What's new

ASUS Announces RT-AX86U and RT-AX82U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It could also be a problem related to the AC66U struggling to handle processing the combined extra throughput data.

I suspect this as well. Samba really takes a toll on these low power routers with USB drives. It's smarter to use a NAS, but I can't be bothered atm, maybe later. And it's cheaper for me to just get the AX86U since I'm trashing the WRT3200acm anyway.

I suspect this as well. Samba really takes a toll on these low power routers with USB drives. It's smarter to use a NAS, but I can't be bothered atm, maybe later. And it's cheaper for me to just get the AX86U since I'm trashing the WRT3200acm anyway.
I predict that you are going to really like the RT-AX86U. The 1.8Ghz quad core is the real deal. Let us know your experience in here after you set it up and have it running for a few days.

Have it setup, setup was smooth, both USB drives functioning great.

Streaming videos from the drives makes no impact on the 5ghz. I don't use the 2.4, all the devices are on the 5ghz.

Next on the list is to upgrade the cable modem to the DOSCSIS 3.1 since my current modem is supposedly rated optimal for 400mb/s line, dunno how that works since I'm getting almost 700.

Disabling AX mode until rest of my devices are upgraded next year, 449mb/s down. Seems disabling AX mode if your devices are AC makes a difference. Seems weird to disable AX, but honestly I bought this for the dual 3.0 USB drives and the quad core. /shrug

Last edited:
Have it setup, setup was smooth, both USB drives functioning great.

Streaming videos from the drives makes no impact on the 5ghz. I don't use the 2.4, all the devices are on the 5ghz.

Next on the list is to upgrade the cable modem to the DOSCSIS 3.1 since my current modem is supposedly rated optimal for 400mb/s line, dunno how that works since I'm getting almost 700.

Disabling AX mode until rest of my devices are upgraded next year, 449mb/s down. Seems disabling AX mode if your devices are AC makes a difference. Seems weird to disable AX, but honestly I bought this for the dual 3.0 USB drives and the quad core. /shrug
It's good to know it's working well for you especially when streaming from your USB 3.x drives. It sounds like you made the right choice to help solve USB throughput issues. It's strange that disabling AX mode is better with your setup for AC devices. That hasn't been my experience at all. I have the default of AX enabled and my AC devices are running better and faster than they ever did with my old Asus AC68P router in AC mode. Although it is probably just a result of the faster processing and improved radios in the AX86U and not the settings I'm getting over 700Mbps throughput on one of the AC devices that used to run in the 350-400 Mbps range and all the rest of my more distant 5Ghz devices run at higher speeds and with more stability than they ever did before. I also seem to have better stability and range using 2.4Ghz than with my old AC router. If you haven't already done so you might want to simply disable Asus Smart connect and use WPA2 instead of WPA3 to see if that makes a difference.

Last edited:
Uploading to both USB drives seems to take up a lot of ram. The CPU load is great though. From laptop, not the greatest transfer speed, both drives about 15 mb/s, seems for laptop it's about 30mb/s in total regardless if single or both drives being transferred to.

bQmIjcC.png

I wouldn't. They are 8tb 5400 spin drives, not USB drives... I'm not complaining. And I would blame the low powered Dell Inspirion 13 laptop. Avoid the Seagate Shingle drives, I've had horrible luck and the write speeds are soul crushing. WD have stated their 8tb and greater drives generally are not shingled.

110 mb/s with my desktop. While transferring, still get great net speeds watching 4K vids, hulu on the TV, two other devices connected, this is a nice router. Worth upgrading to the quad core router for me at least.

Last edited:
WTF are you talking about? You use 8tb SSD drives? What kind of stupid nonsense is this...

Starting to think you're just a troll or really clueless. Assuming flash drive when I said it's USB drives and further up talking about NAS. And then replying oh I'm so glad I got SSD when I stated they were 8tb archive drives. And of course to assume I don't use NVME drives on all my laptop/desktops. I just don't get it.

Last edited:
I'm eyeing the AX86U and have a question about the CPU performance.

I'm currently on a AC56U, and i want to run IPTraffic enabled to log my traffic statistics. Sadly my 1gigbit WAN connection caps out the CPU at about 300mbit transfer rate, so i have to run the router with hardware accelerated NAT.
Does anyone know if the CPU in a AX86U manages to pull off CPU-handled WAN traffic on a 1gigabit connection? Or would i have to run in hardware based dummy-mode without traffic analysis even on a AX86U?

WTF are you talking about? You use 8tb SSD drives? What kind of stupid nonsense is this...

Starting to think you're just a troll or really clueless. Assuming flash drive when I said it's USB drives and further up talking about NAS. And then replying oh I'm so glad I got SSD when I stated they were 8tb archive drives. And of course to assume I don't use NVME drives on all my laptop/desktops. I just don't get it.

Largest is 4TB ssd I own, perks of having a good paying career. But keep projecting...

I'm eyeing the AX86U and have a question about the CPU performance.

I'm currently on a AC56U, and i want to run IPTraffic enabled to log my traffic statistics. Sadly my 1gigbit WAN connection caps out the CPU at about 300mbit transfer rate, so i have to run the router with hardware accelerated NAT.
Does anyone know if the CPU in a AX86U manages to pull off CPU-handled WAN traffic on a 1gigabit connection? Or would i have to run in hardware based dummy-mode without traffic analysis even on a AX86U?

Considering you can use the 2.5gbps LAN port as a WAN port, the AX86u will very likely handle it no problem with its 1.8ghz quad core and 1gig of RAM vs your AC56U 800mhz dual core and 256meg ram

I'm currently on a AC56U, and i want to run IPTraffic enabled to log my traffic statistics.
IPTraffic is not present on the newer HND based routers because it is incompatible with their newer Linux kernel. They do have TrendMicro's Traffic Analyzer which might provide the information you want.

IPTraffic is not present on the newer HND based routers because it is incompatible with their newer Linux kernel. They do have TrendMicro's Traffic Analyzer which might provide the information you want.

Ah i see!
My guess i still have to disable HW-accelerated NAT for it to be able to read the traffic though. So my question remains to anyone with a modern Asus-router.. would the CPU be able to handle a 1000mbit connection?

Ah i see!
My guess i still have to disable HW-accelerated NAT for it to be able to read the traffic though. So my question remains to anyone with a modern Asus-router.. would the CPU be able to handle a 1000mbit connection?

Uh.....easily cause it has 1Gbps and 2.5Gbps LAN ports with a quad core CPU?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!