What's new

Asus AC87U Merlin Guest Network Functionality Completely Broken

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

snbnoob

New Around Here
My understanding of the guest Network functionality is that it provides a segregated wireless connection, from the main LAN cable connected network and primary wireless network.

However this functionality is completely broken.

In the settings I have Disabled "Access Intranet" however I can still access all my cabled LAN assets i.e. printer, NAS drive etc

Does anyone else experience the same thing? are there any work arounds?

Additionally the MAC filter is useless as its not linked to the SSID's, and you can not maintain two separate lists between the main 5GHz connection and the guest connection, as above Does anyone else experience the same thing? are there any work arounds?

The more I use this router the more I find it to be just another turd router (albeit a fancy cool looking one).

5ghz intranet access is broken in stock Asus, feel free to let them know (they've known a while and it's not been fixed as of yet)

2.4ghz should function as expected.

MAC filtering isn't really a security measure worth using, make a difficult to guess WPA2 passphrase and you'll be OK.

Thanks Jack

Is there any script workaround that you know of which I could use?

I tried loading the below script into nat-start but it didn't work

https://gist.githubusercontent.com/...00ac134bc380c9c63ee28bf/isolate_guest_wifi.sh

i'm a novice at this so any help would be much appreciated
Not that I've found. 87U uses a different chip for the 5GHz and it bypasses any kind of restrictions I tried. I settled for just 2.4ghz guests, i don't want them soaking my bandwidth anyway! (i have QoS enabled but that's for my family's benefit!)