What's new

ASUS GT-AC5300 Excessive bufferbloat

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ASUS GT-AC5300 Excessive bufferbloat how can i fix this
Advise as to the circumstances that led you to conclude bufferbloat. Post your test results http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest . Reference material: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bufferbloat .
Here are my results:
upload_2018-10-14_14-2-29.png

I now have a "D" for bufferbloat. My maximum WiFi speed is 1.95 Gbps but my Mac says maximum is 1.3 Gbps. My ISP connection speed is 200/10 Mbps though I consistently get slightly higher speeds. However, because my ISP rate is only 12% that of my WiFi rate, data has to be buffered in the router. The only way to prevent bufferbloat is to increase my ISP rate to match WiFi or lower the WiFi rate to match my ISP.

Bufferbloat impacts latency and increased latency mostly impacts VoIP (voice over IP). Which leads me back to the question; What's the issue that you are experiencing?

Packet loss excessive jitter ,high ping pages taking time to load spikes just to name a few

Packet loss
Upload, download, or both?
excessive jitter
Probable bufferbloat issue.
high ping
Today, routers between you and the destination IP address can be configured such that pings have a lower priority which would inflate ping times. Ping is a useful network tool to determine reachability though routers can be configured not to respond too.
pages taking time to load
That is an inbound data issue and not due to bufferbloat at your end but it could be at the point of origin or somewhere between. Additionally, it could be related to the performance of the device and app receiving the data.

Are you a single user on this AC5300 or are there others? Additionally, do the symptoms vary depending on time of day. For me, I am probably in a good neighborhood wherein my neighbors are not impacting my connection. My ISP is Spectrum and they don't throttle the bandwidth as yet, I know ATT does but not sure about ComCast?

Don't be leave Comcast dose , I have quite a few on my network ,2 ps4 , 5 desktop ipads , phones but they all connect but this is happing when i'm the only one on the network when that last test was done I was the only one on the net

I have been drilling down through some websites and found this one; www.bufferbloat.net/projects/bloat/wiki/What_can_I_do_about_Bufferbloat/
Within that information they are suggesting to move to a firmware that supports "Smart Queue Management". I'll let you explore that.

Would I be correct to say that you have explored tuning with QoS?

I am going to stream some video for the evening so my next reply may not be for 12 hours.

A friend of mine has Comcast service and he found an article that eludes to the fact that all residential ISP throttle bandwidth when a neighborhood infrastructure is experiencing congestion. Like the airlines, ISP will overbook a neighborhood infrastructure in terms of offering customers bandwidth. The throttling is accomplished with various queuing techniques.

ASUS GT-AC5300 Excessive bufferbloat how can i fix this
Hi!
Maybe its too late and you have already fixed this, but i had a high bufferbloat with the GT too and i did this. I set the download speed in QOS at about 90%, and my upload at about 100%.So instead to minimize the upload QOS settings in the upload i raised it , or put it at least at 100% from my isp. Hope it works. Now i have a bufferbloat A rating at dsl reports.Before it was B or C.

Hi!
Maybe its too late and you have already fixed this, but i had a high bufferbloat with the GT too and i did this. I set the download speed in QOS at about 90%, and my upload at about 100%.So instead to minimize the upload QOS settings in the upload i raised it , or put it at least at 100% from my isp. Hope it works. Now i have a bufferbloat A rating at dsl reports.Before it was B or C.

Also, after you do this what i explained do a router restart over the webinterface button.Now ihave a A+. :)

Hi!
I'm not sure what you mean. I've tried everything even flached software in order to use fq codel since CAKE is not available. And my bufferbloat still killing my game experience... Any help would be appreciated

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!