What's new

ASUS aiMesh dropping WiFi Calling during switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

You're the one to ask... are there other non-Apple consumer grade routers that do support roaming assistance standards 802.11k,v or r? If not and if Apple is out of the router business(?), then this would leave iPhones out of standards-based roaming assistance.
Why did you replace the Extremes?

We track 11kvr and other roaming assistance and many other attributes in the Wi-Fi System and AP Finders. kv support is most common in Wi-Fi/Mesh systems and enterprise-grade APs. Support in lower end APs is not so much.

We track 11kvr and other roaming assistance and many other attributes in the Wi-Fi System and AP Finders. kv support is most common in Wi-Fi/Mesh systems and enterprise-grade APs. Support in lower end APs is not so much.

Thanks.

I'll leave your question for the OP.

OE

You're the one to ask... are there other non-Apple consumer grade routers that do support roaming assistance standards 802.11k,v or r? If not and if Apple is out of the router business(?), then this would leave iPhones out of standards-based roaming assistance.

Airports are one of the more vendor agnostic players out there in consumer space - they generally work with everything. They do a lot of things that other vendors don't do - one good case is how they handle guest networking - they do it as a VLAN, so it works to extend the guest network, and it also works well with managed switches - no other vendor does this.

Only item I've found with them is the FCC power level on 5GHz, and that's fair...

I lost quite a few hours on this exact same ios wifi calling issue after I enabled Aimesh, but finally got it working and it’s now roaming flawlessly between my three nodes.

This post by Richard on getting wifi calling working on google's mesh is what worked for me on aimesh: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/googlewifi/3SmTK0Vk1P4/YTJLGg5TCAAJ

Note that I set static IP both on the iphone and on the router to avoid DHCP delays when roaming (I saw something in logs, but this may not be needed).

In hope of saving others some pain, here’s my setup and other settings I tweaked to get wifi calling working on aimesh:
--Aimesh with AC5300 base with 2 AC68U nodes (1 node ethernet backbone to base, 2nd is wireless)
--2 SSIDS, for 2.4ghz and 5ghz, with my iphone on 5ghz (2.4ghz is noisy where I live)
--Smartconnect: off
--Roaming assistant: on, -65 dBm
--Airtime Fairness: off
--Universal Beamforming: off
--Port 500 & 4500 UDP forwarded to same ports on my now-static iPhone IP

I lost quite a few hours on this exact same ios wifi calling issue after I enabled Aimesh, but finally got it working and it’s now roaming flawlessly between my three nodes.

This post by Richard on getting wifi calling working on google's mesh is what worked for me on aimesh: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/googlewifi/3SmTK0Vk1P4/YTJLGg5TCAAJ

Note that I set static IP both on the iphone and on the router to avoid DHCP delays when roaming (I saw something in logs, but this may not be needed).

In hope of saving others some pain, here’s my setup and other settings I tweaked to get wifi calling working on aimesh:
--Aimesh with AC5300 base with 2 AC68U nodes (1 node ethernet backbone to base, 2nd is wireless)
--2 SSIDS, for 2.4ghz and 5ghz, with my iphone on 5ghz (2.4ghz is noisy where I live)
--Smartconnect: off
--Roaming assistant: on, -65 dBm
--Airtime Fairness: off
--Universal Beamforming: off
--Port 500 & 4500 UDP forwarded to same ports on my now-static iPhone IP

Would you be kind enough to send me snapshots of your port forwarding settings for 500 and 4500. Port forwarding is always a challenge for me. Thanks in advance.

Would you be kind enough to send me snapshots of your port forwarding settings for 500 and 4500. Port forwarding is always a challenge for me. Thanks in advance.

Here you go, good luck!
https://imgur.com/a/LsWLa
LsWLa

Also, I forgot to mention I did previously reset my network settings on my iphone as per OzarksEdge post above - if above config still not working that would be the final step to try. I noticed my iphone wifi calling was improved after resetting my network settings, but it didn't work fully nor last more than a few hours until I did the above static IP and port forwarding changes.

Thanks for working on this. I've complained to the ASUS support people about this issue and after several back and forths they are still working on it.

Here's something else that worked for me: In the LAN settings, I disabled "auto" NAT acceleration so that the router is forced to use the CPU for NAT acceleration rather than hardware. Apparently enabling any kind of port forwarding has the same effect of forcing NAT acceleration to the CPU.

This has improved ATT WIFI Calling greatly here and it may give a clue as to what the real problem: the WIFI Calling IPSEC packets may not be transiting the router correctly with hardware NAT acceleration enabled.

I'm using 2 AC1900p and 1 AC68U with latest firmware, and Airtime Fairness is off.

-- R Carlson MD

I wonder if Android Google Fi WiFi Calling is not experiencing this issue because it runs over its VPN...

