What's new

ASUS GT-AX11000 hardware failure

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

davidbadger

New Around Here
I've been running ASUS routers for years, and although I'm not expert I've always liked them as I've always been able to recover them from any problem I have had along the way. The hardware has always been reliable which is why I grew into the AiMesh network approach as I moved house and just need more coverage.

For the last 6 months I've been using a GT-AX11000 that I sourced of ebay for £300 as my central router with 3x XT8s running off it as a AIMesh system.
Given the old think walls in my house I was running two of the XT8s using a wired backhaul.

Other than a few firmware updates that are not always as simple as they should be all has been well with the GT-AX11000 router running a daily reboot.
The last firmware upgrade was over a week ago and everything has seemed ok for the last week.

Untill yesterday, when I woke up to no wifi/internet and found the GT-AX11000 doing a very good impression of a pretty brick. No noise was coming from it but it was still rotating through the colour on the light on top of the router. I've since tried everything from a normal reset, to a hardware reset, to a firmware restoration. Nothing seemed to make a different other than the firmware restoration which after appearing to work on the utility seems to have made the router even more dead.

Given that I bought this second hand from ebay I'm assuming the warranty is null. I certainly don't seem to be able to register for the warranty on the ASUS website.

Can anyone give me an idea if this is salvageable? Are these routers known to fail? Is a hardware (assuming its hardware) fix possible? Could it have over heated, in a cool room with thin windows in middle of a UK winter? Should I have guessed the many many glowing reviews I have read on this router before buying was always too good to have been true.

Thanks for the advice but I have tried both approaches and other than the flashing light there is no signs of life.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!