What's new

Asus AiMesh wireless speed query

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The recommended list of routers in Post 10 (note: all are AX routers) will be able to push even 2 stream AC clients to their maximum throughput and lowest latency levels.

No AC class router today can touch them. Even if both AC and AX class routers may not be able to give you full 1Gbps ISP paid for speeds in any specific wireless environment.
Thanks for clarifying! Both you and Tech9 have been extremely helpful and I really appreciate it . I would be extremely happy if I was able to achieve 600 Mbps from the node noting other environmental factors.

The AX-92X are on sale right now

RT-AX92U? This is 4-years old weird 3-radio router with single AX radio. Originally the AX radio was intended for wireless backhaul only, turning the system into more fancy AC setup. It was sold in 2-pack version only. Later Asus allowed in firmware clients connected to the AX radio. Single routers started to appear in retailers. Not very popular here on SNB and not Asuswrt-Merlin supported indeed. It's not on sale - it's perhaps on clearance.

Yes it’s being sold as 2-pack over here. I believe it is a clearance item. I haven’t really considered it seriously as these are not supported by Merlin firmware. I’ll definitely look at the AX86S and AX86U. I believe the latter is more powerful but I’m not sure if there is any other added benefit. We do have a long house with lots of walls and doors in between therefore having a steady strong fast connection is important.

I believe the latter is more powerful

AX86U has 2x more CPU cores, 2x more RAM and a single 2.5GbE WAN/LAN port. The radios on AX86S and AX86U are the same. The range and connection speed will be the same too. AX86U is a better choice if you have >Gigabit ISP or plan to run multiple custom scripts or VPN clients.

AX86U has 2x more CPU cores, 2x more RAM and a single 2.5GbE WAN/LAN port. The radios on AX86S and AX86U are the same. The range and connection speed will be the same too. AX86U is a better choice if you have >Gigabit ISP or plan to run multiple custom scripts or VPN clients.
Thanks! It looks like AX86U is the one I should aim for given I do utilize VPN - I set this up directly through the router using the customizable settings in Merlin firmware as not every device will need this. The latest version of firmware makes everything so much easier!

I am not sure how much the AX86U sells for over there but they average around A$400 to A$450 here. Would you choose this over the AX88U? Cheers

given I do utilize VPN

OpenVPN uses single core only. The cores in AX86S and AX86U are the same type with the same clock frequency. OpenVPN performance on AX86U will be better only if you use multiple VPN clients at the same time on different CPU cores.

Would you choose this over the AX88U?

Yes. More compact vertical design, newer build router, newer SDK, reported issues with extra ports switch on AX88U. I do have an AX88U in my routers collection, but I rarely use it for testing because of its size and weird antennas placement.

OpenVPN performance on AX86U will be better only if you use multiple VPN clients at the same time on different CPU cores.
It sounds like this is probably the router I would need to consider given we do connect multiple devices concurrently. The price differential between this and the RT-AX86S is anywhere from A$50-A$150.

If you had the money would you still pick AX86U over the AX11000? I think if I was patient and shopped around, the price differential could end up being quite minimal.

Yes. More compact vertical design, newer build router, newer SDK, reported issues with extra ports switch on AX88U
Thanks for the feedback . I've also been reading a site called "dongknows.com" for help.