What's new

Asus AIMesh Guest network issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

A small follow-up; only the first two (2.4 / 5.0 Ghz.) guest network have the "Sync to AiMesh Node"-option. Which I have enabled.
The other 4 guest network options do >NOT< have this option.

Either way; it doesn't help at all. When I connect to the guest network, it will says "Getting IP" and will stay on that and than disconnect. So it does not work.
Also tried the other guest network screens.

And no, I have this phone not in my DHCP list or whatever...

Sucks that this does not work, as it's very important...

Exactly same issue for me, I am using 2x RT AX92U with latest firmware. I also hard reset both routers. Guest Network connecting thru the Node cannot get an IP addresss.

Apparently we are the only ones with these issues related to the guest network. Weird... No clue how to fix this.
Maybe I will have to look into a different brand router which actually does work. I didn't have these issues with a dirt cheap TP-Link router with DD-WRT on it. Could setup a seperate guest network quite easily.

Oh well, maybe someone will come up with a working solution or perhaps it's really a bug (when setting up a new/fresh Asus router with MerlinWRT along with a guest network).

Apparently we are the only ones with these issues related to the guest network. Weird... No clue how to fix this.
Maybe I will have to look into a different brand router which actually does work. I didn't have these issues with a dirt cheap TP-Link router with DD-WRT on it. Could setup a seperate guest network quite easily.

Oh well, maybe someone will come up with a working solution or perhaps it's really a bug (when setting up a new/fresh Asus router with MerlinWRT along with a guest network).

Perhaps try a different/basic guest WLAN1 SSID and password to test if there is some character conflict with the current credentials.

OE

Perhaps try a different/basic guest WLAN1 SSID and password to test if there is some character conflict with the current credentials.

OE

I just tried that... Changed the SSID name of the guest networks (both) to something really simple (both different).
And I also changed the password for both SSIDS to something very simple. Same result: "Fetching IP-address" and that takes a few seconds and it aborts...

The only time it does seem to work (and connects to the AiMesh node) is when I enable "Intranet Access", then it will get an IP-address quickly...
...however, what's the use of having a guest network, when you can still browse local network devices? Nothing...

The only time it does seem to work (and connects to the AiMesh node) is when I enable "Intranet Access", then it will get an IP-address quickly...
...however, what's the use of having a guest network, when you can still browse local network devices? Nothing...
Flash the AC86U node with Asus firmware Current Version : 3.0.0.4.386_44470, remove the node from the mesh, which will reset it, then add it back. I am running an AC86U node with an AX86U router and the Guest 1 does work.

Flash the AC86U node with Asus firmware Current Version : 3.0.0.4.386_44470, remove the node from the mesh, which will reset it, then add it back. I am running an AC86U node with an AX86U router and the Guest 1 does work.

So I have to go back to the original Asus firmware, instead of using MerlinWRT 386.3_2 (latest version)?

@RMerlin is your firmware revision different compared to the Asus one in terms of Guest Network? Maybe your version has a bug? Can you confirm this (or not) please.

So I have to go back to the original Asus firmware, instead of using MerlinWRT 386.3_2 (latest version)?

@RMerlin is your firmware revision different compared to the Asus one in terms of Guest Network? Maybe your version has a bug? Can you confirm this (or not) please.
My wifi code is identical to stock firmware. If 42095 was buggy and Asus fixed it later, then you have to wait until I can upgrade to the newer code.

I am having exact same issue using RT-AX92U. Guest network with Intranet access disable, and having it sync to AIMesh Node. If device connect Guest Network thru Node it will not be able to fetch IP address.

My wifi code is identical to stock firmware. If 42095 was buggy and Asus fixed it later, then you have to wait until I can upgrade to the newer code.
Okay, let's hope it's indeed the Asus firmware... Otherwise I really have no clue what could cause the issues I (and others apparently) are experiencing...

When using guest networks across a mesh the Sync to AiMesh Node needs to be set to All. This is a setting in each guest network setting.
Sync is already set to All. Clients will get a valid IP (IP from your main network range) and work from the nodes Only if the Access to Intranet is set to enabled. The moment you turn the Access to Intranet to Disabled only clients near the main router will work and get a Guest network IP. All nodes will still show the Guest network SSID but the moment you try to connect on them you do not get any IP.

Only if the Access to Intranet is set to enabled.
I see that too. It sort of defeats much of the purpose of having a Guest network (AFA preventing a malicious guest client from attacking the LAN). Only benefit I see is that you don't have to expose the main SSID & LAN password to IoT clients & guest users. But that 's a marginal benefit.

Last edited:
My best guess is that the (current) firmware is bugged... Hopefully the new version will be bug free in terms of having a (really) safe guest network...

I see that too. It sort of defeats much of the purpose of having a Guest network (AFA preventing a malicious guest client from attacking the LAN). Only benefit I see is that you don't have to expose the main SSID & LAN password to IoT clients & guest users. But that 's a marginal benefit.
Correct. That is the whole point. Especially to have unbranded/untested IoT devices and Guests devices on a network that is separated from my own.

I have flashed my RT-AX92U pair into the latest version 3.0.0.4.386.44985 release on 26/Aug/2021. The same error on Guest Network is still exist.

I have flashed my RT-AX92U pair into the latest version 3.0.0.4.386.44985 release on 26/Aug/2021. The same error on Guest Network is still exist.
Are you using WIFI or Ethernet backhaul?
Have you done an Asus Hard Factory Reset?

You would create a guest network because you don't want your guests knowing your main WiFi password. I wouldn't trust it for anything else beyond that.

Running RMerlin puts you at additional risk as any custom scripts running could have additional vulnerabilities.

Setup good firewall rules, lockdown your PC's to protect them from shady IOT devices

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!