What's new

ASUS GT AX6000 Reset to default settings unexpectedly

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Exponential

Occasional Visitor
Hi all.

I'm hoping for a bit of advice from you guys about an unexpected change to my router firmware.

I have not felt the need to access my router setting after installing Merlin last year as I followed all the guides and set it up correctly.
However, after logging in the other day to double check everything was running ok, I noticed that the Merlin firmware had been completely removed and replaced by what I can only describe as a horrific looking ROG user interface.
I am really perplexed by this as I wasn't aware that my router could overwrite the Merlin firmware without some form of user input from myself.

I am now concerned that my original settings which I know were quite robust are now lost with the loss of the Merlin firmware.
Because the ROG user interface is so clunky and unintuitive, I don't recognise the different menus so can't seem to find any of my original setting locations.

What can I do about this and can anyone post a link to the latest guide/updates?

I run my electrical business from home so the security of my router is of paramount importance as incorrect settings will expose my NAS and database.

Hi all.

I'm hoping for a bit of advice from you guys about an unexpected change to my router firmware.

I have not felt the need to access my router setting after installing Merlin last year as I followed all the guides and set it up correctly.
However, after logging in the other day to double check everything was running ok, I noticed that the Merlin firmware had been completely removed and replaced by what I can only describe as a horrific looking ROG user interface.
I am really perplexed by this as I wasn't aware that my router could overwrite the Merlin firmware without some form of user input from myself.

I am now concerned that my original settings which I know were quite robust are now lost with the loss of the Merlin firmware.
Because the ROG user interface is so clunky and unintuitive, I don't recognise the different menus so can't seem to find any of my original setting locations.

What can I do about this and can anyone post a link to the latest guide/updates?

I run my electrical business from home so the security of my router is of paramount importance as incorrect settings will expose my NAS and database.
So after checking the firmware version, it looks like the router has auto-updated to the latest ASUS official firmware.

Auto-update firmware was set to "on" which I am sure I had reset to "off" last year?
Regardless, Merlin is now no longer on my router so I assume I can just go through the Merlin installation steps again?

So after checking the firmware version, it looks like the router has auto-updated to the latest ASUS official firmware.

Auto-update firmware was set to "on" which I am sure I had reset to "off" last year?
Regardless, Merlin is now no longer on my router so I assume I can just go through the Merlin installation steps again?
Yes, you can flash whatever firmware you want.
It's odd that it updated, as Asus' latest firmware is still from the end of June 2023.

I noticed that the Merlin firmware had been completely removed and replaced by what I can only describe as a horrific looking ROG user interface.
The Asus-Merlin firmware does not "auto update" itself unless you were running an add-on script like MerlinAU. If you have others in the home, like children/teens, then its possible one of them may have manually updated the firmware to the ROG firmware.

As already indicated, just re-flash (re-upload) the standard non ROG firmware for the router (either stock Asus or Asus-Merlin) and you should be fine.

You may want to (strongly) consider changing the router admin password as well as the WiFi passwords along with disabling (if enabled) WAN access to the administration interface. Also check you don't have any unauthorized LAN clients connected to the router either by WiFi or by wired Ethernet. If using Guest Network(s) do not allow the Guest Network to have Intranet access to the local LAN.

The Asus-Merlin firmware does not "auto update" itself unless you were running an add-on script like MerlinAU. If you have others in the home, like children/teens, then its possible one of them may have manually updated the firmware to the ROG firmware.

As already indicated, just re-flash (re-upload) the standard non ROG firmware for the router (either stock Asus or Asus-Merlin) and you should be fine.

You may want to (strongly) consider changing the router admin password as well as the WiFi passwords along with disabling (if enabled) WAN access to the administration interface. Also check you don't have any unauthorized LAN clients connected to the router either by WiFi or by wired Ethernet. If using Guest Network(s) do not allow the Guest Network to have Intranet access to the local LAN.
I am very confused by it all to be honest as my login to my router password is google generated (so lots of odd characters and numbers etc) followed by MFA for devices not included in my LAN.

I'm going to go through all of the settings to ensure I've not missed something somewhere.

Thank you!!

my router password is google generated (so lots of odd characters and numbers etc) followed by MFA for devices not included in my LAN.
I didn’t know MFA was possible for router login.

How do you configure that?

(Or is that only for WAN access? - which I disable)

It is very odd! I've re-flashed the Merlin firmware which was successful. Thanks for the input. :cool:
But, did you do a factory reset after flashing Merlin? Then do a manual configuration?

I didn’t know MFA was possible for router login.

How do you configure that?

