What's new

Asus DSL-AC68U - can't connect W10 machine to Samba Share

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

QueenWyrm

New Around Here
Hi all.

I'm tearing my hair out here. I can connect just fine to the media and FTP servers on my AC68U, but when I try to connect to the router via network in Windows Explorer I get the following error message;

"\\SERVERNAME is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions

The stub received bad data"

I can connect with no issues if I enable "guest login" in the Asus firmware.

I can access the SMB network drive via VLC for Android just fine.

I have enabled SMB 1.0/CIFS Automatic Removal and Client in Windows.

Trying to map a network drive via browse gives the same error message above. Putting the address in manually prompts for login credentials, then after they're entered, brings a different error message saying the network path isn't found.

Seems the problem lies with Windows, but I've no idea how to proceed.

Managed to suss it I think... It turns out that if you create a single folder on the drive with everything in it, you can then map that as a network drive. No idea why Windows won't let me map the drive, but there it is.

Managed to suss it I think... It turns out that if you create a single folder on the drive with everything in it, you can then map that as a network drive. No idea why Windows won't let me map the drive, but there it is.
Ah, that makes sense. With guest login enabled you can share the entire drive from the root down. With guest login disabled you can't do that, you have to create folders in the root and share each of them individually.

Ah, that makes sense. With guest login enabled you can share the entire drive from the root down. With guest login disabled you can't do that, you have to create folders in the root and share each of them individually.

See, at no point in Asus' instructions (manual or website) does it say anything of the sort. It works as intended with VLC/Android. Annoying but glad I can get around it!

Hi ive got the same issue. I created a single folder but keep getting the same message, can you help me please many thanks.