OE

I wonder if Android Google Fi WiFi Calling is not experiencing this issue because it runs over its VPN...

OE

Here's the latest update from ASUS:

Re:Re: Re: WiFi calling do not work;ASUS Service No=N1803132303

servicecenter_am@asus.com
6:15 AM (9 hours ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

(*Please do not change the subject line when you reply to this email)

Hello ROBERT CARLSON M.D.

Thank you for your response to ASUS product support, my name is John S.

I appreciate your patience and for giving us time to come up with a resolution for your case. After collaborating with our support staff, we have verified that the next firmware update that we will release will fix this issue.

Do let us know if further assistance is needed. Thank you for choosing ASUS. Your case number is:N1803132303.

Regards,
John S
ASUS Product Support

Here's the latest update from ASUS:

I ended up having to revisit this issue as my wifi calling stopped working again after a week or so. I tried updating to the firmware release that just came out, but it seems that doesn't yet fix this issue as ASUS' support email to Robert indicated. Have others seen this working now with the new firmware?
Fortunately, after a bunch of troubleshooting and resets, I followed your suggestion above to just disable auto NAT acceleration and BOOM - fixed! My wifi calling turned on instantly after I applied the setting. Not sure why I didn't start there... Now I'm roaming between all my nodes with wifi calling. Also, it didn't seem to have any negative impact on my network speeds when I disabled NAT acceleration based on some basic testing I did. Thanks Robert and hopefully I'm not back here again in another week...

I switched DD-WRT and I have hardware version A6.
I no longer have problems on 2.4ghz or 5ghz.
Use the trx files not the bin extensions.
If you use .bin you may not be able to go back to Merlin or ASUS stock firmware.
I had another AC88U and I used the .bin I was not able to get back.
asus_rt-ac88u-firmware 36527.trx

I ended up having to revisit this issue as my wifi calling stopped working again after a week or so. I tried updating to the firmware release that just came out, but it seems that doesn't yet fix this issue as ASUS' support email to Robert indicated. Have others seen this working now with the new firmware?
Fortunately, after a bunch of troubleshooting and resets, I followed your suggestion above to just disable auto NAT acceleration and BOOM - fixed! My wifi calling turned on instantly after I applied the setting. Not sure why I didn't start there... Now I'm roaming between all my nodes with wifi calling. Also, it didn't seem to have any negative impact on my network speeds when I disabled NAT acceleration based on some basic testing I did. Thanks Robert and hopefully I'm not back here again in another week...

I'm have 3 RT-AC68U on AiMesh all on the latest firmware 3.0.0.4.384_45149 . Unfortunately even after disabling NAT Acceleration, my VoIP call keeps dropping when I roam. Does anyone have the same issue?

I replaced them because Apple has decided to stop making routers and I assumed since Apple hasn't updated their routers recently that the latest and greatest had solved all the world's problems. I guess not... Apple "just worked". Asus is a nightmare. Although I do like the additional security and ability to see who's on my network and what is going on.

Well, I ended up going back to the Extremes but plugged into my Asus routers... so basically using them as expensive ethernet switches. :( Too much headache and complaints from my wife. I should try disabling NAT Acceleration and see if things are fixed though. Otherwise I might just sell them and hold out for something more reliable.

So glad I finally Googled around and came across this thread. Disabling NAT Acceleration on my RT-AC1900P fixed two issues I was running into:
  • My Samsung S8 Active was dropping calls when transitioning between the two RT-AC1900P routers that make up my AiMesh network
  • August Smart Lock had a long delay detecting my arrival and unlocking
After disabling NAT Acceleration, those issues are gone! Thanks so much!

I am curious why so many people need a mesh network in their home. I have one RT-AC88U in my living room coat closet and it covers my entire 1/2-acre property, both stories of my house, and I can even walk a couple hundred feet past my property before my phone drops the WiFi connection. And that's on 2.4 GHz with over a dozen nearby APs visible.

I am curious why so many people need a mesh network in their home. I have one RT-AC88U in my living room coat closet and it covers my entire 1/2-acre property, both stories of my house, and I can even walk a couple hundred feet past my property before my phone drops the WiFi connection. And that's on 2.4 GHz with over a dozen nearby APs visible.

Good point. I added a wireless repeater to get WiFi and a wired VoIP phone in a detached brick garage/shop. I upgraded that to AiMesh. AiMesh offers centralized management with automatic configuration of node backhauls and WiFi, extended WiFi coverage, full speed wireless backhauls, improved same SSID roaming, and re-using former routers as nodes.

As I see it, a primary use for mesh is to wirelessly and more easily extend LAN and WLANs to areas currently not being serviced adequately by the site router. Perimeter/Exterior/Embedded IoT clients are requiring WiFi service than the typical home router can not provide from its hole behind the media center in the corner of the basement. So, people need a mesh network.

OE