What's new

Asus AX86u WPA3?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

itsjustme999

Occasional Visitor
I have my iPhone 13 mini and a MacBook that supports WPA3 Personal and of course, the AX86U does as well.

When selecting WPA3 PERSONAL on my AX86U router, should I enable the Protected Management Framework?

Will this slow down my internet connection if I enable it?

Does the PMF also provide more security?

WPA3 requires PMF. Newer WPA2 devices support it, but don't require it. If you want older (pre 2018) WPA2 devices (which do not support PMF) to be able to connect, you need to enable transition mode. I believe in Asus that means setting it to WPA2/WPA3 and Protected Management Frames to something like "capable"? However beware that some have issues with transition mode and WPA3 is still very new.

Will not impact your internet connection. It also really isn't necessary in a home setting, unless you have neighbors that are hackers and want to waste a lot of time brute forcing your wifi.

If you really want WPA3, I'd suggest setting up your main network with that and PMF enabled, and a guest network (different SSID) with WPA2 and PMF disabled. Legacy devices that don't support WPA3 use the guest network.

I have my iPhone 13 mini and a MacBook that supports WPA3 Personal and of course, the AX86U does as well.

When selecting WPA3 PERSONAL on my AX86U router, should I enable the Protected Management Framework?

Will this slow down my internet connection if I enable it?

Does the PMF also provide more security?

Try using Authentication Method WPA2/WPA3-Personal... it will force using Protected Management Frames Capable and offers new/improved security for WPA3 capable clients. If any older clients protest, revert to using WPA2-Personal only... or divvy up your WLANs/clients however you see fit. I prefer to leave my guest WLANs using WPA2-Personal for max compatibility with unknown guest devices and/or simple IoT clients.

OE

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!