What's new

Asus DSL-AC68U Gaming QoS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Taylordrift21

Occasional Visitor
Hey guys, I previously put up post about the bandwidth limiter etc but I didn't really get the answer I was looking for (even though I did try some recommended settings) but I am still not happy with the performance. I have a ASUS DSL-AC68U router running 384.12_gnuton1. I will try and keep this short.

I have an Xbox one which is connected to my router via ethernet and my xbox has a static IP. Ports are forwarded for the xbox. UPnP is disabled. Since getting this router around 3-4 weeks ago my latency on the xbox network statistics has went up (not sure if that matters does it?) . My main games I play is Black ops 4 and Call of duty Infinite Warfare. I feel the bullet reg isn't great more so on black ops 4.

My download speed is roughly 55mbps and upload is 19mbps. Current router settings is using bandwidth limiter and fq_codel and my xbox set to highest priority. Reason for using this so far is other wireless devices in my house (netflix) hogging my bandwidth causing in game lag. Even when no one is using the internet I don't lag but I still feel something isn't right when gaming. I have tried adjusting settings as freshJR has recommended on another post in terms of adjusting upload bandwidth and download bandwidth priority but nothing has worked so far.

I would like to ask anyone else who likes to play online competitive games like me have any working solutions towards using QoS and most importantly notices a difference in online game play (bullet reg).

Thanks

Are you located in UK? If so, the DSL-AC68U is probably the worst router to use on a VDSL2 (FTTC) line......

Hey guys, I previously put up post about the bandwidth limiter etc but I didn't really get the answer I was looking for (even though I did try some recommended settings) but I am still not happy with the performance. I have a ASUS DSL-AC68U router running 384.12_gnuton1. I will try and keep this short.

I have an Xbox one which is connected to my router via ethernet and my xbox has a static IP. Ports are forwarded for the xbox. UPnP is disabled. Since getting this router around 3-4 weeks ago my latency on the xbox network statistics has went up (not sure if that matters does it?) . My main games I play is Black ops 4 and Call of duty Infinite Warfare. I feel the bullet reg isn't great more so on black ops 4.

My download speed is roughly 55mbps and upload is 19mbps. Current router settings is using bandwidth limiter and fq_codel and my xbox set to highest priority. Reason for using this so far is other wireless devices in my house (netflix) hogging my bandwidth causing in game lag. Even when no one is using the internet I don't lag but I still feel something isn't right when gaming. I have tried adjusting settings as freshJR has recommended on another post in terms of adjusting upload bandwidth and download bandwidth priority but nothing has worked so far.

I would like to ask anyone else who likes to play online competitive games like me have any working solutions towards using QoS and most importantly notices a difference in online game play (bullet reg).

Thanks
You should be using upnp on Xbox rather than a port forwarding because the games have a tendency to change used ports with updates, I'd suggest using the fresh jr qos script and configuring it as per the instructions 95% of speed test bandwith values for both ups and down.

Also with per packet overhead if it's ppoe use VDSL2 pppoe or if not VDSL2 ipoe, pm if your ISP uses a vlan I might be able to help you tweak it further.

I'm using Xbox one x I Play Black ops 4 battlefield V and one also battlefront 2 andnd a lot of Halo also.

Here is the link to the fresh jr qos script
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...and-inner-workings.36836/page-183#post-512106

Are you located in UK? If so, the DSL-AC68U is probably the worst router to use on a VDSL2 (FTTC) line......

Yeah I am in the UK, which router would you suggest? Not sure if I want to spend more money on a new router though at the moment anyway. As there is still some tweaking I can do with the one I have. Could you just briefly explain why the router I have doesn’t suit my line? Or suggest an alternative to use along side my router. For example buy a modem only and run my router from that? Thanks for your reply.

You should be using upnp on Xbox rather than a port forwarding because the games have a tendency to change used ports with updates, I'd suggest using the fresh jr qos script and configuring it as per the instructions 95% of speed test bandwith values for both ups and down.

Also with per packet overhead if it's ppoe use VDSL2 pppoe or if not VDSL2 ipoe, pm if your ISP uses a vlan I might be able to help you tweak it further.

