What's new

Asus GT-AC2900 (owners)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutch Schaefer

New Around Here
Hi

I'm planning to buy that router for a node Ai Mesh or for an access point

I know some reviewers said the range was bad versus the RT-AC86u, does the new firmware have corrected this ?

Why this router?i know it don't support merlin but i could have a deal on it and it has 160 mhz

Thanks

No RMerlin, no deal! :D

Hi

I know some reviewers said the range was bad versus the RT-AC86u, does the new firmware have corrected this ?

Why this router?i know it don't support merlin but i could have a deal on it and it has 160 mhz

Thanks

You could read a review,

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/9220/asus-rog-rapture-gt-ac2900-wireless-router-review/index5.html

They say it is a great router and show proper tests and comparisons.

Or you believe this .....

https://www.techspot.com/products/routers/asus-gt-ac2900-rog-rapture.203858/

Where you get ridiculous comments like ...

" Editors Didn't Like : 802.11ac performance drops off fast beyond 10m"

:rolleyes: It's Wireless AC , why are you surprised performance drops off at distances over 10 meters ?

Personally I ignore all of these so called Ex Spurts , what matters is how a router performs in the environment that you use it in.

Hi

Thanks

I find that due to FCC regulations the distance of the signal is similar and the bandwidth is different by model. If you want a challenge flash some TM 1900s into 68Us or just buy the 68U for around $120. I use 4 routers in my house. The 88U as a base, 2 TM 1900s to 68Us for Mesh, and one flashed TM 1900 to 68U as a media bridge so an older PS4 can get fiber speeds from the 5 GHz Wifi to Ethernet. Use Merlin with all the Lonely Coder Bells and whistles running on a SSD extended away from the device. I've added cooling to everything.
AIMESH.jpg

I find that due to FCC regulations the distance of the signal is similar and the bandwidth is different by model. If you want a challenge flash some TM 1900s into 68Us or just buy the 68U for around $120. I use 4 routers in my house. The 88U as a base, 2 TM 1900s to 68Us for Mesh, and one flashed TM 1900 to 68U as a media bridge so an older PS4 can get fiber speeds from the 5 GHz Wifi to Ethernet. Use Merlin with all the Lonely Coder Bells and whistles running on a SSD extended away from the device. I've added cooling to everything.
View attachment 23503

Ignore this advice which suggests illegal activity. REPORTED.

Flashing ASUS firmware on a TM-AC1900 is illegal use of ASUS' intellectual property. SNBForum's policy is to not allow discussion of how to do this. Forum members will generally not answer questions about problems with converted routers.

Ignore this advice which suggests illegal activity. REPORTED.
The TM 1900 says ASUS right on the back of it so if it takes ASUS firmware it is not illegal. But AndreiV if you think you have proof lets see it! PS Reported

I suggest you read the stickies in the Merlin forum.

A TM1900 is a router supplied under a specific licence to TMobile for use by their customers only. It is not licensed to use any other firmware and is not supported or guaranteed by ASUS.

Using Asus or Merlin firmware on any other device is ILLEGAL as you are breaking copyright and license agreements from other companies.

Read the forum before posting.

As posted by Merlin :

Since people can't read existing forum posts, the FAQ, or the Supported Device list...
That model is NOT supported. It never was, and it's even less supported since Asus is now enforcing stricter model validation on the RT-AC68U series at flash time. It doesn't matter whether you converted it, hacked it, repainted it, or whatever. Stop asking on the forums for help flashing your RT-AC68U when you actually have a TM-AC1900 - it's NOT supported, period.

Asuswrt-Merlin contains numerous proprietary components that are only licensed for legal use on original Asus devices. These include (but are not limited to) components from Asus themselves, Broadcom, Trend Micro and Tuxera. Using any of these components on devices for which they haven't been licensed for is ILLEGAL.

The Asuswrt-Merlin developers will take no responsibility for license violation made by third party or end-users running that software on a non-approved Asus device. Any discussion on these forums about such illegal forks will be deleted.

The forum owner has already explained this for you :

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-gt-ac2900-owners.63649/#post-584723

Flashing ASUS firmware on a TM-AC1900 is illegal use of ASUS' intellectual property. SNBForum's policy is to not allow discussion of how to do this.

The TM 1900 says ASUS right on the back of it so if it takes ASUS firmware it is not illegal. But AndreiV if you think you have proof lets see it! PS Reported

The issue is not with Asus. The issue is Trend Microsystems only licenced their products for use on specific ASUS models - not a blanket deal.

Unfortunately, the TM 1900 is one of those models that is not under that licence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!