(Or is that only for WAN access? - which I disable)
It's for WAN access as I need to access my NAS for work purposes while I'm away from home. Come to think of it, maybe I'm wrong about that? I have pretty much everything on MFA and it's been that long since I set it all up that I'm assuming I have that set up too!! :oops:

But, did you do a factory reset after flashing Merlin? Then do a manual configuration?
The very first time I did it last year yes, I completely reset the whole thing and started fresh. Assigning static IP addresses etc etc as everything was dynamic before that. I've checked my settings and they're identical to the setting I initially configured. All looks ok but there's always room for improvement!

When you do have it all set back up how you like it, remember you can back up all your settings, just incase!

The very first time I did it last year yes, I completely reset the whole thing and started fresh. Assigning static IP addresses etc etc as everything was dynamic before that. I've checked my settings and they're identical to the setting I initially configured. All looks ok but there's always room for improvement!
Would be a really good idea to do a factory reset now after the firmware issues you have experienced. Just flashing Merlin over Asus firmware, or the other way round, can leave settings from the prior firmware. A factory reset insures a clean operating system. When I set up an Asus router I get it to a minimally configured state, after a factory reset, then save a settings file. This "basic" settings file can be imported from the Asus setup screen Advanced to quickly get the router back to an operating state if issues happen. Note that settings files are firmware version specific. So, if the firmware gets upgraded a new settings file needs to be saved.

I am very confused by it all to be honest as my login to my router password is google generated (so lots of odd characters and numbers etc) followed by MFA for devices not included in my LAN.

I'm going to go through all of the settings to ensure I've not missed something somewhere.
You should do a hard factory reset after flashing firmware over what ever ROG firmware version got flashed to the router. A hard factory reset should clear out any possible setting differences between the two firmware's and restore the default settings for the new firmware you flashed over the top of the ROG firmware. Do not import a saved router.CFG file, instead do a manual configuration.

And as previously suggested, change the admin password to the router just in case someone gained access to the router and uploaded the ROG firmware.

You should do a hard factory reset after flashing firmware over what ever ROG firmware version got flashed to the router. A hard factory reset should clear out any possible setting differences between the two firmware's and restore the default settings for the new firmware you flashed over the top of the ROG firmware. Do not import a saved router.CFG file, instead do a manual configuration.

And as previously suggested, change the admin password to the router just in case someone gained access to the router and uploaded the ROG firmware.
I would like to do a hard factory reset but I have well over 50 devices with multiple static addresses etc etc and it took me AGES to set up and configure! I couldn't face doing that all over again!!

Wouldn't do any harm to reset the password I suppose.

it looks like the router has auto-updated to the latest ASUS official firmware

Your router didn't auto-upgrade to stock Asuswrt. I would keep closer eye on it in next few weeks. There is a chance you may need to use your warranty. ⚠️

The router crashed for unknown reason and rebooted, then boot looped few times and loaded the second firmware image which happens to be the last installed stock Asuswrt. This router model has two firmware images. Failing to boot from one will trigger boot from the other. The incident may range from rare glitch to failing hardware.

I would like to do a hard factory reset but I have well over 50 devices

You have to do hard factory reset and start clean after what happened. If it happens again - get RMA and send it back to Asus.

I would like to do a hard factory reset but I have well over 50 devices with multiple static addresses etc etc and it took me AGES to set up and configure! I couldn't face doing that all over again!!

Doesn't matter. After what you explained happened you should do a hard factory reset and manual reconfigure after flashing the the firmware just to be sure.
PS: On the manual DHCP reservations, do a forum search for how to backup and restore the reservations. There may be a way to do so on the stock Asus firmware. If using Asus-Merlin firmware there are a number of ways to backup and restore the manual DHCP reservation list. For example the add-on script YazDHCP is one such way.

Last edited:

Static IP addresses are assigned at the client. Manually assigned IP addresses are assigned by the router DHCP. To make it easy on yourself, take the time to assign the addresses at each client using a "block" of addresses. Say addresses over 192.168.50.100 and set the LAN/DHCP assigned addresses 192.168.50.2 to 192.168.50.149. Then the next time the router fails the only setting you will need to change is the DHCP pool 192.168.50.2 to 192.168.50.149. All the clients with static IP addresses will keep what they have. This is what I do and, trust me, the number of times I try different firmwares it sure saves effort. Oh, I do have a printer that gets a manually assigned address but only one!

The router crashed for unknown reason and rebooted, then boot looped few times and loaded the second firmware image which happens to be the last installed stock Asuswrt. This router model has two firmware images. Failing to boot from one will trigger boot from the other. The incident may range from rare glitch to failing hardware.

You have to do hard factory reset and start clean after what happened. If it happens again - get RMA and send it back to Asus.
second firmware ? two firmwares ? Seriously ?

Where did you get this information?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!