What's new

Asus dsl-ac68u merlin firmware?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sharpest.Tool

New Around Here
ASUS DSL-AC68U - Extra features?

This may be a stupid question? I just bought an Asus dsl-ac68u modem router. Can I load the asuswrt-merlin RT-ac68u firmware onto it?

Last edited:
No, it's not supported.

DSL-AC68U Quota limit settings

That's a shame I was hoping to set some monthly quota limits for some older family members and perhaps put some parental filtering on some younger members devices via the router.
I am still waiting on the modem/router to be delivered in next few days to have a better look at its features. Does anyone have any ideas how I could achieve what I would like to do?

Use opendns, they have filtering options. Sign up.for free account.
Enter DNS ip's into your router.
On the opendns site under your account, you can select filters. But everyone will be affected by the filters you set up.

As far as monthly quota. Its DSL, I doubt any one can download entire internet in a month. You would need gigabit speed to do so.

The best filter you will ever find, will come from you as a parent. Don't rely on hardware to do your job for you, because there are ways around parenting filters on consumer products. A widely used free software, will go around even commercial filters and wirewalls. You will find this software even on android app store.

Last edited:
I will give Open DNS a try. I did read that it may not be very good in Australia and slow down the speed of the network. I'm not sure what you mean by the last part regarding quota. We have a capped 200gb plan which ran out last month due to my elder son downloading games. I was hoping to limit him to 75gb per month.

Last edited:
I will give Open DNS a try. I did read that it may not be very good in Australia and slow down the speed of the network. I'm not sure what you mean by the last part regarding quota. We have a capped 200gb plan which ran out last month due to my elder son downloading games. I was hoping to limit him to 75gb per month.

I added additional info to my last post.

I wont try to tell you how to be a parent, but lay down the law like our parents did in the old days and you won't have the need for parental controlled software.

Parenting is a challenge and I guess we all want to trust our children to be doing the right thing with there iPods in the confines of their bedrooms but temptation affects all humans.
I am hoping the simple statement that we have a new router that logs internet traffic, so make sure you're all doing the right thing should be enough.

Last edited:
RMerlin
Your ASUSWRT merlin firmware looks great with the extra features. Is there any chance of you modifying it so that it can run on the ASUS DSL-AC68u?

RMerlin
Your ASUSWRT merlin firmware looks great with the extra features. Is there any chance of you modifying it so that it can run on the ASUS DSL-AC68u?

I have no plan to support the DSL-AC68U (or any other DSL model).

Been thinking about this and the Router has different firmware for the modem section. Would you need to support the DSL piece? Wouldn't the firmware be the same for the AC68U entity whether or not there was a DSL front end? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I would like to test my logic. Cheers

Been thinking about this and the Router has different firmware for the modem section. Would you need to support the DSL piece? Wouldn't the firmware be the same for the AC68U entity whether or not there was a DSL front end? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I would like to test my logic. Cheers

I know this is a two year old post, but did you ever find a solution to this? - i.e. Merlin on the DSL-AC68U? - It would be such a bonus. For those of us who still suffer under DSL regimes, the DSL-AC68U is one of the few all-in-one modem / router devices to include a VPN client, but it would be such a win to have the added Merlin functionality.

I know this is a two year old post, but did you ever find a solution to this? - i.e. Merlin on the DSL-AC68U? - It would be such a bonus. For those of us who still suffer under DSL regimes, the DSL-AC68U is one of the few all-in-one modem / router devices to include a VPN client, but it would be such a win to have the added Merlin functionality.

Answered many times by RMerlin himself already: NO support planned for any combination DSL/router (probably ever).

Searching the forum or with google and 'site:snbforums.com' at the end of your query would have given you this answer is less than a second of your time. ;)

Understand and accepted (apparently because DSL components are not open source).

Is it maybe possible to install the RT-AC68U firmware in DSL-AC68U router if I can live with losing the DSL capability (I am using it on a cable modem anyway).

And if I simply try and it fails, will I be able to recover with the reset button on the back of the router?

Understand and accepted (apparently because DSL components are not open source).

Is it maybe possible to install the RT-AC68U firmware in DSL-AC68U router if I can live with losing the DSL capability (I am using it on a cable modem anyway).

And if I simply try and it fails, will I be able to recover with the reset button on the back of the router?

You would do this at your own risk. Nobody here has attempted it (that I have read about) and the most likely case would be to brick the router.

The DSL capability isn't something that was tacked on, it is part of the DSL-AC68U at it's core.

Proceed with caution.

You would do this at your own risk. Nobody here has attempted it (that I have read about) and the most likely case would be to brick the router.

The DSL capability isn't something that was tacked on, it is part of the DSL-AC68U at it's core.

Proceed with caution.

"Most likely" is a bit too likely for my liking - so I won't try unless I can be confident that recovery will be possible...

Thanks a lot for getting back though.

"Most likely" is a bit too likely for my liking - so I won't try unless I can be confident that recovery will be possible...

Thanks a lot for getting back though.

Most likely recovery is 'possible' for a few. But unless you have RMerlin-like skills (and tools), it is something that would remain in the realm of 'impossible' (at least for me). :)

As its a new device you might get away with getting a replacement if it breaks for no reason :p

i wouldnt try it, i have asked Rmerlin in the past about a firmware version for the dsk 68u and every time was a no no :D

hence why i eventually upgraded to the RT_AC88U :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!