What's new

ASUS DDNS hostname... already Registered

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LAST UPDATE! IT WORKS! I just rebooted my computer and the router and everything is back to normal.

Changing the name on the new router to a name to something else, registered it, then changed it back to the name I originally had on the old router worked and registered the name fine. Re-booted router and computer and all is ok.

This is good to note for others, making changes that don't seem to work usually indicates that a reboot is needed for the feature to be 'enabled' properly.

Whenever I setup a new router for a customer, the last thing I do before I leave the premises is to reboot, wait 10 minutes, and then reboot again. After I've let it settle another 5 to 10 minutes, a final quick test (internet, local network, VPN, if used) gives me the confidence to pronounce the network 'ready'.

The above may seem like a 'chore'. But I've left customers' locations where everything seemed to be working correctly (with no reboots) only to have to return to chaos and another 2 or more hours to 'fix' what a simple reboot does by itself. Lesson learned. ;)

Update: I've spoken to there support and while he put me on hold I decided to change the name on the new router to something else then changed it again to my original DDNS name which worked. Alas... I cannot connect to it via port forwarding so even though it says its registered it won't allow me to connect... hmmmm

Here's the problem since I am in the same boat. ASUS provides no way to deregister a DDNS name registered through their routers. If your router gets assigned a new WAN IP address by your internet provider, the ASUS DDNS name you picked is still assigned to original IP address. It will be that way forever (in my case 2 years now). Your only solution is to give up on it and just pick a new name.

Here's the problem since I am in the same boat. ASUS provides no way to deregister a DDNS name registered through their routers. If your router gets assigned a new WAN IP address by your internet provider, the ASUS DDNS name you picked is still assigned to original IP address. It will be that way forever (in my case 2 years now). Your only solution is to give up on it and just pick a new name.

I get back my original DDNS name after 3 years, I am no way to get support from ASUS service since they ask for the old router MAC and I don't know because I return back the old one to vender. but finally I can use the old name again, wow!

Change your router's WAN MAC for the same as your old router, set a bogus ddns name to free the old one, they switch back to your new MAC, then restore your desired DDNS.

Otherwise, no, you will have to wait for it to expire.

Hi RMerlin:
I have the same problem. But I know my old router's LAN MAC Address. How can I change my router'MAC address to release the DDNS.
I use Linux commands as below:
ifconfig eth0 down
ifconfig eth0 hw ether xxxxxxxx
ifconfig eth0 up
MAC address of all interfaces has been altered. However the LAN MAC Address hasn't been changed which is showed in http://router.asus.com/index.asp.
How can I change the WAN MAC Address? And is the LAN MAC Address same with the WAN MAC Adrress?

Last edited:
Hi RMerlin:
I have the same problem. But I know my old router's LAN MAC Address. How can I change my router'MAC address to release the DDNS.
I use Linux commands as below:
ifconfig eth0 down
ifconfig eth0 hw ether xxxxxxxx
ifconfig eth0 up
MAC address of all interfaces has been altered. However the LAN MAC Address hasn't been changed which is showed in http://router.asus.com/index.asp.
How can I change the WAN MAC Address? And is the LAN MAC Address same with the WAN MAC Adrress?

Best you contact Asus support about this. AsusDDNS relies on two information: the MAC, and a secret password that's part of the bootloader. You will probably need both to unregister a previously used DDNS.

Best to just change to a new DDNS name.

LAST UPDATE! IT WORKS! I just rebooted my computer and the router and everything is back to normal.

Changing the name on the new router to a name to something else, registered it, then changed it back to the name I originally had on the old router worked and registered the name fine. Re-booted router and computer and all is ok.

This worked for me thank you!

You will have to either free it, or wait for it to expire.

If you still have the RT-N66U, put it back, then change the DDNS name to a different one. Once the DDNS name has updated you can put back the new router. That should allow you afterwards to recover that old name on your new router.
Successful!!
Just registered to thank you. Two times (!!) if you are the same Merlin currently providing customized firmware for Asus platform.

So, I had an old Asus DSL N55U. And using the very comfortable DDNS functionality on my router with an asuscomm.com domain using it for my poems website and home surveillance (Zoneminder on Odroid).
I recently changed the old router with the new ASUS RT AC86U and the need to maintain the original xxxx.asuscomm.com domain (ranking on Google is high and I'm loyal to that domain).
I solved the issue following your suggestion. With patience.

On the old N55U, I changed the DDNS name to a different one. Once the DDNS name has been updated I waited for 1 night. The following day I was able to register the original xxxx.asuscomm.com domain on the new router.
There is also the possibility to write to ASUS (see https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1035881/ ), but I think too much time will pass to solve.

thanks best regards

Last edited:
I ran into similar problems when contacting ASUS support line -- the woman I spoke with was fixated on the old router being out of warranty. I read her the ASUS website instructions verbatim and she still didn't get it -- but did say should would take my info and escalate it.

I googled while I was on hold, found Merlin's response on page 1 and followed his advice. Old name was registered to the new router in minutes. Thanks!!