I'm using Xbox one x I Play Black ops 4 battlefield V and one also battlefront 2 andnd a lot of Halo also.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...and-inner-workings.36836/page-183#post-512106

Thanks for your reply, so do you reckon I should turn my port forwarding off, then turn my UPNP back on? You have a good point there actually as I am running fresh jr QoS script and on the section where you can see which ports are being used and which container file it is, ie untracked, or gaming I did notice quite a few ports that had been used that weren’t in my port forwarding. So I will try that.

In regards to wan packet overhead, which ever one I select then apply it doesn’t show? It just says select one in the little box. Is that okay or does it need to show in the box all the time? When I get home later I will send a screenshot of my bandwidth as I did do as it said on the instructions, may even have it set lower than 95%. Back to the port forwarding, with having my upnp disabled would that affect bullet reg in black ops 4? And if a player sees me before I see them kind of thing?
Thanks mate.

Yeah I am in the UK, which router would you suggest? Not sure if I want to spend more money on a new router though at the moment anyway. As there is still some tweaking I can do with the one I have. Could you just briefly explain why the router I have doesn’t suit my line? Or suggest an alternative to use along side my router. For example buy a modem only and run my router from that? Thanks for your reply.
Thanks. The DSL-AC68U uses a Mediatek DSL chipset which is extremely unstable on UK FTTC lines, sooner or later it will almost certainly cause the DLM to kick in and band (cap) your line, if it hasn't already done so. If you're happy to spend money on a new router & want to stick with Asus, go for the DSL-AC88U as this uses a Broadcom DSL chipset & is fairly stable. Otherwise put the DSL-AC68U in router only mode (ie switch off the DSL component) and buy a cheap HG612 modem on ebay for £10-£20 to use as a VDSL modem with the DSL-AC68U.

Well worth reading this thread..probably back to front to save time lol
https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14399.0.html

Thanks. The DSL-AC68U uses a Mediatek DSL chipset which is extremely unstable on UK FTTC lines, sooner or later it will almost certainly cause the DLM to kick in and band (cap) your line, if it hasn't already done so. If you're happy to spend money on a new router & want to stick with Asus, go for the DSL-AC88U as this uses a Broadcom DSL chipset & is fairly stable. Otherwise put the DSL-AC68U in router only mode (ie switch off the DSL component) and buy a cheap HG612 modem on ebay for £10-£20 to use as a VDSL modem with the DSL-AC68U.

Well worth reading this thread..probably back to front to save time lol
https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14399.0.html

Thanks psychopomp1 for the heads up. So yeah I basically looked further into the DLM meaning and just grasping what it does. Believe it or not my ISP is Plusnet and the following explanation of DLM was on their forum/page https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/FTTC-DLM-What-it-is-How-it-works/ba-p/1322799

I don't want to go off topic too much, when I signed up to plusnet many years ago for fiber broadband and the said modem you recommended was the one they provided along with a router and back then I had 76mbps download then but since changing ISP provider in between then I done away with the modem because of different provider's router. Anyway since changing back with plusnet around 2 months ago, I have never had the same download speed not sure if that's their end though. Things change I suppose. I will try find the modem over the weekend. If not would any modem (only) work on my line? The thing is I am not sure I will find it as its been 3 years since I removed it and I can't remember if I binned it, I will look anyway just in case, not often I throw much away. lol

Yeah you can use pretty much any vdsl2 modem with plusnet FTTC so no issues there.

Yeah you can use pretty much any vdsl2 modem with plusnet FTTC so no issues there.

Hey psychopomp1, I looked more into what you were saying about using a standalone modem as my Asus DSL-AC68U modem chipset (Mediatek) isn't stable with my line. So bought a TP-Link W8870 Modem/Router and configured it to be used as a modem only and use my Asus as a router only. I did do research on the TP-Link modem and it uses a broadcom chipset which I now know is stable for my line Anyway I have noticed my download speed increasing and when on my Xbox one I have noticed the latency going down so I must say I am pretty happy so far in that respect so thanks again for the heads up there, I have only had it 2 days so far, with hope after another few days my line will be completely stable. All I need to do now is configure my QoS settings properly and I will be a happy guy.

