What's new

Asus AiMesh technology 802.11kv detected but no 802.11r

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ankhazam

Hey,
I did some digging through the forums and Asus' AX routers specifications and admit failure in finding any reliable pieces of information. Hence this topic.
So I have an RT-AX88U running 388 with 2 aimesh nodes RP-AX56 (on their latest 386) firmware

I have ran a spectrum scan using the following tool https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html which according to its documentation " Version 2.15: Added '802.11 Standards' column, which displays the 802.11 Standards that the access point supports: 802.11d, 802.11e, 802.11h, 802.11i, 802.11k, 802.11r, and more..."

EDIT: The NirSoft tool above fails to detect 802.11kv on Windows for whatever reason. But WinFi tool detects them properly.

1669460680704.png

Hence only 802.11r is apparently missing at the moment.

Last edited:
802.11k/v must be supported, no 802.11r when I checked lately. What superior AiMesh products? There are better "mesh" products even on the consumer market. Controller managed SMB multi-AP systems also outperform AiMesh in both throughput and roaming, plus much more control, plus VLANs.

More:

802.11kv is enabled even on single router mode (AC86U). Probably because I have smart connect band steering. But yeah no 802.11r . Idk why though.

Does it show up for you in this tool? Doesn't show up on my AX200 W10 :(
I'm using a MacBook and i have a different software that can see those things. I haven't found an app that shows those info on Android though.. Here's what my AC86U with Smart Connect Band Steering shows on my MacBook

1669106878429.png

but why no 802.11r? :(

I have no inside info on ASUS' thought process ... but I read wikipedia's article on 802.11r, which states that it has serious security problems. It wouldn't surprise me if they're not supporting it because of that. I notice that my Zyxel gear also supports k and v but not r.

You generally don't see 11r implemented on consumer gear because it usually works with 802.11x authentication. This requires support on the STA side and also usually requires a RADIUS server.

11r is mainly needed for voice and VoIP applications like in some hospital communication systems. It has no real value for home systems.

It also could be that the AP won't advertise 11r unless it sees that a STA supports it. But I think it is more likely the first reason.

You generally don't see 11r implemented on consumer gear because it usually works with 802.11x authentication. This requires support on the STA side and also usually requires a RADIUS server.

11r is mainly needed for voice and VoIP applications like in some hospital communication systems. It has no real value for home systems.

11r does require inter access point support - e.g. the DS, and yes, usually radius...

I see it on many hospitality networks - hotels, coffee shops, airports - not guest facing, but back of house to secure and extend their VLAN for wireless and wired connectivity.

Do note that VoWiFi doesn't need 11r - that's an IPSeC tunnel to the carrier's IMS core...