What's new

ASUS GT-AX11000 - issues after firmware update to 3.0.0.4.386.43129

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tastle

Occasional Visitor
Two weeks ago, I upgraded from an ASUS RT-N56U to an ASUS GT-AX11000. Everything went smoothly.

Last night I updated the ASUS GT-AX11000 to 3.0.0.4.386.43129 and I noticed a few things:
  1. I cannot connect to the Internet. It shows both my WAN and LAN ports connected at 1 Gb, but that's it.
  2. It cannot resolve my local DNS servers. When I try to navigate to my internally named devices, it won't resolve their names to IPs. It normally points to my pihole, but I swapped that for my other primary / secondary DNS that I have behind it... no luck either.
The UX seems fine, and it shows the version that I updated to. I've rebooted it, power cycled it and no observable changes.

This morning I decided to just swap it out with my ASUS RT-N56U and everything just worked like it should, the same as the AX11000 worked before the firmware update.

Any thoughts?

So I've all but confirmed there is a bug in the latest firmware.

DEFECTIVE VERSION: 3.0.0.4.386_43129
LAST KNOWN GOOD VERSION: 3.0.0.4.386_41700

I've upgraded and downgraded several times and it is reproduceable. What a waste of several hours of my life...

I've upgraded and downgraded several times and it is reproduceable. What a waste of several hours of my life...
Nope. Not a bug.
You have the IP address of the Pi-Hole in WAN/DNS Server 1 and or 2. The Pi-Hile IP address needs to go in LAN/DHCP Server/DNS Server. If you had it the other way you were lucky it worked. WAN/DNS Server 1 and 2 need to be IP addresses of upstream resolvers to allow the router to get the time when it boots.

It's a bug.

DNS is just a side issue. I completely eliminated it from the configuration and it didn't change a thing. I have no problem digging any of my local DNS to get both local and remote IPs for host names.

If you didn't reset the new router to factory defaults in your testing above, after flashing the firmware you want to use on it, you haven't tested fully.

If this was truly a bug, there would be much more buzz about it on these and other forums.

If you didn't reset the new router to factory defaults in your testing above, after flashing the firmware you want to use on it, you haven't tested fully.

If this was truly a bug, there would be much more buzz about it on these and other forums.
I don't know what to tell you. I got a message from you and ASUS Tech Support at the same time I got notification of your reply. They've identified the issue and are sending me a new firmware to test out.

So either you're right, or they are.

I'm not sure why it's affecting my device, but I'd happily exchange it for yours if it's working ;)

Or, both me and Asus is right.

After flashing a new firmware, reset to factory defaults for best results.

I did reset to factory defaults after flashing to the new firmware. When it didn't work, that's the first thing I did. But alas...

And how was the router set up afterward?

Btw, I'm running a pair of RT-AX86U's myself.

And how was the router set up afterward?

Btw, I'm running a pair of RT-AX86U's myself.

It's a pretty simple setup. I'm surprised I'm still fighting this. Asus had me upgrade again and like clockwork... bam... Internet is disconnected. I just finished my last round of a fresh upgrade, collecting debug logs (they fail to send) and providing them to support. They can see something is wrong, but haven't nailed it down yet.

All I have set up on my router is:
* WAN, which points to my Xplornet CPE (antenna)
* DHCP
* DNS (disabled for now)
* Parental (disabled for now)
* Guest network

Then I downgrade everything and it instantly comes to life.

I'm still not sure of the 'how' you're setting up the router after flashing the firmware you want to use.

The following link's suggestions can help get your router(s) to a good/known state.

Fully Reset Router and Network

Key points:
  • Flash the firmware you want to use/test first.
  • Reset to factory defaults.
  • Do not 'blindly' use any old settings that worked 'once upon a time'.
  • Use the suggestions in the following link as a baseline for the defaults that are known to work for most (best practices).
Best Practice Update/Setup Router/AiMesh Node(s) 2021

It's a pretty simple setup. I'm surprised I'm still fighting this. Asus had me upgrade again and like clockwork... bam... Internet is disconnected. I just finished my last round of a fresh upgrade, collecting debug logs (they fail to send) and providing them to support. They can see something is wrong, but haven't nailed it down yet.

All I have set up on my router is:
* WAN, which points to my Xplornet CPE (antenna)
* DHCP
* DNS (disabled for now)
* Parental (disabled for now)
* Guest network

Then I downgrade everything and it instantly comes to life.
I'm running RMerlin latest fw on my GT-AX11000 without any issues. Have you consider running the best fw (Asuswrt-Merlin) for our routers?

Same issue here...did the FW update, no internet access. Factory reset, no bueno. I know all about that "best practice" list.

I've ran into an issue in the past and was on 384_5979 for over a year. The firmware after that changed the way they handled WAN access and it screwed up my fiber speeds drastically as long as introduced buffer bloat and an outrageous ping deviation. A year of headache, emails between Tony Han and his Executive Liaison, and finally working with their overseas support w/ remote access to a sandboxed VM connected to my router, and the issue was fixed.

I, too, ended up rolling back to 41700. I hope this isn't another year of headache.

I'm running RMerlin latest fw on my GT-AX11000 without any issues. Have you consider running the best fw (Asuswrt-Merlin) for our routers?
I'm planned to get my AX11000 later this/next week (so I hope) and am really not sure if I better run Merlin or stock on it.
As you are running Merlin can you share your insights - is it faster/more stable compared to stock?
Am I right to assume that all ROG related features aren't working on Merlin? Is that an major downside?

I'm planned to get my AX11000 later this/next week (so I hope) and am really not sure if I better run Merlin or stock on it.
As you are running Merlin can you share your insights - is it faster/more stable compared to stock?
Am I right to assume that all ROG related features aren't working on Merlin? Is that an major downside?
The ROG features missing in RMerlin fw is something I don't miss at all.

For me, the asus-wrt merlin fw has more to offer than stock. At a minimum, it offers multiple script add-ons that add security (Diversion/Skynet) and functionality (i.e. Unbound, VPN bypass/enhanced QoS (CAKE or FlexQoS)). These are only naming a few add-on scripts but there's plenty availability to choose from and/or play with. The devs work hard and in their own spare time to make Asus routers a step above the rest IMHO.

On other brand devices, you would probably have to pay for these additional features.

I recommend you at least try the fw and see for yourself. If you're not satisfied you can always go back to stock but I highly doubted. Best of luck!

Last edited:

Yes, the latest firmware update is the 41700 for the GT-AX11000. I have not updated to it yet as I have heard others have had problems. Do you or anyone that has the GT-AX11000 updated yet and if so, any problems? Sometimes I wait to be sure no bugs, besides, my router is working fine at this time. Thanks for your input.

I'm updating now to 44266.
I have not updated to 41700, this new 44266 just showed up today. Maybe it corrects the problems with the last firmware update, 41700. Did you have any problems with either?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!