What's new

Asus AX58U (Merlin) VPN Speed to slow

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kocka007

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,
I want to ask for help.
I am a beginner on the topic of VPN, so I apologize in advance. I set up the VPN on the AX58U router. I also tried OpenVPN and IPSec, but neither of them know more than 55Mbps. I'm amazed that IPSec isn't faster without encryption either. Is there a setting that could be faster? Thanks in advance

If both IPSEC and OpenVPN are limiting you to 55 Mbps, then the bottleneck isn't the technology, it's your connection.

can you do hard reset of router and setup only VPN and retest. What is CPU load?
it a bit strange that IPSEC speeds the same as OpenVPN but is possible depend of you VPN settings.
Yes you can achieve VPN 100Mbit on this router if you are not using QoS for example the same time therefore testing after router reset could provide more info.

If both IPSEC and OpenVPN are limiting you to 55 Mbps, then the bottleneck isn't the technology, it's your connection.
The VPN server runs on a 1000 / 300Mbps network. What I want to achieve is a 100 / 100Mbps connection. So I can't expect speeds faster than 55Mbps?

can you do hard reset of router and setup only VPN and retest. What is CPU load?
it a bit strange that IPSEC speeds the same as OpenVPN but is possible depend of you VPN settings.
Yes you can achieve VPN 100Mbit on this router if you are not using QoS for example the same time therefore testing after router reset could provide more info.
I can't reset it now because I'm not next to the router.
The cpu load during the speed test is 100% on a core. I dont use QoS.
Can't I do anything other than the reset?

The VPN server runs on a 1000 / 300Mbps network. What I want to achieve is a 100 / 100Mbps connection. So I can't expect speeds faster than 55Mbps?
You should be able to hit around 80-90 Mbps. Can`t hit 100 Mbps because VPN has overhead.

55 Mbps is quite low, something in your setup is slowing things down. Could be wifi (if testing over Wifi), could be misconfigured QoS, etc...

The router CPU is certainly capable of reaching faster rates, especially IPSEC.

How are you testing speed? What type of latency is there between devices? What device is at the other end of the tunnel?

You should be able to hit around 80-90 Mbps. Can`t hit 100 Mbps because VPN has overhead.

55 Mbps is quite low, something in your setup is slowing things down. Could be wifi (if testing over Wifi), could be misconfigured QoS, etc...

The router CPU is certainly capable of reaching faster rates, especially IPSEC.

Thanks for the reply.
I tested it on both wifi and cable, 50-55Mbps in both cases. I don't use QoS, it's off. On the other hand, I use entware and transmission. A torrent never runs during a test.
IPSec is also about 50-55Mbps.

How are you testing speed? What type of latency is there between devices? What device is at the other end of the tunnel?
I tested it on both wifi and cable, 50-55Mbps in both cases. PC ( R5 3600, B450 Toma Max), Mobilphone: Xiaomi MI8 and Iphone 11.
Latency with VPN: 30-40ms, without VPN 5-10ms.