What's new

Asus AX-86u settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rsnhakan

Regular Contributor
Hi,

Nobody did reply at my question why my second XT8 keeps crashing every few days/weeks. So I brought them back and bought 2 AX-86u routers.

Question 1: the 2,5G port, is this a WAN port or LAN port?

Question 2: 160MHz is disabled by default in the 5GHz section. On my XT8 this was enabled by default.

Question 3: any tips?

Hi,

Nobody did reply at my question why my second XT8 keeps crashing every few days/weeks. So I brought them back and bought 2 AX-86u routers.

Question 1: the 2,5G port, is this a WAN port or LAN port?

Question 2: 160MHz is disabled by default in the 5GHz section. On my XT8 this was enabled by default.

Question 3: any tips?

See WAN\Dual WAN\Primary WAN to change the 2.5G port from LAN to WAN use. You could use it for a 2.5GbE wired backhaul. I use mine for a 2.5GbE WAN to 2.5GbE cable modem... I've got no other use for it at the moment.

See my install notes for configuration clues... they have been honed over 4 years, starting with a 2xAC68U AiMesh. They suggest using AX at 80 MHz bw unless you have a need to use 160 MHz. If your AiMesh is wireless, try setting 160 MHz bw and the control channel 36-64 (some DFS), or which ever control channel that will use the least DFS channels in your region (try this after you have commissioned your network at 80 MHz, so you can hope to perceive any negative difference such as DFS disruption of client connections).

Tips? Reset the firmware before you configure it. Its default settings are in the firmware, not in the hardware. Commission the router and use it until you are confident it is working properly before you proceed to build up your network... first things first... healthy router first. Later when you are familiar with your equipment and how it should work, you can run through commissioning a new network more quickly. Finally, be patient... let the router settle before evaluating cause and affect... its wireless behaviors improve over time as the router adapts.

OE

See WAN\Dual WAN\Primary WAN to change the 2.5G port from LAN to WAN use. You could use it for a 2.5GbE wired backhaul. I use mine for a 2.5GbE WAN to 2.5GbE cable modem... I've got no other use for it at the moment.

See my install notes for configuration clues... they have been honed over 4 years, starting with a 2xAC68U AiMesh. They suggest using AX at 80 MHz bw unless you have a need to use 160 MHz. If your AiMesh is wireless, try setting 160 MHz bw and the control channel 36-64 (some DFS), or which ever control channel that will use the least DFS channels in your region (try this after you have commissioned your network at 80 MHz, so you can hope to perceive any negative difference such as DFS disruption of client connections).

Tips? Reset the firmware before you configure it. Its default settings are in the firmware, not in the hardware. Commission the router and use it until you are confident it is working properly before you proceed to build up your network... first things first... healthy router first. Later when you are familiar with your equipment and how it should work, you can run through commissioning a new network more quickly. Finally, be patient... let the router settle before evaluating cause and affect... its wireless behaviors improve over time as the router adapts.

OE

Are there any benefits of this 2.5G port ? My internetspeed is 1Gb/ps. So I don't know if there are any advantages if I use the 2.5G port.

I always reset the router before use (after firmware upgrade). In the last years I configured a lot of Asus routers, but some options are also new for me and I always try to stick to stock settings. 160MHz was automatically enabled in XT8, but in AX-86u it's not...

Are there any benefits of this 2.5G port ? My internetspeed is 1Gb/ps. So I don't know if there are any advantages if I use the 2.5G port.

It's a configurable Ethernet port. I've already explained several ways to use it. If you can't understand how or why to use an Ethernet port, then don't use it.

I always reset the router before use (after firmware upgrade). In the last years I configured a lot of Asus routers, but some options are also new for me and I always try to stick to stock settings. 160MHz was automatically enabled in XT8, but in AX-86u it's not...

Forget the equipment you no longer own. Think forward.

OE

I use the 2.5 GB port as another LAN port and connect my NAS to it.
The 160 MHz on 5 GHz should be enabled by default unless you turn it off on setup.

Tips: Use Dual Band SmartConnect. 2.4 GHz at 20 MHz auto channel, 5 GHz at 20-40-80-160 MHz auto channel, disable WPS and leave the rest of the WIFI settings at default. WAN - enable DNS Privacy ( I use Quad9) and disable UPnP. Make sure you are up to date with the firmware - Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386_46061.

Enjoy!