What's new

ASUS AC88U and Technicolor 7200 :(

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MrGundam

Occasional Visitor
Hello everyone,

Firstly I would like to apologise for my lack of expertise in networking, I consider myself tech savvy but really have not delved much into networking and so a lot of this is new to me. I am keen to learn however.

Networking Experience:
  • Assigning static IP's to devices
  • Run a home micro server for media, shared resources etc
  • Setup dyndns account for easy access from outside home
  • Confident with port forwarding

I currently live and work in Bangkok Thailand. The internet speed is not too bad on my DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem 15M connection, however the ISP (True) modem / router is appalling. A Technicolor (Thomson) 7200.

I recently treated myself due to poor wifi and gaming lag issues in my home to an Asus AC88U and am excited by the range of features it brings (time machine backup, printing, QOS, wifi AC etc).

Unfortunately I am having issues partly understanding the networking theory / best route to take in my setup and partly with the poor ISP cable modem / router. This coupled with the language barrier here in Thailand meaning ISP tech support is almost a dead end.

Essentially I am 90% sure I am going to run into double NAT issues (please correct me on anything I have understood wrongly) as my ISP modem / router is acting as a DHCP and also my new Asus, both handling IP addresses. My Asus modem is complaining about the WAN IP not being an external IP address as it is simply being given a local IP by the ISP modem / router.

The ISP Technicolor 7200 modem / router does not appear to have a Bridge mode, and with the ISP custom firmware the few guides I have found online for changing MIB etc to enable the option simply doesn't work.

I have found a DMZ setting, and tried adding the local IP address of the Asus router, but I did not notice anything different? How would I know is this worked?

I am at a bit of a loss as to what to do / try next. Ideally I would like to take as much management as possible away from the Technicolor and hand it to the ASUS, but am starting to think this is wishful thinking. I guess my next step would be to look into port forwarding WAN connections from my ISP modem / router to my new ASUS router and then onto the home server. No idea if this would work?

What I want from my network setup:
  1. RDP access from outside the home
  2. Access to my home server outside the home for Blue Iris security camera software
  3. Minimise any lag / latency issues for PC gaming via wifi
Sorry for the long post but I always think its best to give as much info as possible. Any advice, corrections or links to resources etc would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Last edited:
Have you tried contacting True Online to bridge your modem? I once used True Docsis. I got Cisco EPC3925(not sure) which I could simply set it to run as bridge mode(the modem wasn't stable or my router was not good as I didn't get stable enough connection 2years ago). However, I found some information when I skimmed through google search on your modem and found this link(https://www.upc.ch/dam/www-upc-cablecom-ch/Support/manuals/generic/int/tc7200.u_user_manual_eng_v17.pdf);I think CM mode or cable modem mode is what you are looking for, if that mode exists in ISP's custom firmware. If you can't find a way to bridge your modem as well as True Online, you should contact them for another cable modem capable of running in bridge mode.

In addition, make sure True Online gives you dynamic public IP as many ISPs in Thailand won't give it to you until you ask them. In Network Map tab, if you login to your router, you can see you WAN IP. If it starts with 192.xxx then your modem isn't running in bridge mode. If it starts with something else, but it is not the same IP as you find when you search in google "what is my IP", then you have to ask for public IP from your ISP.

Btw, if Sinet offers internet around where you live and True Online is not that stable, I recommend you to move to Sinet as it uses real fiber optic cable(need to ask for package that offer public IP/port forwarding). True Online uses the word "fiber" in some advertisement, which does not mean "fiber optic to home".

Have you tried contacting True Online to bridge your modem? I once used True Docsis. I got Cisco EPC3925(not sure) which I could simply set it to run as bridge mode(the modem wasn't stable or my router was not good as I didn't get stable enough connection 2years ago). However, I found some information when I skimmed through google search on your modem and found this link(https://www.upc.ch/dam/www-upc-cablecom-ch/Support/manuals/generic/int/tc7200.u_user_manual_eng_v17.pdf);I think CM mode or cable modem mode is what you are looking for, if that mode exists in ISP's custom firmware. If you can't find a way to bridge your modem as well as True Online, you should contact them for another cable modem capable of running in bridge mode.

In addition, make sure True Online gives you dynamic public IP as many ISPs in Thailand won't give it to you until you ask them. In Network Map tab, if you login to your router, you can see you WAN IP. If it starts with 192.xxx then your modem isn't running in bridge mode. If it starts with something else, but it is not the same IP as you find when you search in google "what is my IP", then you have to ask for public IP from your ISP.

