What's new

Asus AC88U IPTV

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MrGundam

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys,

I am new to IPTV and a little unsure exactly how it works and why I would want to set it up on my router rather than client. I live in Thailand so this could be a great way for me to get some English language channels, so wanted to find out more.

So from what I can tell IPTV allows you to watch TV channels over the internet, both paid and free. It can also allow a form of on demand viewing?

I own a Samsung Smart TV which has an Ethernet socket. Why would I want to add IPTV details to the router and not the HDTV? What is the benefit? Why is VLAN needed?

Secondly there seems to be a lot of IPTV services out there, can anyone recommend one?

I am assuming that services such as BBC iPlayer do not work in this way and a VPN to the UK would be needed for that?

Thanks

Hi guys,

I am new to IPTV and a little unsure exactly how it works and why I would want to set it up on my router rather than client. I live in Thailand so this could be a great way for me to get some English language channels, so wanted to find out more.

So from what I can tell IPTV allows you to watch TV channels over the internet, both paid and free. It can also allow a form of on demand viewing?

I own a Samsung Smart TV which has an Ethernet socket. Why would I want to add IPTV details to the router and not the HDTV? What is the benefit? Why is VLAN needed?

Secondly there seems to be a lot of IPTV services out there, can anyone recommend one?

I am assuming that services such as BBC iPlayer do not work in this way and a VPN to the UK would be needed for that?

Thanks
IPTV works only with a router. The companies that supply it are sending the signal via fiber lines and they use a specific port for sending tv via their router and another port for the internet. HDTV has nothing to do with IPTV. All HDTV stands for is High Definition Television.
If you go to IPTV on the router and set it up in manual mode you can see the different ports from LAN ports and internet.
This is how they do it and you can't change it, you have to live with their VLAN etc. I personally like Cable better.
Basically they run multiple signals through the fiber and they need to split the signal.
So if you used an IPTV service you would need to find out on what port they provide the IPTV and then bypass their router and then feed the IPTV and internet via your router. I also think that you can get IPTV via internet direct but once again they would provide you with the details in order to connect to their service.
There are no real benefits for any TV service because they blast you with commercials ~:(
You are better off with Netflix and a VPN service that unblocks Netflix geometric zones and then you can enjoy movies and tv series from anywhere in the world.
Read the post in VPN section that I replied.
Check out these articles on VPN services. I would suggest you try netflix and different VPN services
these services are free of charge for 30 days so see what works best for you.

http://best10vpn.com/which-vpns-work-with-netflix-mid-2016-update/
http://best10vpn.com/top-5-vpns/

Hi guys,

There's a lot of services that go over the top (OTT) - and one may not need any kind of VPN to use them - I use a service out of Hong Kong to get services for international real-time TV. As part of the package, I get Japan, China, Korea, and a mix of English services (BBC, SkyTV, CNN International, etc..) - it's an android package that runs on a little Android TV box... costs me about $30USD/month

Do some google work, and you'll find them..

This is interesting stuff, thank you all for helping me understand. Given the time difference in Thailand and the UK I rarely watch live TV apart from special PPV events.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but from what I understand:

- This router feature is only used by your ISP when providing IPTV?
- As I am on a cable connection (only for Broadband not TV package) I could not use this as it relies on fibre optic connections?
- It is essentially a reserved bandwidth of your connection that the ISP usually expects their provided modem / router to handle the splitting of the signal / stream.
- You would then usually plug a IPTV set top box (usually ISP provided) into the LAN Ethernet port assigned as the VLAN.

If the above is correct will I ever be able to meet the following needs with IPTV?

- Provide access to IPTV for my Samsung Smart TV and use the inbuilt TV Guide, remote etc (i.e no set top box) almost like 'normal' / satellite TV.
- Use an IPTV package other than that of my ISP? (possibly where I can watch UFC live pay per view events, UK BBC iplayer catch up, Big boxing live pay per view events, news etc)

I think I understand the concept of IPTV but what I find confusing is:

- The best providers of IPTV packages and prices
- If 3rd party, non ISP IPTV packages are available how do they separate the VLAN signal for most people who do not have this advanced feature in a router?
- Accessibility of pay per view events (UFC, Boxing) and its legality
- The bandwidth requirements
- The resolution / bitrate of the signal compared to 'normal' TV.
- Lag / stutter issues given my location in Thailand
- Any overlap of IPTV and Video on Demand services (like last 7 days of UK tv etc)
- The requirement of set top box's (essential or able to avoid?)

Thanks for any help people can fire my way :)

This is interesting stuff, thank you all for helping me understand. Given the time difference in Thailand and the UK I rarely watch live TV apart from special PPV events.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but from what I understand:

- This router feature is only used by your ISP when providing IPTV?
- As I am on a cable connection (only for Broadband not TV package) I could not use this as it relies on fibre optic connections?
- It is essentially a reserved bandwidth of your connection that the ISP usually expects their provided modem / router to handle the splitting of the signal / stream.
- You would then usually plug a IPTV set top box (usually ISP provided) into the LAN Ethernet port assigned as the VLAN.

If the above is correct will I ever be able to meet the following needs with IPTV?

- Provide access to IPTV for my Samsung Smart TV and use the inbuilt TV Guide, remote etc (i.e no set top box) almost like 'normal' / satellite TV.
- Use an IPTV package other than that of my ISP? (possibly where I can watch UFC live pay per view events, UK BBC iplayer catch up, Big boxing live pay per view events, news etc)

I think I understand the concept of IPTV but what I find confusing is:

- The best providers of IPTV packages and prices
- If 3rd party, non ISP IPTV packages are available how do they separate the VLAN signal for most people who do not have this advanced feature in a router?
- Accessibility of pay per view events (UFC, Boxing) and its legality
- The bandwidth requirements
- The resolution / bitrate of the signal compared to 'normal' TV.
- Lag / stutter issues given my location in Thailand
- Any overlap of IPTV and Video on Demand services (like last 7 days of UK tv etc)
- The requirement of set top box's (essential or able to avoid?)

