What's new

Asus AX88U MERLIN Lite Version request!!!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kronic_187

Occasional Visitor
Hi Merlin,

Is it possible you can create a Lite firmware for the AX88U? Remove all the unnecessary features and just basic routing capabilities. Remove many GUI options and Remove AiMesh, Remove all advanced features, and keep it to a minimum where the random disconnects are ceased and no more RED light of DEATH. Then we can Beta test one by one certain features and add bi-weekly or monthly firmware. We really want to figure out what is wrong with this router and what features makes it disconnect the most for all users.

My 2 cents are, ASUS knew the router had AiMesh issues along with other issues and focused on making the router work for unveiling and thought many regular users would not use the AiMesh or would not have the money to buy multiple $400 dollar routers. I can seriously live with Adhoc or Access Point backhauled with Ethernet cable.

A Lite Version of the Merlin firmware stripping more than 1/2 the features and making it super simple GUI might fix the issues!!!

I seriously think we should do Lite Versions of the firmware and we appreciate all that Merlin does. Buying $400 routers and having the possibility to fix them since the manufacture is too weak would be amazing. Do we even have Donations or GoFundMe Merlin??

While I understand your idea and where you are coming from, having lite version of firmware is not possible, merlin get gpl with closed source binary for various modules, so he simply can't remove them when building firmware image. Example all wifi, aimesh, majority of wan, network map any many other are close source, meaning if you compile firmware they will be transferred as it is in the build. Let's suppose that even if he remove it, first of all there are dependency in firmware on each other, remove something will affect other as well, also how would merlin know what to keep and not to keep, it would be next to impossible, just think all the requests popping up and saying different things to keep or remove.

If you are after reliable network, get yourself enterprise gear with separate router, switch and access points, your network will more like appliance and less like a toy.

Last edited:
Hi Merlin,

Is it possible you can create a Lite firmware for the AX88U? Remove all the unnecessary features and just basic routing capabilities. Remove many GUI options and Remove AiMesh, Remove all advanced features, and keep it to a minimum where the random disconnects are ceased and no more RED light of DEATH. Then we can Beta test one by one certain features and add bi-weekly or monthly firmware. We really want to figure out what is wrong with this router and what features makes it disconnect the most for all users.

My 2 cents are, ASUS knew the router had AiMesh issues along with other issues and focused on making the router work for unveiling and thought many regular users would not use the AiMesh or would not have the money to buy multiple $400 dollar routers. I can seriously live with Adhoc or Access Point backhauled with Ethernet cable.

A Lite Version of the Merlin firmware stripping more than 1/2 the features and making it super simple GUI might fix the issues!!!

I seriously think we should do Lite Versions of the firmware and we appreciate all that Merlin does. Buying $400 routers and having the possibility to fix them since the manufacture is too weak would be amazing. Do we even have Donations or GoFundMe Merlin??
I like this. CUT THE FAT version. Most any OS has a lite version.

Hi Merlin,

Can't and won't happen. You have bought the wrong device. Why buy a router that has AiMesh if you don't want it?

Like Hawk says buy separates. Buy an open source router that allows you to install what you want and need.

There are plenty of choices out there Turris Omnia or Mox will give you freedom as will many other makes.

Not possible. I cannot remove what is already compiled in the closed source ports.

Can't and won't happen. You have bought the wrong device. Why buy a router that has AiMesh if you don't want it?

Like Hawk says buy separates. Buy an open source router that allows you to install what you want and need.

There are plenty of choices out there Turris Omnia or Mox will give you freedom as will many other makes.
A good approach in place of a Merlin Lite version that will not happen, is to CUT THE FAT from the Asus router. Ban anything Trend Micro, all ENTWARE s scripts etc. Use a dedicated switch, a dedicated firewall / traffic shaper such as PFSENSE / OPENSENSE in front of the Asus router, PI Hole etc. on a separate Raspberry Pi with Raspberry Lite or DIET PI. Fan or heatsink shim the router just in case. Aim for a CPU temp of 60°C and under. Easy, economical and fun. And your network will fly!

A good approach in place of a Merlin Lite version that will not happen, is to CUT THE FAT from the Asus router. Ban anything Trend Micro, all ENTWARE s scripts etc. Use a dedicated switch, a dedicated firewall / traffic shaper such as PFSENSE / OPENSENSE in front of the Asus router, PI Hole etc. on a separate Raspberry Pi with Raspberry Lite or DIET PI. Fan or heatsink shim the router just in case. Aim for a CPU temp of 60°C and under. Easy, economical and fun. And your network will fly!
I had a rpi 3b+ sitting around here, Installed IPfire on it(running) in front of the AX88U

Use a dedicated switch, a dedicated firewall / traffic shaper such as PFSENSE / OPENSENSE in front of the Asus router, PI Hole etc. on a separate Raspberry Pi with Raspberry Lite or DIET PI.

You don't need Asus router and Raspberry Pi. pfSense firewall + switch (if needed) + APs. Routing, IPS/IDS, IP/DNS blocking, DNS resolver/forwarder, QoS, VPN etc. all available in pfSense, faster and with more configuration options. No USB sticks or SD cards required.

Last edited:
If you don`t want the Asuswrt features, then why buy an Asus router? If all you want is wifi and routing, then pretty much any other router will do that.

I thought OP wants RMerlin not just to build a lite version but to debug the whole thing. From OP, "...Then we can Beta test one by one certain features and add bi-weekly or monthly firmware. We really want to figure out what is wrong with this router and what features makes it disconnect the most for all users."

That's equal to rewriting the entire firmware. Even if it was possible, it can't be called Asuswrt-Merlin anymore.

Why would you do any of that and continue to use an ASUS router ???????
As stated multiple times , you can't change the ASUS firmware closed source components .

If you don't want any of the ASUS components just get separates , simple.