FWIW: the new router (AX88U) has a "deregister" button in the GUI now. So much easier...

This worked almost instantly for me:

First, I entered the previous router's DDNS name in the new router DDNS UI. As expected, the result was that the DDNS name was "Inactive" and the notice that it was already registered by someone else.

I switched the WAN connection to the old router, restarted the cable modem, and clicked on "Deregister" in the DDNS tab, which took effect immediately.

Then, I switched the WAN connection back to the new router, restarted the modem, and clicked on the DDNS tab, planning to enter and apply the same name again. Instead, the DDNS name had automatically already been marked as "Active" with a notice that it had been successful. All that was left to do was to apply a Let's Encrypt certificate.

This worked almost instantly for me:

First, I entered the previous router's DDNS name in the new router DDNS UI. As expected, the result was that the DDNS name was "Inactive" and the notice that it was already registered by someone else.

I switched the WAN connection to the old router, restarted the cable modem, and clicked on "Deregister" in the DDNS tab, which took effect immediately.

Then, I switched the WAN connection back to the new router, restarted the modem, and clicked on the DDNS tab, planning to enter and apply the same name again. Instead, the DDNS name had automatically already been marked as "Active" with a notice that it had been successful. All that was left to do was to apply a Let's Encrypt certificate.
This only works if you still have the old router. My old router no longer boot, got an exchange, I can use the API to update the DDNS using the old Mac and Pin data but I can't register.

I already contacted support and got mine deregistered but of out curiosity, does anyone knows what is the URL for the new "deregister" button? I've tried looking in the source but couldn't figure it out aside from these two below:

Also IPv6 DDNS doesn't seems to work in the GUI but it works when I append my IPv6 to the update URL above i.e '&myipv6='. I got the details from https://github.com/BigNerd95/ASUSddns/blob/master/ASUSddns.sh

This only works if you still have the old router. My old router no longer boot, got an exchange, I can use the API to update the DDNS using the old Mac and Pin data but I can't register.

I already contacted support and got mine deregistered but of out curiosity, does anyone knows what is the URL for the new "deregister" button? I've tried looking in the source but couldn't figure it out aside from these two below:
I just deregistered an old ASUSCOMM.COM DDNS name I had registered a couple years ago on my old AC68U router. You need to know:
  1. DDNS Hostname (hostname)
  2. WAN MAC address of old router (username)
  3. Secret code (nvram get secret_code)/ WPS PIN of old router (password)
Fortunately, I had an nvram export of the old router to get all 3 values from, since the actual device is with a family member.
Code:
cat > /etc/inadyn.conf <<EOF
provider unregister@asus.com {
hostname = yourddnshost.asuscomm.com
username = '38:2C:4A:00:11:22'
password = '12345678'
}
iterations = 1
iface = eth0
ca-trust-file = /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt
secure-ssl = false
EOF

/usr/sbin/inadyn -1 -l debug

Worked like a charm even with my current AC86U in AP mode.
Code:
Dec 19 19:25:22 inadyn[18105]: In-a-dyn version 2.8.1 -- Dynamic DNS update client.
Dec 19 19:25:22 inadyn[18105]: Update forced for alias yourddnshost.asuscomm.com, new IP# 192.168.1.2
Dec 19 19:25:22 inadyn[18105]: do request_unregister
Dec 19 19:25:22 inadyn[18105]: unregister_request<GET /ddns/register.jsp?hostname=yourddnshost.asuscomm.com&action=unregister HTTP/1.0^M Authorization: Basic MzgyQzRBOTE4Qzc4OkBCRkY0NUEwNERFOTJFQkE1REEzNjZCQjMzQUM5MTg0^M Host: ns1.asuscomm.com^M User-Agent: inadyn/2.8.1 https://github.com/troglobit/inadyn/issues^M ^M >
Dec 19 19:25:22 inadyn[18105]: [response_register]HTTP/1.1 200 OK^M Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 00:25:22 GMT^M Server: Apache^M Content-Length: 0^M Connection: close^M Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8^M ^M
Dec 19 19:25:22 inadyn[18105]: Updating cache for yourddnshost.asuscomm.com
I got the syntax from the services.c file.

Last edited:
I just deregistered an old ASUSCOMM.COM DDNS name I had registered a couple years ago on my old AC68U router.
I`m surprised they didn`t free it up due to extended inactivity.

I`m surprised they didn`t free it up due to extended inactivity.
I was surprised too, and this thread finally got me to take some action since it was pointing to a very old ISP address. As soon as it unregistered, it was gone (NXDOMAIN) once the TTL expired.

Thank you Dave!

This saved me from connecting my AC86U once more to transfer the DDNS host name to my new GT-AX6000 (could now do everything on the new router).

hi guys
i lost(forgot) my host name for ddns, i sent an email to asus support for unregistering that and they said that we need your hostname,and now i am waiting for higher support team to send me email.
and i found out that maybe i can find hostname in logs(nvram),but unfortunately i formatted the usb flash 1 month ago
can i find the registered hostname in somewhere else in my own router files ?
tnx for your time
ax86u
latest version of asus merlin

Last edited: