What's new

Asus-AX86u QoS settings for gigabit connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

josh3003

Regular Contributor
Hi there,
Recently upgraded to a 1000/50 connection and want to know how I am able to best utilise QoS so I can not hit the upload policier that my ISP has in place. Is it best to use adaptive/cake or FlexQoS to achieve highest download/upload speeds on this router? Thanks in advance.

Hi there,
Recently upgraded to a 1000/50 connection and want to know how I am able to best utilise QoS so I can not hit the upload policier that my ISP has in place. Is it best to use adaptive/cake or FlexQoS to achieve highest download/upload speeds on this router? Thanks in advance.

No QOS at all is how you get the highest speeds. QOS helps prevent multiple users or apps from interfering with each other but it will typically prevent you from getting 100% max speed. You do not need any QoS on the download side. On upload you only need it if you notice users or apps contending with one another and causing issues.

No QOS at all is how you get the highest speeds. QOS helps prevent multiple users or apps from interfering with each other but it will typically prevent you from getting 100% max speed. You do not need any QoS on the download side. On upload you only need it if you notice users or apps contending with one another and causing issues.
Thanks, might just cop the upload policer it isn't a huge dealbreaker. Thanks will just keep it disabled then.

I'm on a 1000/50 connection for several years now (my carrier, even though is reliable, keeps increasing the price without adding anything to that poor 50mbps upload) and I'm using no QoS whatsoever and never had problems.
We can do our meetings very well even when my NAS uses all upload speed due to Cloud Sync. Also, no problems when the same NAS downloads like crazy.
Unless you have problems that must be fixed, don't bother with QoS.
If you decide to use any QoS, read properly what every mode does to your specific router (on some models it disables NAT acceleration) and decide. There's no QoS that fits all. Some prefer a mode, some other, some (like me) none.

Use adaptive qos. Still gets over 900mbps down and 47 up. I use a switch with egress limiter and always see 945/47.5 mbps on my nbn fttp

Use adaptive qos. Still gets over 900mbps down and 47 up. I use a switch with egress limiter and always see 945/47.5 mbps on my nbn fttp
I just got a TL-SG105E as my switch to do egress limiting today to get around this. I set up 2 vLan's but anything that's in the switch (couple of rpi's and a samsung tv) and they can't connect or are super slow. Don't know why.. everything else works and the switch egress limiter is doing its job perfectly. I need those ports to work as I don't have any extra's on my ax86u.

No QoS. Don't hurt yourself for no reason. Adaptive QoS is your only option and only of you really need it.

Don't use it if you don't have any problems.
It all depends on how much you upload. If you want an upload to take precedence over another, QoS is the only option.
Download - it will make 0 difference in most cases. Most carriers/SP are clearing any QoS bit so 99% if not higher of your download traffic will come as BE.

I would recommend QOS and that is for the reason of Buffer Bloat.

I have fully tested with QOS on and OFF and performance in speed tests make no difference but what makes a difference is Buffer Bloat.

This is when network equipment over saturates and causes performance loss by latency. QOS does more than just assign priority to the packets it shapes the packets so it does not over saturate the network devices.

With QOS enabled I get a Grade A and never fails on upload test
with QOS disabled I still get a Grade A but the upload test will stall/fail and never start as the download has saturated the network hardware devices causing a packet and or latency loss

So should always use QOS unless all your hardware is rated for well over 1Gbps connections especially older devices as they will saturate and cause performance hits in the upload especially with latency.

Now if say you know ALL of your devices fully support a Gigabit connection than enable QOS you won't see a loss in performance but an increase with older devices that do not support Gigabit connections.

You're only hurting yourself 95% of the time for something that may eventually happen 5% of the time.

I have fully tested with QOS on and OFF and performance in speed tests make no difference but what makes a difference is Buffer Bloat.

This is when network equipment over saturates and causes performance loss by latency. QOS does more than just assign priority to the packets it shapes the packets so it does not over saturate the network devices.

With QOS enabled I get a Grade A and never fails on upload test
with QOS disabled I still get a Grade A but the upload test will stall/fail and never start as the download has saturated the network hardware devices causing a packet and or latency loss

So should always use QOS unless all your hardware is rated for well over 1Gbps connections especially older devices as they will saturate and cause performance hits in the upload especially with latency.

Now if say you know ALL of your devices fully support a Gigabit connection than enable QOS you won't see a loss in performance but an increase with older devices that do not support Gigabit connections.

Buffer bloat is for the most part a fallacy. When you saturate your connection (such as when running a speed test) you'll hit your buffers. And guess what? Qos is just a software buffer earlier in the path which performs worse than hardware buffers. But if you want to be popular on reddit, by all means focus on your buffer bloat score.

Buffer bloat is for the most part a fallacy. When you saturate your connection (such as when running a speed test) you'll hit your buffers. And guess what? Qos is just a software buffer earlier in the path which performs worse than hardware buffers. But if you want to be popular on reddit, by all means focus on your buffer bloat score.
This is a complete misunderstanding of what QOS is.

When you only control one side of the connection, it is exactly what QOS is.
No it is not, that is the complete misunderstanding of what network congestion is and how it occurs. If we speak about TCP, QoS affects both sides, since it affects the TCP congestion control mechanism (and acknowledgment in particular). Please stop misleading other users.

Good luck with one sided QoS on a router relying heavily on NAT acceleration hacks and on top of already applied QoS by the ISP.

No it is not, that is the complete misunderstanding of what network congestion is and how it occurs. If we speak about TCP, QoS affects both sides, since it affects the TCP congestion control mechanism (and acknowledgment in particular). Please stop misleading other users.

Not misleading anyone. TCP's congestion detection mechanism is very crude, it throttles back, ramps up, throttles back, ramps up, rinse and repeat. The QOS policing implemented in these home routers is also very crude, they aren't using advanced methods like WRED. You also have no control over the buffer sizes, the time constant, etc.

There are a few circumstances (mostly on the upload direction) where QOS is helpful on a home internet connection, but only the minimum amount necessary should be applied. In many cases it will do more harm than good. Buffer bloat scores are extremely misleading and only test a scenario where you are completely saturating your connection. Trying to alleviate that can just end up adding latency and drops to "normal" usage scenarios.

If you control both ends of the connection you can prioritize traffic better using COS, TOS, shaping etc. When you control only one end you can apply some crude prioritization which like I said, only really works in the upload direction, in the download direction you're just trying to influence TCP congestion detection and it is too late at that point. The only thing you can apply to download is a hard cap on speed, there is no prioritization as that would have to be done on the ISP end.

I deal with COS, TOS, CBQOS, shaping and policing every day at work. I see it function in the real world constantly.

If you are having a specific issue like a PC that is doing lots of large downloads interfering with VOIP calls or video conferencing on another device, then you can look into applying QOS to that one machine to try and improve (but likely not eliminate) the problem. In reality you'd be better served by applying a hardware limitation to that PC before it even hits the Asus (port speed limited to 100M or rate limiting on a switch in the path, limiting the wifi connection speed, etc). But if you aren't having a specific issue, just leave it off.

Last edited:
So what you are saying is that since home routers have no WRED (which is mainly used in the core routers of the network), FQCodel/Cake (which is actually a great improvement over WRED, since it is much easier to manage) is useless in choke points and you recommend rate limiting a connection instead? A very strange piece of advice indeed.

I'm saying on a home router with Broadcom black box and no real packet processing you can't do true QoS on a Gigabit line. On slower ISPs you have a chance with Cake or simple Bandwidth Limiter, up to about 400Mbps because this is what the CPU can process. Your mileage will vary greatly depending on what QoS is already in place on the ISP side. There is a pretty good chance you'll only make the things worse. Don't evaluate your line quality by worst case scenario created by online bufferbloat tests. You may be getting better score on their website only and worse Internet experience everywhere else.

What model home router can process Gigabit with Cake? Is Cake available in stock Asuswrt?
The thread title - "Asus-AX86u QoS settings for gigabit connection"
The forum section - "ASUSWRT - Official"

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!