What's new

Asus-AX86u QoS settings for gigabit connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Well, the real coneheads have had their say as usual. They may be right technically. But if using QOS makes you happy, use it. It just might make things better. Then again it could make things worse. Play with it to see what works. I have Adaptive QOS enabled and it does not hurt. The ISP bandwidth limiter does kick in every time I start a download. Even so, I get an A bufferbloat score. But who cares. The girls are happy.

So what you are saying is that since home routers have no WRED (which is mainly used in the core routers of the network), FQCodel/Cake (which is actually a great improvement over WRED, since it is much easier to manage) is useless in choke points and you recommend rate limiting a connection instead? A very strange piece of advice indeed.

We run about 15,000 edge routers with WRED on the hard capped policers. Easier to manage does not mean better. Yes, when you are not able to do proper "soft" QoS, then preventing the problematic machine from affecting others using a hard choke point is exactly what I'm recommending.

Same reason that you wouldn't (in corporate or private world) put a heavily utilized SFTP server on a 10G connection that is shared with VOIP, or trading, or any other latency/jitter sensitive traffic. The only way to make that work is to apply QoS in both directions, and use a enterprise grade hardware to process the QoS or it will just get overloaded and discard packets due to buffers filling (due to the fact that it can't process that kind of traffic).

The point is, bufferbloat scores are meaningless. All you're doing is moving the impact to some other place to improve one machine's score on a test site. With the proper hardware "under provisioning" a connection is a great thing, it is the standard model I work with every day, ensures critical packets like TCP control messages, BGP routing, etc get through at wire speed. But thinking you can do that on one of these routers is silly. Like I said, there are certain scenarios where using QoS on these routers can help alleviate (to a certain extent) a problem, but one should only start messing with it if and when such a problem crops up. And most likely you'll need something more powerful to do it on a gig connection.

Well, the real coneheads have had their say as usual. They may be right technically. But if using QOS makes you happy, use it. It just might make things better. Then again it could make things worse. Play with it to see what works. I have Adaptive QOS enabled and it does not hurt. The ISP bandwidth limiter does kick in every time I start a download. Even so, I get an A bufferbloat score. But who cares. The girls are happy.

The original point was don't go chasing buffer bloat scores. The only thing they tell you is that you're able to fully utilize your connection during a speed test. A high score means you're leaving bandwidth on the table. In some cases, it is just a little bit and it is necessary, in others it is for no reason other than to get that A or mythical A+. If it is working for you, great.

I've run the buffer bloat test a few times and score ranged from A to C. So their server is suspect as far as I'm concerned too. Regardless I can run a teams call with 50 people, use wifi calling, work VPN, all at the same time with 0 issues on my 300/300 connection. With no QoS.

My head is somewhere between round and egg.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!