What's new

Asus AX86U + Apple TV 4K

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

airlung

Regular Contributor
Any one who have an Apple TV Ethernet connected to an Asus router? Everything works fine but the Apple TV keeps linking up and down when it is in sleep mode flooding the Asus system log with link up/down messages.

Attachments

• 17E23A5A-8944-4C1A-8CC5-A7DC2D3E120D.jpeg
    17E23A5A-8944-4C1A-8CC5-A7DC2D3E120D.jpeg
    161.7 KB · Views: 90
Yeah, the ATV does that, presumably to save power. Pro tip: ignore those log messages.
You can also set the log level to 5 which stops a lot of that type of message.

I am just worried about this will effect the overall performance as it is linking up/ down 24/7 every few secs

As @bbunge said, if you're worried about the cost of those log messages, your log verbosity level is too high.

However, a possible alternative is to stick a cheap ethernet switch between the ATV and the router. The ATV will still be doing its power-saving thing, but the router won't know it.

I have seen this behavior in the log of an EdgeRouter-X that I had my Apple TV (2017 model, 1st-generation ATV 4K) plugged into for awhile. However, I gave up on that arrangement so I don't have any current log to show. No idea if there is any corresponding behavior on wireless.

As @bbunge said, if you're worried about the cost of those log messages, your log verbosity level is too high.

However, a possible alternative is to stick a cheap ethernet switch between the ATV and the router. The ATV will still be doing its power-saving thing, but the router won't know it.
I using a switch like this with ATV4: I don't see log messages described in #1

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!