What's new

ASUS GT AX6000 Reset to default settings unexpectedly

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

second firmware ? two firmwares ? Seriously ?

Where did you get this information?
I looked through the manual for the GT-AX6000 and could find no mention of a fallback firmware. I did have a Linksys router at one time with two firmwares. But not Asus! Is this a best kept secret?

second firmware ? two firmwares ? Seriously ?
Yes. The HND models have two partitions mtd0 and mtd1 which contain the current and previous firmware images (the same as PC BIOSes do) in case the update process fails. The currently active image alternates each time the firmware is updated. Theoretically what Tech9 said could be true but without seeing a log file that's pure speculation.

Last edited:
without seeing a log file

With no logs there is no way to tell for sure, but I see two possible scenarios: 1) someone else did it; 2) the router crashed and boot looped after.

Firmware auto update pushed by Asus on Asuswrt-Merlin - less likely. Hacker with unusual activity - somewhat likely. Crash and auto recovery - more likely.

The reason my advice is to keep an eye on this unit. Hardware failure is a possible reason for what happened. Caused by Asuswrt-Merlin firmware - unlikely.

I don't know when boot from the second image is triggered on this specific model. On some other dual image routers it's a number of failed boot attempts.

Last edited:
Where did you get this information?
I looked through the manual for the GT-AX6000 and could find no mention of a fallback firmware

I know from some fun projects I've done on HND platform models.

The user has nothing to do with this feature and doesn't have to know about it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!