What's new

Asus AX58U 2.4Ghz band keeps denying internet access

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jj626

Occasional Visitor
I beleive I am in the right place here but if not please direct me to the correct place for this question.

I am by no means an expert with networking but I have some limited expereince.
Let me begin by describiing the problem:
I bought myself this router (AX58u) in February of this year. I had problems with it from the beginning using stock firmware. The 5Ghz band worked perfectly and still does, but any device connected to the 2.4Ghz band frequently would lose internet access and pages would not load.
This was/is a problem for me because my TV operated on that band and so did my personal laptop.
I did some research and hoped that Merlin firmware would help so I installed the latest version at the time (March now), this did not fix the problem but I decided in the meantime to keep my old router running in order to use the 2.4 band on it, not the ideal solution I know but I had to do something.
I did not have much time to diagnose the problem but I found that it seems to go away once the Control channel changes, manually or through the auto setting. Through experimentation I tried to set the control channel manually but the problem would always come back and I would need to change the channel again. I have tried many other settings that I thought may be the problem but none worked. I also followed some guides on this forum in the hopes it would fix the issue.

I will attach some of the latest logs from my router. This problem occured today at approximatly 15:30 on my cell phone (76:B0:0B:D6:86:E7), I have looked through the logs but I do not understand what could be causing this problem.
I am happy to attach some pictures of my settings as well if that will help. If any additional information is required please let me know as I would like to solve this problem.

Attachments

• wlceventd.txt
    17 KB · Views: 126
  • messages.txt
    413.1 KB · Views: 361
Update:
This issue occurs randomly so it is very hard to diagnose.

Looks like the router is "adjusting" the WIFI bandwidth and channel. It is good practice to set fixed channels and bandwidth.
What works for me is: 2.4 GHz at 20 MHz on channel 11, 5 GHz at 160 MHz on channel 36, disable Airtime Fairness and Universal Beam forming for both bands, Use Dual Band SmartConnect.
You should use a WIFI scanner and choose WIFI channels that are best for your neighborhood. 2.4 GHz should be on channel 1, 6 or 11. For 5 GHz avoid channels 100-144 if at all possible.

Looks like the router is "adjusting" the WIFI bandwidth and channel. It is good practice to set fixed channels and bandwidth.
What works for me is: 2.4 GHz at 20 MHz on channel 11, 5 GHz at 160 MHz on channel 36, disable Airtime Fairness and Universal Beam forming for both bands, Use Dual Band SmartConnect.
You should use a WIFI scanner and choose WIFI channels that are best for your neighborhood. 2.4 GHz should be on channel 1, 6 or 11. For 5 GHz avoid channels 100-144 if at all possible.
I have applied these settings, no problems so far but I will keep my eye on it to be sure as I think I tried something similar a while ago and the problem came back.
I will update if it does.

With the settings you suggested the 2.4 band worked for about 28 hours with no problems.
As expected though the internet access cut out this afternoon and changing the channel bandwidth fixed the problem in seconds.
I assume when settings are changed it reboots the hardware or software that runs the 2.4Ghz band which resets it to have a successful internet connection again.
If this happens again I will attempt to change some other random setting to see if that also resolves the problem temporarily.
But if you or anyone has any other advice I would really appreciate it.

The issue re-appeared this morning after not being present for a few days.
In an experiment I changed the target wake up time setting to see if changing any setting would fix the problem.
The issue immediatly dissapeared. So I conclude that it doesnt matter what setting I modify as long as I change something and the wifi settings reboot in a way.
Has anyone ever heard of this or know how to fix it?

Show the "Tools" tab. I guess the temperature of the 2.4GHz chip will display 76°C .Your firmware is of the 386 series ?

My firmware is 386.2_4, the latest as of a week ago to my knowledge
The temperatures seem pretty normal to me but here it is:
1620642315848.png

I have also problems with the 2.4 Ghz band. Sometimes when the problem occurs the temparature of 2.4Ghz shows 76°C, but I noticed that sometimes
the temperatures show normal values.
I have my AX58 since september 2020 and had no problems with the initial 384.19 Merlin I installed. The problems came with 386 firmware.
I will redo a clean install of 384.19 and see how it works.