Hey Vexira, as I said before I am running fresh jr qos script. At the moment everything is untouched, I have set it on adaptive qos, using fq codel is that correct? Or should I set it to traditional qos? Here I have a couple of screenshots of the settings so far and hoping you can point me in the right direction. I am just looking to get the gaming files to be on the top of the priority along with bandwidth. Because I am using adaptive qos I don't get to select my bandwidth for upload or download, does that matter much? Anyway I hope you can help me further I just want to make sure I have the best connection available in regards to playing B04 on xbox. Do I need to change anything in the Iptable as well? Thanks
QoS_-_Classification_-_2019-08-31_15.21.07.png
QoS_-_Classification_-_2019-08-31_15.30.48.png

@Vexira, for your gaming, I'm sure you're playing "wired" correct? If you're wired, would still recommend using FreshJr scripts? I used the scripts in the past when my xbox was connected wireless. However, I recently got it wired and recently turn off adaptive QoS. My advertise comcast speeds are 250/10 mpbs but my actual speeds average around 280/9mbps. I've been gaming with QoS off, and I haven't noticed any lag since the xbox is now wired connected. Another reason I'm not using the script and QOS is that I also enabled IPV6 to take advantage since comcast allows IPV6 and the xbox recommends it as well. FreshJr posted that enabling IPV6 in the router while using with his script my cause issues rather than help. Do you see any benefits in using adaptive QoS to a "wired" gaming system? Finally, when using the script, have you enabled the "gaming" option to where you assigned a static IP address to your console, or are you using default script without any modification?

Last edited:
@Vexira, for your gaming, I'm sure you're playing "wired" correct? If you're wired, would still recommend using FreshJr scripts? I used the scripts in the past when my xbox was connected wireless. However, I recently got it wired and recently turn off adaptive QoS. My advertise comcast speeds are 250/10 mpbs but my actual speeds average around 280/9mbps. I've been gaming with QoS off, and I haven't noticed any lag since the xbox is now wired connected. Another reason I'm not using the script and QOS is that I also enabled IPV6 to take advantage since comcast allows IPV6 and the xbox recommends it as well. FreshJr posted that enabling IPV6 in the router while using with his script my cause issues rather than help. Do you see any benefits in using adaptive QoS to a "wired" gaming system? Finally, when using the script, have you enabled the "gaming" option to where you assigned a static IP address to your console, or are you using default script without any modification?
im running a sort of hybrid network as per say, i just run the script with 95% bandwith an i set my per packet overhead.
and id still recommend it if useing a wired connection i just set up proities as he wrote to do so, in reagrds to ipv6 he was working on it last i checked, not sure whats happening now.

Hey Vexira, as I said before I am running fresh jr qos script. At the moment everything is untouched, I have set it on adaptive qos, using fq codel is that correct? Or should I set it to traditional qos? Here I have a couple of screenshots of the settings so far and hoping you can point me in the right direction. I am just looking to get the gaming files to be on the top of the priority along with bandwidth. Because I am using adaptive qos I don't get to select my bandwidth for upload or download, does that matter much? Anyway I hope you can help me further I just want to make sure I have the best connection available in regards to playing B04 on xbox. Do I need to change anything in the Iptable as well? Thanks
View attachment 19199 View attachment 19200
i have mine set as freshjr said to with voip at the top and gaming after it then i set it to 95% bandwith and i set my per packet overhead and i also am using FQ-Codel.

i have mine set as freshjr said to with voip at the top and gaming after it then i set it to 95% bandwith and i set my per packet overhead and i also am using FQ-Codel.

@Vexira Sorry just seen your message, Okay I will do as you said and give it a try. For the per packet overhead, I have set it on PPPoE VDSL 27 atm. Do I need to check the ATM box? I am also using my DSL-AC68U as a router only and using a separate modem so should be per packet overhead be as I have set? Thanks

@Vexira Sorry just seen your message, Okay I will do as you said and give it a try. For the per packet overhead, I have set it on PPPoE VDSL 27 atm. Do I need to check the ATM box? I am also using my DSL-AC68U as a router only and using a separate modem so should be per packet overhead be as I have set? Thanks
It should be fine as set, don't tick atm since that's only need for ADSL connections.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!