Btw, if Sinet offers internet around where you live and True Online is not that stable, I recommend you to move to Sinet as it uses real fiber optic cable(need to ask for package that offer public IP/port forwarding). True Online uses the word "fiber" in some advertisement, which does not mean "fiber optic to home".

Hi Wutikorn, thank you for the detailed response. Unfortunately the Custom software on my Tecnicolor does not have the CM mode option available.

I have however contacted True Online to try and see if I can have the Tecnicolor swapped for a Cisco EPC3925. They are sending some technicians out tomorrow so hopefully when I explain I need bridge mode due to double NAT, and the fact the Tecnicolor is appalling (dropped wifi, rebouts etc) they will swap it. Fingers crossed.

I have however contacted True Online to try and see if I can have the Tecnicolor swapped for a Cisco EPC3925. They are sending some technicians out tomorrow so hopefully when I explain I need bridge mode due to double NAT, and the fact the Tecnicolor is appalling (dropped wifi, rebouts etc) they will swap it. Fingers crossed.
I do not recommend you getting Cisco EPC3925 though; that is because I didn't have good experience with it(have to reboot it quite often, even in bridge mode, about 2 times a week). You could search about Cisco EPC3925 problems, and see which model, that your ISP offers, others recommend. I heard Motorola and Thomson make better Docsis modems. So if you can, try to get those brand and make sure the new one is still Docsis 3.0.

I do not recommend you getting Cisco EPC3925 though; that is because I didn't have good experience with it(have to reboot it quite often, even in bridge mode, about 2 times a week). You could search about Cisco EPC3925 problems, and see which model, that your ISP offers, others recommend. I heard Motorola and Thomson make better Docsis modems. So if you can, try to get those brand and make sure the new one is still Docsis 3.0.

Is DOCSIS 3.0 needed for 15mb connection? My router is DOCSIS 3.0 because I was originally on 50mb connection but I found that was only in Thailand so a bit of a waste of money.

The Tecnicolor 7200 is a bad router and I think worse than the Cisco EPC3925, so I might not have much of a choice. I will see if they can swap for a better one. Would DOCSIS 2.0 be an issue?

Is DOCSIS 3.0 needed for 15mb connection? My router is DOCSIS 3.0 because I was originally on 50mb connection but I found that was only in Thailand so a bit of a waste of money.

The Tecnicolor 7200 is a bad router and I think worse than the Cisco EPC3925, so I might not have much of a choice. I will see if they can swap for a better one. Would DOCSIS 2.0 be an issue?
I don't think it is needed, but if I remember correctly, True technician said that Docsis 3.0 is better in area where many people use the network as there are more channels for you to use, in case one is crowded. But I think you can just try Docsis 2.0, and if there is a problem, then ask for DOCSIS 3.0 modem replacement

Do you know what specific router / modem I should aim to get from True? I have no idea of their range and which I should hope to get?

Do you know what specific router / modem I should aim to get from True? I have no idea of their range and which I should hope to get?
No, I don't know specific models. However, if they bring you a new router, you can ask technician what modem is best for bridge mode. If the modem you get is bad, you now know what model you need to ask for the next time. But there are people who say Cisco EPC3925 or EPC3825 are good as well(maybe, it was my router, Buffalo WZR-HP-AG300H, that was not good at the time), so try it first if they give you that.

Add: For Asus Router, I personally like AsusWRT-Merlin firmware, which has proven to be very stable. RMerlin's firmware is basically an improved version of Asus firmware(bug fixes, similar interface, fast security patch, faster minor software updates such as OpenVPN). You can always switch back to stock Asus firmware through WebGUI.

Here is the link to his website: https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/features

If you want a rock solid firmware, and you don't care much about security patches, go for 380.62_1.

There are many forums about considering AsusWRT-Merlin firmware in SNB forums as well, if you want to search for.

Remember that you are at your own risk to try third party firmware.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your help. True came and swapped the Technicolor 7200 for a Cisco EPC3928 which has a bridge mode and is now letting my AC88U have the external WAN IP address :)

I also installed the Merlin firmware and love how it is basically the same as the standard ASUS setup. I will be playing with Selective routing and the VPN soon to try and get some UK tv (iplayer) working on my TV.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!