I have also problems with the 2.4 Ghz band. Sometimes when the problem occurs the temparature of 2.4Ghz shows 76°C, but I noticed that sometimes
the temperatures show normal values.
I have my AX58 since september 2020 and had no problems with the initial 384.19 Merlin I installed. The problems came with 386 firmware.
I will redo a clean install of 384.19 and see how it works.
I have had problems with my 2.4Ghz band even on stock asus firmware so I don't think it is the firmware in my case unfortunately...
I did have an idea however. Seeing as how restarting the wifi by changing the settings seems to fix my problem,
I have created a simple script that will restart my 2.4Ghz band every hour so that the issue never really arises.
I will keep my eye on the wifi with this new script applied and see if the problem comes back within a week.

If it works I will post details of what I did to help someone else out

It is so random. It can work without problems for 3 days and then occur 2 or 3 times a day. My 384.19 is installed now and when it is succesful, I'll wait for a 388 firmware.
As I have no AiMesh, it is not a problem to stay with an older version. I suspect the WiFi driver in 386.

It is so random. It can work without problems for 3 days and then occur 2 or 3 times a day. My 384.19 is installed now and when it is succesful, I'll wait for a 388 firmware.
As I have no AiMesh, it is not a problem to stay with an older version. I suspect the WiFi driver in 386.
That is similar behaviour to what I experience actually. I can sometimes last a whole weekend with no problems but then sometimes itll happen every two hours. Thats why I have had such a hard time fixing it. If you do manage to fix it with 384 let me know and I will give it a shot.
If my little script hack works I will let you know though.
I wonder if this is something to do with the AT58U specifically because I can't find anyone else having this problem.

I've have this issue occur almost once a month on my AC86U and have to cycle the 2.4 radio. Tried both Merlin and Official firmwares.

With Merlin firmwares this issue occured to me with an AC88U when updateting from version 386.1.2 to 386.2.x. Since reverting back to 386.1.2 the 2.4 GHz radio is stable. Have not tried with the official firmware from ASUS, but since Merlin-WRT is an enhanced version of the offical version, I do not suspect it will cure the problem.

Interesting, so it seems this is a problem with some of the more modern routers then. It's strange that the issue is not more abundent but maybe we just have faulty 2.4 GHz radios on our routers...
I will give reverting back to an older version a try if my solution proves to be innefective in the long run.

I would like to report an update though. Yesterday at around 16:15 the problem appeared again and my script that runs every hour rebooted the 2.4 radio at 17:00 and the problem dissapeared. So it works but may not be the best solution as I went 45 minutes with no internet on my device.

I also have internet issues with the 2.4ghz WiFi band with the AX58U, still on version 386.1
The problem is hopping from device to device in a strange way.
One day my smart home controller have issues to connect to the internet, but the day after for example my smart thermostat.
Restarting the WIFI is the solution to fix it.
But the problem will be back after a few hours/days.
On version 384.19 i didn't have the issue.

Last edited:
So my AX58U is now with firmware 384.19 for more than 5 days. No temperature jump to 76°C on the 2.4GHz chip and
no performance loss on 2.4GHz. The 5Ghz band works well with all firmwares.
So for me it seems to be a bug in ASUS's WiFi driver. I'll wait for the next major update.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-05-15 ASUS Wireless Router RT-AX58U - System Information.png
    Screenshot_2021-05-15 ASUS Wireless Router RT-AX58U - System Information.png
    60.6 KB · Views: 159
I will be downgrading to 384.19 today, I hope it solves my problem. If it does I am with @clweb, I will also wait for the next major update and hope that it is fixed then.
My other solution is a bit janky and does not really solve the problem overall.

Hello,
The first time I noticed the problems, I followed all the instruction from L&LD and the problem was still present.
Remember I had the 2.4Ghz chipset temperature jumping to 76°C without heavy traffic on this band, and simultaneously the 2.4GHz performance was
down.

Now I am back to 384.19 and for over 7 days I had NO problem.
As I said before, I suspect the WiFi driver on the router having some vicious bug as the problem is sporadic, but occurring often enough to be annoying.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!