. I'm not sure which newer routers have it... you'll have to dig. I'd consider the AX68U and AX86U or similar... compare specs, not model numbers. Maybe gamble on another AC86U like I did... but know that WiFi6 has been out, WiFi6e is coming out, and WiFi7 is on the distant horizon (and wicked fast, but maybe that will mean more issues, especially for compact mobile clients).

I had two 2018 China AC86Us die (half lit LAN4 LED)... a chip in the power/VR circuit burns out. Others suffer the 2.4 radio failing. I replaced mine at that time... one under warranty... with 2020 Vietnam builds. When one of those appeared to have a 2.4 radio issue, I set it aside for an AX86U... I wanted a solid network for holiday house guests. I will revisit my AC86U on the shelf with the next firmware release.

The AC86U was the first of HND build, whatever all that means... perhaps related to the WiFi chipset. So maybe it has growing pains that will be less likely with newer HND builds(?).

Also consider the AC/DC power adapter... they seem ok but can be the issue on rare occasions in general, not just for the AC86U, perhaps affected by poor power or just run at full load and failed. Inspect yours... maybe a cat chewed on the cord... I've seen that before but it stopped once they hit a 120 VAC. :)

OE

Last edited:
The AC86U has hardware encryption... that is the performance boost for VPN. I'm not sure which newer routers have it... you'll have to dig. I'd consider the AX68U and AX86U or similar... compare specs, not model numbers. Maybe gamble on another AC86U like I did... but know that WiFi6 has been out, WiFi6e is coming out, and WiFi7 is on the distant horizon (and wicked fast, but maybe that will mean more issues, especially for compact mobile clients).

I will have a look at those ones you mentioned. When you mention WiFi 6, 6E, and 7, are you just simply saying that I should be looking at newer tech, or are you saying that I shouldn't make that my main consideration?

I had two 2018 China AC86Us die (half lit LAN4 LED)... a chip in the power/VR circuit burns out. Others suffer the 2.4 radio failing. I replaced mine at that time... one under warranty... with 2020 Vietnam builds. When one of those appeared to have a 2.4 radio issue, I set it aside for an AX86U... I wanted a solid network for holiday house guests. I will revisit my AC86U on the shelf with the next firmware release.

You just reminded me, but yes, mine had the LAN4 LED lit when/after it failed. The power LED and all other LEDs were not lit except for the LAN4 LED that was still lit, so I am guessing it was a chip in the power/VR circuit that burned out in mine. I think I even had both 5G and 2.4G wireless turned off when it failed, so it definitely wasn't a wireless issue with mine How do I check the build date on mine? Is it written on the sticker or box?

The AC86U was the first of HND build, whatever all that means... perhaps related to the WiFi chipset. So maybe it has growing pains that will be less likely with newer HND builds(?).

Also consider the AC/DC power adapter... they seem ok but can be the issue on rare occasions in general, not just for the AC86U, perhaps affected by poor power or just run at full load and failed. Inspect yours... maybe a cat chewed on the cord... I've seen that before but it stopped once they hit a 120 VAC. :)

OE

What does HND mean? So you think that newer builds might have a more refined HND? The power supply and cord look fine on my AC86U. I don't think that was the issue. Any idea if I could try the AC68U power supply with the AC86U, or should I not user a power pack from a different router?

I will have a look at those ones you mentioned. When you mention WiFi 6, 6E, and 7, are you just simply saying that I should be looking at newer tech, or are you saying that I shouldn't make that my main consideration?

Just mentioned in passing... the state of tech can be a purchase consideration... depends on your situation. Buying another AC86U now would be sticking with WiFi5 and a first generation HND build.

You just reminded me, but yes, mine had the LAN4 LED lit when/after it failed. The power LED and all other LEDs were not lit except for the LAN4 LED that was still lit, so I am guessing it was a chip in the power/VR circuit that burned out in mine. I think I even had both 5G and 2.4G wireless turned off when it failed, so it definitely wasn't a wireless issue with mine How do I check the build date on mine? Is it written on the sticker or box?

The year and country use to be on the back label.

What does HND mean? So you think that newer builds might have a more refined HND? The power supply and cord look fine on my AC86U. I don't think that was the issue. Any idea if I could try the AC68U power supply with the AC86U, or should I not user a power pack from a different router?

I don't know... never looked into it (it's superseded by other purchase considerations, imo) and I've not seen it explained here. Google it!

OE

The link above is one response from RMerlin on what HND is (i.e. it is a newer router platform that consists of both hardware and SDKs that are newer than anything before the initial HND model, the RT-AC86U).

You just reminded me, but yes, mine had the LAN4 LED lit when/after it failed.

This is what burns inside, $1.50 chip:

The 'name' they come up with, may, be meaningless, but the tech below it isn't.

Marked improvement going to the original HND router vs. anything previously. Same with v2 and v3 HND platforms too (RT-AX88U, RT-AX86U).

Try to see the forest, rather than the trees.

The 'name' they come up with, may, be meaningless, but the tech below it isn't.

Marked improvement going to the original HND router vs. anything previously. Same with v2 and v3 HND platforms too (RT-AX88U, RT-AX86U).

Try to see the forest, rather than the trees.

I think we're just remarking on the term and its abbreviation... I was expecting something more tech-related, not just some organizational title. People around here have been calling it the 'HND platform'... that's a little misleading around tech talk... not worth mentioning, imo.

OE

This is how Broadcom is calling it actually - HND devices.

Understood. I didn't mean to assign it to anyone other than Broadcom. The point remains... it doesn't mean much if it just refers to one of their organizations. What next... the ASUS Router Division platform... the ARD platform is wicked fast! Pretty hollow claim.

OE

Still, that's missing the point.