What's new

Asus AC86U with Merlin: Help me Extend Range...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Looker

Occasional Visitor
I would like help increasing my network's range with a range extender/access point/etc.

I have an Asus RT-AC86U with Merlin. I want something nice, as well as relatively future-proof (future-resistant?). Ideally it has USB for future network storage and general flexibility.

I have a somewhat limited knowledge of networking and want simplicity.

My questions:

1) Are there any AX (Wireless 6) products that are recommended yet? Yes, I know my 86U is AC. But I may be upgrading later.

2) Is there an advantage with staying with Asus products for compatibility with the 86U?

So, any advice on what to get?

Thanks!

I would like help increasing my network's range with a range extender/access point/etc.

I have an Asus RT-AC86U with Merlin. I want something nice, as well as relatively future-proof (future-resistant?). Ideally it has USB for future network storage and general flexibility.

I have a somewhat limited knowledge of networking and want simplicity.

My questions:

1) Are there any AX (Wireless 6) products that are recommended yet? Yes, I know my 86U is AC. But I may be upgrading later.

2) Is there an advantage with staying with Asus products for compatibility with the 86U?

So, any advice on what to get?

Thanks!

I'd get another 86U for a 2x86U AiMesh. The pandemic has decreased supply and increased prices.

I'd wait for WiFi 6e.

I would not place too much importance on future-proofing... this tends to overpay for underdeveloped AIO routers. I suggest you would do better to favor the back of the network technology curve... less expensive, more stable, and more inline with your many network clients.

Know that router-based USB storage is not as functional as NAS. Also, expect USB 3.0 attachments to interfere with the router's 2.4 WLAN.

OE

Last edited:
How big is your home? What construction materials were used? What areas need the most/best coverage? Are you able to relocate the router to a position that would better serve those areas? A quick drawing of your layout would help with suggestions too. :)

What is needed most, more WiFi coverage, or high-speed network available storage? If the latter, then a NAS is recommended over any USB drive attached to a router or a (mesh) node.

The RT-AX58U may be a balanced match for your criteria, but note that new models are expected in the next few months that may prove superior to an RT-AC86U + an RT-AX58U (or a second RT-AC86U) AiMesh setup.

Will the AP node be wired or wireless? What are your ISP speeds currently and are you expecting to upgrade to 1Gbps up/down soon?

Thanks you two, you have given me much to think about. As this is not a pressing issue, I will take the advice you both give, continue learning, and wait for new models.

That was really helpful!

Thanks!