Thanks for any help people can fire my way :)
All IPTV means is that a company can service you Television over the internet.
Companies that work with phones will offer fiber IPTV with their router box configured to give you internet and TV via VLAN ports and you can bypass their router and use your router to feed your TV with their service by spiting the signal on an asus router via VLAN. It is the same service you would be getting from Cable or from Satellite they are just giving it to you in a different way which is via internet. It is a better way for phone companies to deliver IPTV over satellite because of the issues that satellite dishes have with bad weather and many other glitches.
This is one way IPTV can be delivered. There are other IPTV services such as https://iptvstalker.com/ which is probably what you would be looking for.
They started out with Kodi and now offer it via pay service. It can used with Kodi boxes or any computer running kodi and they provide you with a url which you enter in the program and you get thousands of channels in 720p HD or SD. Its really cool because you get to see channels from all over the world and their time zones. The final way for IPTV is again with Kodi and urls that are pirated and links are put up on specific sites that you can view from kodi.
They usually suck because they never work.
If you have a smart TV that uses android operating system you can enjoy all these features.
Otherwise you can use a computer like a NUC from intel and run kodi on there or install IPTV stalker and enjoy TV.
weather you get IPTV from a phone company usually best service or IPTV stalker which has been around for about a year now and it seems to be a very good alternative to watching TV or pirated these are all IPTV based services.
if you need to know more about IPTV
there is this clown called soloman on youtube that you can learn a lot from him.
here is his link. watch some of his videos and he can help you get up and running and enjoying TV.
I strongly suggest IPTV stalker for your needs. Its probably right up your alley :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuSdObYHdjize3ziP951org
good luck.

things I forgot to say :p
You also use andoird firesticks or kodi boxes that come from china like MX3 but they suck because you cannot upgrade their firmware and then you cannot update to newer kodi versions. I don't think IPTV stalker needs to work via kodi, they give you programs for different systems that will run their service.
Check IPTV stalkers site and see what they support. I am sure they support Samsung OS.
the best value for your buck is with these guys :)
https://iptvstalker.com/
enjoy!!

After 8 hours of researching, installing kodi on my PC, add ons, more research... you summed it all up in 2 posts lol

I managed to add some addons to Kodi but apart from Exodus most seem to suck and offer no real user friendly interface. The kodi interface itself looks good and I used to use XBMC in the old days of hacked xbox's, but the addons feel like the name...added on. The streams seem to only sometimes work and I couldn't really get a usable EPG to work.

At this point I started reading about MAG box's, but still a bit unsure what they are running as the OS. Surely it will not be as good as the long developed Kodi?

Also many ebay sellers seem to sell the MAG box's with subscriptions. Who is this subscription paid to? Is it reliable? Do they get a usable EPG and VOD? If yes to this, why isnt this easily accessible on Kodi?

Thank you for the link on IPTV Stalker, I was scratching my head on this one as I kept reading about it for Kodi but it seems no longer available (which I am surprised about given the amount of pirated streams etc it does have). Is IPTV the premium SVOD service out there?

On a side note, how is IPTV Stalker etc offering these channels so cheap? Is it legal? Do they have deals with the network providers? Likely to go bust / shutdown?

I am willing to pay for decent service, especially if you get a usable catchup style VOD EPG for UK TV.

Thanks for your help, I will keep researching :)

After 8 hours of researching, installing kodi on my PC, add ons, more research... you summed it all up in 2 posts lol

I managed to add some addons to Kodi but apart from Exodus most seem to suck and offer no real user friendly interface. The kodi interface itself looks good and I used to use XBMC in the old days of hacked xbox's, but the addons feel like the name...added on. The streams seem to only sometimes work and I couldn't really get a usable EPG to work.

At this point I started reading about MAG box's, but still a bit unsure what they are running as the OS. Surely it will not be as good as the long developed Kodi?

Also many ebay sellers seem to sell the MAG box's with subscriptions. Who is this subscription paid to? Is it reliable? Do they get a usable EPG and VOD? If yes to this, why isnt this easily accessible on Kodi?

Thank you for the link on IPTV Stalker, I was scratching my head on this one as I kept reading about it for Kodi but it seems no longer available (which I am surprised about given the amount of pirated streams etc it does have). Is IPTV the premium SVOD service out there?

On a side note, how is IPTV Stalker etc offering these channels so cheap? Is it legal? Do they have deals with the network providers? Likely to go bust / shutdown?

I am willing to pay for decent service, especially if you get a usable catchup style VOD EPG for UK TV.

IPTV stalker has been around for a couple of years. They made it a pay service last year and they are continuing their service. I think its in the Gery zone and the Stations have no control or it could be that they are paying to the companies and offering this service.
Check it out as its the only IPTV that I know of that works.
Good luck with it and if you find out anything interesting let us know :)

I forgot about those TV kodi boxes. they are all from China and they all suck in one way or another.
I think if anyone wants to really enjoy kodi get a mini PC and install Kodi on there along with all the features windows 10 offers there is no match to those TV sticks or Android box's. Unless your TV has an android OS then you can install Kodi and have great features.
I had a couple of those Chinese boxes and they are crap. one of them died on me when I tried to upgrade the firmware because it was full of problems and the mx3 was ok but its audio synch was off and I would always have to manual fix each time I would use it.
So be careful when you buy those boxes from eBay, in the end you will spend so much money that you would have said I should have bought a MINI PC instead
you can get some for a couple of hundred USD
ASUS, Intel, ACER they all make them.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!