What's new

Release ASUS GT-AX6000 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.21617 (2202/11/24)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

xander73

Occasional Visitor
Version 3.0.0.4.388.21617
2022/11/24 55.46 MBytes
ASUS GT-AX6000 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.21617
Try more on ASUSWRT 2022 with new features at https://asus.click/ASUSWRT2022
1. Supported WireGuard VPN server and client.
2. Supported VPN fusion. It can easily achieve VPN connection to network devices like Smart TV, Game consoles and without installing the VPN client software.
3. Supported new devices connection notification.
4. Supported connection diagnostic on the ASUS router app.
5. Supported Instant Guard 2.0 which helps easily invite family or friends to join the VPN connection.
6. Upgraded parental control and added reward, new scheduler for flexible setting
7. Fixed USB icon issue in port status.
8. Fixed HTTP response splitting vulnerability. Thanks to Efstratios Chatzoglou, University of the Aegean.
9. Fixed status page HTML vulnerability. Thanks to David Ward.
10. Fixed CVE-2018-1160. Thanks to Steven Sroba.
11. Fixed cfg_server security issue.
12. Fixed miniupnpc vulnerabilities, CVE-2015-603, CVE-2017-1000494.
13. Fixed IPSec server vulnerability, CVE-2022-40617.
14. Improved connection speed with Verizon FIOS.
15. Fixed IPTV compatibility issue with Movistar. Thanks to Sergio de Luz from RedesZone.net.
16. Supported 2.5G WAN port and 2.5G LAN port Dual WAN

Please unzip the firmware file first then check the MD5 code.
MD5: 4a4654640c61411a3845299ae87e3666

I have a question about VPN and Asus Downloader, i will explain the best i can. On Firmware 386 when coonected to OpenVPN Client on the router when i run a Speedtest from inside the router and web based speed test i get about 240Mbps down, normal speeds. So now with 388 when i run a speed test from inside the router with OpenVPN and Wireguard enabled i get 1600Mbps down and it shows my location. If i run from web based speedtest.net i get 940Mbps Down and it shows different ip again which is normal. My Question is, with the Asus showing my true Speeds and location with 2 VPN'S enabled is it showing my real ip/location when i am using Asus Download Manager? With 386 it behaved the way i expected it, now no clue if Router side is protected.

So 386 OpenVPN Speeds 240Mbps Location U.S
388 OpenVPN Speeds 1600Mbps location My City

Last edited:
When the language is set to "Italian" some bugs appears in the gui. "Apply" button not work in the WAN page

Another weird issue on .388...Wireguard slows my Laptop down when i exclude it from the VPN, i need to do things sometimes with the laptop with no VPN. So when the Laptop is connected to the VPN i get 900Mbps more or less, when i exclude it from the VPN my speeds drop to 400Mbps. And if i turn Wireguard off while the laptop is excluded i get my full 1600Mbps speeds. So not really sure why the speeds drop when laptop is excluded, but runs faster when i am connected to the VPN, should it not be the other way around?

Edit! For now i have everything set back up using OpenVPN with laptop excluded and everything works the way it should.

Normal. WireGuard is incompatible with Flow Cache. Slows down the entire network.

Do you have IPv6 enabled?
No iPv6 enabled, laptop was excluded from any VPN, so technically no issue should be there. Laptop works fine when active on VPN, just when excluded i have issues. So the exclusion might be buggy? I bypassed it to do some banking as it does not like a VPN, so bypass it so other devices stay connected. I lose more than 50% of my speeds when not connected to anything at all. Re-enable it and it goes back to normal, i would think crappier speeds connected to the VPN and not when i am not.

Edit: With the laptop excluded i had a helleva time to get web pages to even open.

Last edited:
So, anyway to fix it? I would have thought excluded/bypassing the VPN i would have normal speeds and not slower. Right now i set it up on OpenVPN laptop still excluded and everything is fine. Once i enable Wireguard with Laptop excluded the speed drops. I am not a networking guy and Wireguard, VPN Fusion is new to me. I don't mind using OpenVPN most of my Devices are not that fast anyways and Laptop uses Windows 10 VPN app for now.

I was waiting so long for Wireguard support, and now it is here! Only to see Flow Cache gets disabled.

Originally as a temporary solution, I just set up a Raspberry Pi to run Wireguard, set up easily with PiVPN. Since I have a 24/7 mini PC running, I disconnected the Raspberry Pi and ran PiVPN in a Hyper-V virtual machine. Looks like I'll stick with running Wireguard this way.

16. Supported 2.5G WAN port and 2.5G LAN port Dual WAN

I'm interested in this router model, are we able to assign WAN to one of the 1GbE LAN ports in order to utilize the 2.5GbE WAN/LAN as a LAN port? I would like to use both of the 2.5GbE ports for devices and not resort to having to buy a switch just for a second device.

Not sure if i understand 1 Port wan is 2.5Gb and 1 lan is 2.5Gb plus 4 lan 1Gb ports. Do you want to make a 2nd lan at 2.5Gb?

Yup! I searched around for answers regarding this but haven't found anyone successfully using both 2.5 ports for LAN and a 1GbE port for WAN.

I have a new AX6000 on the way to replace an older AX58u+AC86u AiMesh thing.

I have both 2.4 and 5g on the same SSID, smart connect disabled. Doesn’t make sense to me now, seems to work… mostly. lol

does using separate SSIDs matter and does this smart connect thing work well? many 2.4 devices here.

I'll consider Merlin software, I don't use any of the features really.

When you use RMerlin's work, you already are using at least some of his features (true of stock too).

Separate SSIDs matter if you want to connect at the fastest connection rate possible.

'Smart' anything in a router isn't too smart in my experience. Turn it off

Either leave your existing SSID for the 2.4GHz client devices, or create two new SSIDs to actually 'know' what your devices are connecting to (by only associating them to the band you want them to be on).

When you use RMerlin's work, you already are using at least some of his features (true of stock too).

Separate SSIDs matter if you want to connect at the fastest connection rate possible.

'Smart' anything in a router isn't too smart in my experience. Turn it off

Either leave your existing SSID for the 2.4GHz client devices, or create two new SSIDs to actually 'know' what your devices are connecting to (by only associating them to the band you want them to be on).

all new SSIDs. ax6000 arrives tomorrow. Thank you

This new update literally broke everything.
Every tab doesn't work, buttons don't seem to give any commands.
I had to downgrade to version 3.0.0.4.386.49556 directly from the app via iOS, from the control panel via web it was not possible.

This new update literally broke everything.
Every tab doesn't work, buttons don't seem to give any commands.
I had to downgrade to version 3.0.0.4.386.49556 directly from the app via iOS, from the control panel via web it was not possible.
My GT-AX6000 is running smooth.

maybe do a hard reset an reinstall the curren version?

My GT-AX6000 is running smooth.

maybe do a hard reset an reinstall the curren version?

I tried it a bit with English language and seems like it works "good". But with Italian language (and maybe other languages as well), as another user said some weeks ago, it's broken af.
When the language is set to "Italian" some bugs appears in the gui. "Apply" button not work in the WAN page

I tried it a bit with English language and seems like it works "good". But with Italian language (and maybe other languages as well), as another user said some weeks ago, it's broken af.
Sorry to hear about your struggle.

for me running in german ist still better and more stable than any 386 bases firmware.

Good luck with further firmware revisions.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!